Author Topic: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop  (Read 6669 times)

Re: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Parker & Wiggins.  Essentially, they're being asked to be franchise guys.  If that's not high pressure, I don't know what is.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Dante Exum is a point guard playing on a team thats in the middle of an identity crisis with no truly elite attributes or skills (unlike Smart's Defense) while having to compete with Trey Burke who is arguably going through the same situation. Things could get ugly if they struggle to play together.

Aaron Gordon is going to be asked to do too much, too fast. He would really benefit from some structure but this year's Orlando team is a collection of young gunners who lack the cohesion of a Winning culture.

Both could easily be in worse situations  than Smart.

Exum has no elite skills?

Nope, and he looks very mediocre so far in NBA competition

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've only seen Exum in one game which was Friday night against the Clippers (the Booker/Griffin scuffle). 

Physically, Exum looks quite gifted.  He looks pretty raw, though.  I thought he looked a little aloof on the offensive end and nothing really stuck out at me besides some nifty passing.   Defensively, I thought he looked pretty lost out here. 

It's so early & he's so young.  You really can't draw much from him yet.  He's got time but I think people are going to need to be patient. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I don't think Wiggins has it tough in Minnesota.

Ricky Rubio is the one expected to lead that team this season.

Exactly why it won't be easy.  I don't see Rubio succeeding and then people will be looking for what replaced Love.  Wiggins will have pressure.  Also a lot from Jabari who I think will put up numbers.
Let's get real here. Its not hard for anyone to replace a stat padding, overhyped player who never led his team to the the playoffs in six seasons. That trade was good for Minny, many of the Wolves players felt Love was a bad body language and not great locker room guy. Maybe Cleveland and Lebron will get him to to man up but it remains to be seen.

Both the Wolves and Bucks wont have many expectations because the are young, developing teams.

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
trying to adjust to NBA at point quard position with a team in transition and injuries and play tough defense on NBA quards,i  assume brad is having him shoot away much like sullinger last year-so much to learn ,so many adjustment  and at point quard while playing ROY defense--- celts have held their own pre season against weak competition -just the thought of playing chicago
Toughest job? You mean playing on a team with few aspirations that will likely hand him more minutes than he deserves. Don't think so.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
trying to adjust to NBA at point quard position with a team in transition and injuries and play tough defense on NBA quards,i  assume brad is having him shoot away much like sullinger last year-so much to learn ,so many adjustment  and at point quard while playing ROY defense--- celts have held their own pre season against weak competition -just the thought of playing chicago
Toughest job? You mean playing on a team with few aspirations that will likely hand him more minutes than he deserves. Don't think so.

Learning to play the point guard is very tough considering he was more of a scoring guard in college.

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Yes and no.

He is standing in for one of the best true point guards in the NBA ....he is high pick ...people are critical...... He ll be compared to Rondo.

Lucky for him...he gets early training experience , with a team that realistically in't a playoff team.

So ...young coach and rebuilding team .....some pressure off.

Smart ...is type of person that likes contact, pressure and in your face basketball......I think he will thrive in this professional environment.

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 06:49:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Is it a tough job for him? No, not at all. First of all, he's lucky Stevens is his coach and not Doc. Second, he's lucky he will be coming off the bench behind a top PG in the league. Third, he's lucky his team has no playoff hopes and will focus on developing him and other young guys.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:33 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I was 100% against drafting Smart (Marcus Banks flashbacks)...But I have to say, I'm impressed by him so far...and I'm SO glad he's been thrown into the fire immediately---to play through his mistakes--and learn....No way he would be playing so much if Doc Rivers was still here (remember Rondo's rookie season-?).

This guy is a player---does so many things on the court...I would like to see him drive more, but it will come---as will his outside shot.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I am pretty sure Wiggins has the toughest job
1) they gave up Kevin Love for him (sure Love was going to leave as soon as he contact expired + they got more than Wiggins in exchange, but I do not expect Minny fans to understand such subtleties).
2) It is by now obvious that Parker is better than him.
3) It will be tough forming a personality in Minnesota. This team is in perpetual transition and everything is fluid. He would have been much better in Cleveland playing Pippen to LBJ's Jordan as Simmons put it.
I expect Minny fans to get disappointed and put extra pressure on him, and in any case the Media is already full with ironic remarks about his supposed lack of "consistency" (apparently a buzzword in the last couple of years in the NBA). This is a pity because he is a good player and an elite defender, he simply did not deserve the 1st place in the draft but this was not his mistake.
I really hope he makes it because I love his down to earth personality and his tough defense.

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Jabari Parker has all of Mormonism looking up to him

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Had no idea he was a Mormon until you mentioned it. Still I do not see the connection with his NBA career. Can you elaborate?

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
 i think point guard is the toughest position to walk into in NBA and getting to the hoop having to beat a quality NBA guard and then deal with MBA bigs with length and athleticism ,to be in control of getting the ball to right spots  to all the different players,adjust to NBA tempo -marcus missed a break away layup because of wingspan of defender and got bounced pretty good by power forward none of that would have happened last year-then has to play defense against NBA point guards a very tiring job at the level he plays- the pressure of expectations on others may be great but point guard is the most demanding position--smart has been fantastic for a rookie from gaining respect  for physical toughness and defensive pressure-on and off the ball-even the ref's give this guy the latitude to play pressure D-

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
i think point guard is the toughest position to walk into in NBA and getting to the hoop having to beat a quality NBA guard and then deal with MBA bigs with length and athleticism ,to be in control of getting the ball to right spots  to all the different players,adjust to NBA tempo -marcus missed a break away layup because of wingspan of defender and got bounced pretty good by power forward none of that would have happened last year-then has to play defense against NBA point guards a very tiring job at the level he plays- the pressure of expectations on others may be great but point guard is the most demanding position--smart has been fantastic for a rookie from gaining respect  for physical toughness and defensive pressure-on and off the ball-even the ref's give this guy the latitude to play pressure D-
Agreed:  the PG is the most demanding position. Still, I think Smart being drafted at 6 and not being traded with an All-Star player, has less pressure (media-wise) on his shoulders.

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Had no idea he was a Mormon until you mentioned it. Still I do not see the connection with his NBA career. Can you elaborate?

salt lake city