Author Topic: Who makes the playoffs in the West?  (Read 1918 times)

Who makes the playoffs in the West?
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:41:36 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Man, the Western conference looks stacked again this year, with a bunch of good teams inevitably being left out of the playoffs due to the depth of the Conference.

Here's one early prediction.

Playoffs:

LA Clippers
Oklahoma City
San Antonio
Golden State
Houston
Portland
New Orleans
Denver

Leaving out:

Dallas
Phoenix
Memphis

Long shots:

Sacramento
Minnesota
Utah

Bottom:

LA Lakers

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Who makes the playoffs in the West?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 01:50:34 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Long shots:

Sacramento
Minnesota
Utah

Bottom:

LA Lakers

I have Sacramento as bottom team in West.

The Lakers and Jazz competing for 2nd and 3rd last.

Then Minnesota 4th from bottom and Denver quite a bit ahead but 5th from bottom and out of the playoffs. Probably Phoenix in 6th.

The next 9 teams all good enough to make the playoffs. No idea who misses out. Probably whoever suffers the worst injuries.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:58:01 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I wouldn't be surprised if the Blazers had a hiccup or two this season after all their success last season.

(1) Their bench is still quite weak which leaves them vulnerable to any issues with starting lineup
(2) They got career-years out of every single player in their starting lineup last year.
(3) Team defense is still a problem area. Not much to fall back on when shots aren't falling. 

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:06:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I think OKC, GSW and LAC are most secure playoff teams in the West. Strong starting lineups, star power and very good depth.

San Antonio and Dallas in second tier. A bit more vulnerable due to older stars.

Then third tier with Memphis, Houston, New Orleans and Portland. Memphis have strongest team from top to bottom but heavily reliant on Marc Gasol (who an injury too could severely swing postseason chances). New Orleans look pretty solid. Should be a top defensive team with AD and Asik. Lot of other qualities too (Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Ryan Anderson, Eric Gordon). Houston have best star power but questionable depth. Portland have dodgy depth too. Less star power but more balance in starting 5 than Houston.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:12:23 AM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Highly doubt nuggets makes the playoffs or comes eve close. I think Mavs, Suns and Grizzlies are much better than nuggets.

Playoffs:

LA Clippers
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
Golden State
Houston
Portland
Dallas
New Orleans (if the play team basketball)

Leaving out:

Memphis
Phoenix
Denver
Utah
Minnesota
LA Lakers
Sacramento

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:46 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Spurs
Thunder
Clippers
Mavericks
Warriors
Blazers
Suns
Pelicans

Kings
Grizzles
Rockets

Nuggets
Minnesota
LAL
Utah

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:52:57 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets

Notes: There's no way a deeper Memphis squad drops out of the playoffs this year if they were able to finish 18 games above .500 last year with both Gasol and Allen missing significant time. Depth is concerning for both Portland and Houston. Dallas did a great job this offseason bringing in talented pieces that fit around Ellis and Dirk. Adding a perimeter big like Hawes is a great complement to a strong interior frontcourt for the Clippers, but they're postseason aspirations would strengthen even more with a better SF - although Barnes is an excellent option in the meantime.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:05:45 AM by rondoallaturca »

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:01:21 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Spurs
OKC
Clippers
Mavs
Golden State
Memphis
Portland

Not sure about the last one. I'm kind of rooting for the Rockets to hit the skids though...

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Spurs
Clippers
Thunder
Grizzlies
Mavericks
Warriors
Blazers
Rockets

+1

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:34 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
SAS
LAC
OKC
Portland
Houston
Golden State will make it to the playoffs.
DAL, Denver, Phoenix, Memphis and New Orleans will fight for the remaining positions. I feel DAL has the best chances among this group.
Sacramento and Minessota are long shots. (Although SAC's roster is so different from last year that it is impossible to predict how they will play).
LAL and Utah are certainly out.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 08:12:10 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
San Antonio
Golden State
Oklahoma City
Dallas
LA Clippers
Houston
Portland
Memphis
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 08:31:47 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Man, the West is tough. Here's how I see it at the moment:

