Author Topic: Would Trading the Youth And/Or Picks for Vets Break Your Heart?  (Read 4120 times)

Re: Would Trading the Youth And/Or Picks for Vets Break Your Heart?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No -- I am hoping for a trade.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 08:39:14 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
If they are impact vets then no...  I'm not even sure Sully/Oly are long-term starters in this league... let alone future stars.   Smart might end up really good, but we've yet to see him play in an actual NBA game... it's not like we can really be that attached to him.

Different from when Al Jefferson was moved.  I had been watching that kid develop for a few years and he looked like he was a lock for stardom.  Couldn't complain too much, because we got KG out of it, but it was still tough to see him go.  He never reached his full potential, but Big Al is now an all-star big leading teams to the playoffs.

Smart and Sullinger have All star potential.
Maybe Smart... can't tell right now.  He looks pretty bad in preseason, but he's just a kid.

But I doubt it with Sully.  Maybe he reaches full-time starter, but I'd be surprised to see him playing on an all-star team ever.   Doesn't seem to have the potential.  Hope I'm wrong.

Smart and sulliger have the tools to be all stars just because smart had a bad preseason doesn't mean he won't be an all star

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Same here.

This collection of "talent" on the C's roster doesn't inspire me at all. Which of course is why I doubt we will see any trade happening in the near future that nets us the type of vets I would like to see come to Boston.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Same here.

This collection of "talent" on the C's roster doesn't inspire me at all. Which of course is why I doubt we will see any trade happening in the near future that nets us the type of vets I would like to see come to Boston.

The celtics have plenty of talent it's not superstar talent but it gives me some hope for the future espcially if rondo stays

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Were our hearts not already broken in the aftermath of Danny trading KG and our Captain?

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If they are impact vets then no...  I'm not even sure Sully/Oly are long-term starters in this league... let alone future stars.   Smart might end up really good, but we've yet to see him play in an actual NBA game... it's not like we can really be that attached to him.

Different from when Al Jefferson was moved.  I had been watching that kid develop for a few years and he looked like he was a lock for stardom.  Couldn't complain too much, because we got KG out of it, but it was still tough to see him go.  He never reached his full potential, but Big Al is now an all-star big leading teams to the playoffs.

Maybe Smart... can't tell right now.  He looks pretty bad in preseason, but he's just a kid.

But I doubt it with Sully.  Maybe he reaches full-time starter, but I'd be surprised to see him playing on an all-star team ever.   Doesn't seem to have the potential.  Hope I'm wrong.

Smart and sulliger have the tools to be all stars just because smart had a bad preseason doesn't mean he won't be an all star
Smart could do it, I guess.  Way too early to tell. 

I doubt it with Sully though.  I think he might have long term starter potential maybe.  If he can remain healthy and dump the fat, he could peak as a poor man's Paul Millisap... maybe he'll sneak into an all-star game some day.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Smart could do it, I guess.  Way too early to tell. 

I doubt it with Sully though.  I think he might have long term starter potential maybe.  If he can remain healthy and dump the fat, he could peak as a poor man's Paul Millisap... maybe he'll sneak into an all-star game some day.

I think there's a solid chance he could elevate his game from " poor man's Paul Millsap" up to simply " Fat Paul Millsap". But I'm an optimist.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
From the responses in this thread, you can see that even amongst Celtics fans, our young guys are not valued enough to trade for legitimate vet all-star type players. In my opinion, Sullinger and Smart have all-star talent, but that is far from the view in here, never mind in the league in general. Considering that is the case, we won't get good enough return for them to trade them. Never mind KO, even Ainge called him a role player when he drafted him.

For example, just look at the Kevin Love trade. Not once were our assets ever considered as a top 3 offer, and that had nothing to do with Lebron. Minnesota wanted Wiggins, who is far from a sure thing IMO, much more than a combo of Sullinger/KO Plus #5 pick.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:03:41 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

I'd argue that AlJeff has reached his potential.  Did anyone see him as being more than a 20/10 marginal all-star talent?  I don't remember anyone thinking he would grow into a premium defender or 25+ppg scorer.  Besides the knee injury he's had a pretty good run.

Big Al has had a great run -- and he's only 29.   A case could be made that he's among the best players ever to have not appeared in an all-star game.   

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No. It needs to happen and is going to happen.

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 07:32:13 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if we're trading sully, Kelly and smart to get steve nash and carlos boozer then id be upset.

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2014, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Were our hearts not already broken in the aftermath of Danny trading KG and our Captain?
no
ainge did the right thing and moved both his guys to a team that should have been able to challenge for a championship
it would not have been right to let pp and kg play out their careers with a bad team
i was more in shock at what we got for both guys
one year removed, pp has left the nets, kg will suit up for them part time this year
have to wait and see just how good we get the upper hand in this trade

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2014, 07:53:10 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
if we're trading sully, Kelly and smart to get steve nash and carlos boozer then id be upset.

Lol yeah.

It depends on the vets.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14