Author Topic: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop  (Read 6630 times)

does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
trying to adjust to NBA at point quard position with a team in transition and injuries and play tough defense on NBA quards,i  assume brad is having him shoot away much like sullinger last year-so much to learn ,so many adjustment  and at point quard while playing ROY defense--- celts have held their own pre season against weak competition -just the thought of playing chicago

Re: does marcus smart have toughest job of rookie crop
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:47 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I think toughest rookie job is Andrew Wiggins proving to minny that hes the real deal and that they actually received legit value back when trading Love.. his shoes are filled right now

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Dante Exum is a point guard playing on a team thats in the middle of an identity crisis with no truly elite attributes or skills (unlike Smart's Defense) while having to compete with Trey Burke who is arguably going through the same situation. Things could get ugly if they struggle to play together.

Aaron Gordon is going to be asked to do too much, too fast. He would really benefit from some structure but this year's Orlando team is a collection of young gunners who lack the cohesion of a Winning culture.

Both could easily be in worse situations  than Smart.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think toughest rookie job is Andrew Wiggins proving to minny that hes the real deal and that they actually received legit value back when trading Love.. his shoes are filled right now

Toughest jobs go to Wiggins, Parker, and Embiid.

They all have the most pressure to succeed and have been each put in interesting destinations. Wiggins has the job of living up to the superstar hype and proving trading Love for him was the right move.

Parker has the tough job of turning a Milwaukee franchise around and again living up to expectations.

Embiid has the tough job of getting healthy, staying healthy, both in order to not disappoint his expectations and then turning a sixers team, that has potential of being the worst team in NBA history, completely around.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Dante Exum is a point guard playing on a team thats in the middle of an identity crisis with no truly elite attributes or skills (unlike Smart's Defense) while having to compete with Trey Burke who is arguably going through the same situation. Things could get ugly if they struggle to play together.

Aaron Gordon is going to be asked to do too much, too fast. He would really benefit from some structure but this year's Orlando team is a collection of young gunners who lack the cohesion of a Winning culture.

Both could easily be in worse situations  than Smart.

Exum has no elite skills?
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:44:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
TP to OP, Wiggins has the toughest shoes to fill with all the expectations.  He was the number one pick. If he is anything less than the best player in this year's rookie crop, he will be called a disappointment.  How's that for pressure??

Actually, I see Celticsfanfrom NY made that point, so I am giving him a TP too.  Your lucky day, OP, you get it just for posting the topic.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'd go with Wiggins/Parker over Smart.

Randle also has to deal with Kobe, which is no cup of tea.

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:59:05 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

what he said. Wiggins has the most to prove at this point. Minny trading their superstar away and receiving an unknown #1 pick back. I think this is only done twice in NBA history (saw it on yahoo so someone has to correct me if I am wrong). Wiggins is the 2nd #1 pick to be traded without playing a single game for the team that drafted him.

That being said Parker also has a lot to prove because he and Wiggins were fighting for that #1 pick spot. I think everyone will be looking at the top 2 pick this year. I think people who are overly hyped has a lot more to prove than the underdogs. As said, people who are underdogs tend to be overlooked, so not much pressure as not many people are watching you. The pressure is on when the entire world is looking at you, how you're carrying your team, are you the real deal, are you the future, and etc.

Smart has a lot to prove himself but in my opinion, not as much as Parker and Wiggins.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:09 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
smart coming in with defensive pedigree and rightfully so-he has to give 110%on defensive end adjust to nba strength and quickness  of not just quards-then turn around adjust offensively and learn where to get the ball to 5 other players and learn to attack the hoop against nba bigs-jabari a power forward and wiggins small forward  much less demanding  than pg position--

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If he has the toughest job, it's going to help him that he's the toughest guy.  I'm not worried about Marcus. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Out of the top picks, Smart might have it among the easiest. And no, I don't think Stevens is encouraging Smart to take these many 3s or to have this poor of a shot selection. Yes, Stevens might want him to shoot the ball, but not at this rate and definitely not at the expense of pretty much the rest of the rest of his game.

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Marcus Smart is a f ing warrior.

He's the first guy I'd pick to go to war with.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 11:13:34 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Alright but what about playing basketball.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Wiggins easily has the hardest job.  Really a difficult position.  I like his potential but he has Jabari behind him (who will at least initially put up better numbers) and coming in for Love on a team that wasn't even that good with Love.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Alright but what about playing basketball.

I would draw your attention to the "and one" scored by Marcus yesterday.