1) San Antonio Spurs- Defending champs get the benefit of the doubt. Every season for the past five I thought they were finally going to fall apart due to age. I've been wrong every time. I think Ginobli will continue to decline, but Duncan and Parker continue to be consistent. I think Leonard has a break-out season that makes up for any of the Big 3 declining. And I think that Kyle Anderson was one of the best players in the draft, and that it was a major victory for them to get him so slow. I'm shocked he fell as low as he did.
2) Los Angeles Clippers- This will be a fun team. I think Jordan continues to make strides on both ends of the court, Blake Griffin is already a force of nature, and I liked their off-season.
3) Oklahoma City Thunder- I had a hard time deciding whether to make them 2) or 3). With Durant's injury, I think they come back down to earth just a little. I expect all of the seeds in the West to be super competitive and down to the wire. I think they have a terrible coach, which keeps them down a bit.
4) Memphis Grizzlies- They were 50-32 last season, but they were 37-15 after Marc Gasol came back from injury, which translates to 58 wins over a full season. I think they drafted well (I like Jordan Adams and thought Stokes could go in the 1st round) and will remain healthy this year. I think Vince Carter still has a good season in the tank (he played well in Dallas last year), and I think Quincy Poindexter is healthy and improved. I almost put them at the 3) seed instead of OKC, actually.
5) Golden State Warriors- SPLASH! I think they continue to improve and have another good regular season, followed by another entertaining playoff loss.
6) Houston Rockets- I feel weird putting them this low, because I think they will still be good this year. But the West is just too stacked, Dwight isn't in his prime anymore, they lost Parsons, and Harden sucks at defense. I think they narrowly lose out on a higher seed, but only by a matter of 3-4 games at most. Seriously, I think seeds 2-8 will all be within 5 or 6 points of each other.
7) Portland Trailblazers- Same with the Rockets. I like this team and think they will have a great season, but I think the Rockets and Warriors are still marginally better. Lillard is a great player, and I like Batum/Matthews/Aldridge, but I think ultimately the Rockets and Warriors have real stars in Harden and Curry that keep them just on top of Portland.
8) Dallas Mavericks- Dirk is timeless. Parsons is a good player, and I think he'll play better under Carlisle than under McHale. I think Chandler has a good season again (last year's Knick team was utterly dysfunctional, and it was Chandler's defense that propelled them to 54 wins the year before.).

9) Phoenix Suns- How the heck is the West so stacked? I hate hate HATE that I have Phoenix missing the post-season, because it's great team. I would love them to make the playoffs. But the other teams in the West are simply better. I think they have some struggles this season juggling the line-up, and I expect Bledsoe to be gone at some point.
10) Denver Nuggets- I like Faried and some of their pieces. Still don't really see a team there, though. And they will always win 35 home games.
11) New Orleans Pelicans- Not yet, Unibrow. Not yet. In the next couple of years, I expect them to become a force to be reckoned with. But not yet. Really, they could be anywhere from 9-12, I think. I just don't see them in the playoffs.
12) Utah Jazz- Again, like their youth and their pieces, but not a cohesive team.
13) Los Angeles Lakers- God only willing. I really hope they don't get a top 5 pick.
14) Minnesota Timberwolves- No Love for Minny. I think Rubio puts up some numbers and Pekovic propels them to a few wins this season. But they will be terrible. Wiggins will be good some day, but I don't think he is going to come into the league as a superstar.
15) Sacramento Kings- I expect Cousins to have a monster year. But without Thomas I don't see anyone else on the team really getting anything done and they sink into the gutter.

To be honest, though, you could talk me into just about any other possible line-up of seeds this year. The West is WIIIIIIDE open. A lot of good teams, and a lot of volatile teams that could go in multiple directions. I feel like there are a bunch of teams that could either make a playoff run OR land deep in the lottery, and I wouldn't be surprised either way.