Author Topic: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop  (Read 6651 times)

Re: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:19:21 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Marcus Smart is a f ing warrior.

He's the first guy I'd pick to go to war with.

Alright but what about playing basketball.

I would draw your attention to the "and one" scored by Marcus yesterday.

I jumped out of my couch and screamed "FINALLY!"

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Playing as the #6 pick overall for this manic-depressive fanbase? I think so.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 12:43:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Coming off the bench for a bottom 5 team?  Nah.  Other rookies have more responsibility or pressure.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:38 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Living up to the hype as a #1 pick is by far the hardest rookie experience one can have. Let alone you being the keypiece of a superstar trade. No situation can match up

As far as randle having to listen to Kobe for 82 games.. IDK ITS PRETTY CLOSE BETWEEN  HIM AND WIGGINS  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:00:28 PM by CelticsFanFromNYC »

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 01:00:43 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Yeah, Smart's got it easier by having what I think is a strong coach and organization supporting him, and guiding him to work to his strengths as he evolves. Plus, once Rondo's back he's truly in a back up role. Turner probably gets the nod in the first few weeks 'til Rondo is back. Smart will spell the guards.

Parker is really being counted on to be a center piece of the Bucks team. I'd put the most pressure on him. Wiggins is considered the better all around player who still needs to develop his offense. Embiid is simply hurt.

Parker was billed as the NBA ready scorer who should produce the most in year 1. He felt he should be the #1 pick. He's been cited as having conditioning issues. He will be labeled a disappointment sooner than anyone else in the top 5 if he isn't productive early and often in his rookie year.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Dante Exum is a point guard playing on a team thats in the middle of an identity crisis with no truly elite attributes or skills (unlike Smart's Defense) while having to compete with Trey Burke who is arguably going through the same situation. Things could get ugly if they struggle to play together.

Aaron Gordon is going to be asked to do too much, too fast. He would really benefit from some structure but this year's Orlando team is a collection of young gunners who lack the cohesion of a Winning culture.

Both could easily be in worse situations  than Smart.

Exum has no elite skills?

Right now Wiggins has elite Athleticism. Parker has elite body control and pretty close to elite rebounding for a player of his type. Embiid already has elite shot blocking ability.  In college Gordon was an elite defender. Smart is already an elite defender. Randle was pretty close to elite in body control around the rim.

Sorry if that was tedious but it was meant to illustrate that right now each of these players have a defined NBA skill. If they don't develop any further they can each hang their hat on that one skill, what does Exum do right now that you can definitively say is NBA ready? He's a very good passer. A good shooter. A developing scorer.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely recognize that he has all star potential and I personally think he will develop into an excellent player, that's why he was taken 5th, but he also has potential to be like Harrison Barnes; a player who was touted in high school as being the next great wing player but has not yet shown that he's anything more than role player, albeit one who could still develop into an all star.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yes, I think so because his minutes are going to be limited relative to other rookies who deserve long playing time.

I don't consider Exum, Randle or Vonleh in difficult situations because I do not believe any of them are ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA. I think Wiggins and Parker are in good situations for themselves where they can play 30-35mpg, have some responsibility and grow as players.

I think Smart has it toughest because Rondo is ahead of him at PG. Bradley looks to have SG locked down. And even for backup minutes, Smart will have to compete against Turner and Thornton for backup SG minutes and maybe even against Will Bynum for backup PG minutes. I can see playing time being a detrimental issue for his development going forward.

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't think Wiggins has it tough in Minnesota.

Ricky Rubio is the one expected to lead that team this season. Heck, Thaddeus Young has more responsibility than Wiggins. As does Pekovic. Wiggins is the 4th / 5th guy on that team. He is not being expected to lead anyone anywhere. Just play a role. Ease into it.

Minnesota have done a good job protecting Wiggins and putting him into a situation were the pressure is not all on his shoulders -- well, right away at least. Long term it is on shoulders. Just not right away. 

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I don't think Wiggins has it tough in Minnesota.

Ricky Rubio is the one expected to lead that team this season.

Exactly why it won't be easy.  I don't see Rubio succeeding and then people will be looking for what replaced Love.  Wiggins will have pressure.  Also a lot from Jabari who I think will put up numbers.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Yes, I think so because his minutes are going to be limited relative to other rookies who deserve long playing time.

I don't consider Exum, Randle or Vonleh in difficult situations because I do not believe any of them are ready to play meaningful minutes in the NBA. I think Wiggins and Parker are in good situations for themselves where they can play 30-35mpg, have some responsibility and grow as players.

I think Smart has it toughest because Rondo is ahead of him at PG. Bradley looks to have SG locked down. And even for backup minutes, Smart will have to compete against Turner and Thornton for backup SG minutes and maybe even against Will Bynum for backup PG minutes. I can see playing time being a detrimental issue for his development going forward.

I didn't see Exum or Voneleh play, but I believe Randle is a beast and definitely will get at least 20 minutes right off the bat and will work his way up from there
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:51:34 PM by manl_lui »

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I didn't see Exum or Voneleh play, but I believe Randle is a beast and definitely will get at least 20 minutes right off the bat

I don't think Randle has defensive awareness or high enough skill level away from basket to be regular rotation player in NBA ... yet.

Garbage men who don't play defense do not rate highly with me.

If Randle does play, I expect him to be a liability.

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wiggins easily has the hardest job.  Really a difficult position.  I like his potential but he has Jabari behind him (who will at least initially put up better numbers) and coming in for Love on a team that wasn't even that good with Love.

Agreed.

I don't think Randle has defensive awareness or high enough skill level away from basket to be regular rotation player in NBA ... yet.

Garbage men who don't play defense do not rate highly with me.

If he does play, I expect him to be a liability.

Agree with this, too, but I think the Lakers will have to give him minutes by virtue of their roster.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think the toughest job belongs to Dante Exum.  Considering the hype surrounding him, and the state of the Jazz's roster, he should be getting minutes in Utah.  He's going to have a hard time earning those minutes, though. 

Rodney Hood, on the other hand, may end up having the easiest job.  I predict he'll play more minutes for that team than Dante this season. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 03:32:21 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
His job should be easy, low team and player expectations and will play behind Rondo, sounds simple to me.

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 04:13:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the toughest job belongs to Dante Exum.  Considering the hype surrounding him, and the state of the Jazz's roster, he should be getting minutes in Utah.  He's going to have a hard time earning those minutes, though. 

Rodney Hood, on the other hand, may end up having the easiest job.  I predict he'll play more minutes for that team than Dante this season.
Exum has the hardest transition.  He's basically a high schooler.  His body isn't ready yet.  He's really young.   He's going to struggle initially, but he has the tools to be a superstar long-term.  People compare him to Kobe... Kobe only averaged 7 points as a rookie.