Author Topic: Thank you Paul Pierce!  (Read 2451 times)

Thank you Paul Pierce!
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Over the past few months my mind has often been preoccupied with what the Celtics might be like in the coming season.  We witnessed trades with Cleveland, promising draft picks, the signing of Evan Turner, a possible ‘find’ in Marcus Thornton, developing young players, newish coach, etc.  This has been quite an off season with lots to look forward to.  I’m pretty excited by our prospects for the coming year.

However, this morning I woke up in the middle of the night and none of this seemed to matter.  All I could think about was that I missed Paul Pierce playing for the Boston Celtics.  I thought of the years of excitement, his boundless energy and his gifted basketball skills.  I remembered him carrying the team for almost a decade without complaint.  And, no matter whom the Celtics played, with Pierce in the lineup, there was almost always hope the Celtics could or would win.

After years of being the team’s main force he embraced megastars Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and the All Star play of Rajon Rondo, even though it meant sharing the limelight.   With this acceptance came an NBA Championship and several winning seasons.… a dream come true. 

Success and fame didn’t to go his head for he remained humble, generous and good natured until the day he left. 

Currently, Paul plays for the Washington Wizards, but he’ll never be forgotten in Beantown.  Thank you Paul for the wonderful  times and great memories.   May you be forever successful!

Tribute to Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett ….. http://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2014/01/26/boston-celtics-tribute-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-brooklyn-nets

I’m still looking forward to the coming season… just not forgetting the past. 

Re: Thank you Paul Pierce!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Over the past few months my mind has often been preoccupied with what the Celtics might be like in the coming season.  We witnessed trades with Cleveland, promising draft picks, the signing of Evan Turner, a possible ‘find’ in Marcus Thornton, developing young players, newish coach, etc.  This has been quite an off season with lots to look forward to.  I’m pretty excited by our prospects for the coming year.

However, this morning I woke up in the middle of the night and none of this seemed to matter.  All I could think about was that I missed Paul Pierce playing for the Boston Celtics.  I thought of the years of excitement, his boundless energy and his gifted basketball skills.  I remembered him carrying the team for almost a decade without complaint.  And, no matter whom the Celtics played, with Pierce in the lineup, there was almost always hope the Celtics could or would win.

After years of being the team’s main force he embraced megastars Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and the All Star play of Rajon Rondo, even though it meant sharing the limelight.   With this acceptance came an NBA Championship and several winning seasons.… a dream come true. 

Success and fame didn’t to go his head for he remained humble, generous and good natured until the day he left. 

Currently, Paul plays for the Washington Wizards, but he’ll never be forgotten in Beantown.  Thank you Paul for the wonderful  times and great memories.   May you be forever successful!

Tribute to Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett ….. http://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2014/01/26/boston-celtics-tribute-paul-pierce-kevin-garnett-brooklyn-nets

i applaud your celtics spirit and loyalty, but really, if pp's departure is still keeping you up at night you may need a new hobby.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

i applaud your celtics spirit and loyalty, but really, if pp's departure is still keeping you up at night you may need a new hobby.  ;D
TP
I see Potapenko in my nightmares, does this mean I need a hobby too, doctor?

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think Paul Pierce was somewhat underrated (or perhaps underappreciated is a better word) because he was never one of the 2 or 3 ultra-elite players but his consistent contribution at a very high level over so many seasons is something I am glad I was able to watch.  He did have some (very few) antics along the way that I could have done without but overall, he as really all about the game and winning and not about Paul Pierce (which unfortunately is less common than it should be).

He will be able to get on the court for another few seasons (there will be teams that still want him) but it may be about time for him to let go, sign with the Celtics for a day, and hang them up.  Then we can restart the debates about where he ranks with all time Celtics.

Bird and Russell are of course the top two but after that, there are several players along with Pierce for whom arguments could be made for #3 (Cousy, McHale, Heinsohn, Havlecik, etc.).  Pierce is right in there with some great Celtic and NBA players.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Amen! Let's move on!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:58:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

TP
good gosh yes, and immediately.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:03:13 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

TP
good gosh yes, and immediately.  ;D
Writing in the Celtics blog doesn't really count, does it?

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I wish him the best with the exciting young Wizards.  I feel that this is a great situation for him this season.

Would love to see that team make some noise, with Paul Pierce playing a crucial role.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
There is nothing wrong with paying tribute to The Truth. Simply put one of the greatest Celtics ever.

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I thought this thread was going to thank Paul Pierce for not resigning with the Nets.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
By the way, the Ukraine Train is one of my idols. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
By the way, the Ukraine Train is one of my idols.
Then I am sure you feel happy we got Zeller: excellent hand eye coordination, finesse under pressure, good technique, impeccable decision making, and he can miss a shot in a wide variety of ways.
Btw, "potapos" in medieval Greek means 'despicable'. Probably some Greek educated Orthodox priest played a bad joke on one of his great-great grandfathers.
http://el.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%80%CF%8C%CF%82