Poll

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?

Yes, I'd give up ONE of them- whichever player Atlanta wanted.
28 (45.2%)
No, I'd rather keep our young guys and wait to see what happens with Rondo first.
12 (19.4%)
I'd only give up Sullinger- we can keep Olynyk as a stretch PF for the future
5 (8.1%)
I'd only give up Olynyk- we can keep Sullinger as our rebounding PF for the future
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?  (Read 12846 times)

Re: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yes.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Yes I would. I'd be willing to move both for that matter.

This.

Ditto.  (Clearly, all mods think alike.)

Clearly all of you need to be fired!  :P

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
For the 2010 Horford, yes.  I'd give up one or the other.

For the current Horford, No.  Too many injuries and both have been pectorals.  For a guy whose game is centered around banging with the bigs, I can't take the risk.  Sullinger and Olynyk are extremely young in their games still and could still really become great players in the league.  Their just getting started.

I don't think it would take one of them to land Horford.  There is a reason he's available.  It's not like the Hawks couldn't use him.  Therefore I think his trade value has sunk, and could be had for a package like Bass or Green + a mid to late first rounder.

I'd rather take a guy with surgery to his pectoral then his back. Don't forget sully had the dreaded microdisectomy. Not good for an athlete.

The suspicion about Horford is that he will continue to suffer pectoral tears.  Those are often season-ending injuries.  Without a clean bill of health on this, it would be the height of folly to make such a trade. 

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I just see Kelly as never being a guy that can consistently be successful down low as back to basket guy, he's way more of a perimeter guy imo. making him a better fit with horford.

Not really the case thus far. KO shot 59% in the paint last season. For comparison, Zach Randolph, a guy who is noted for finishing over size, shot 54.1%, Sullinger shot 53.2% and David Lee shot 59.7%. KO has no problem finishing in the paint. Unlike either Lee or Randolph, KO also shoots 34.2% from 3pt land.

I don't see how it really helps us without a true center. Horford is a great player, but he's a PF, not a Center.

Horford is a true center. He's spent 82% of his NBA minutes at the center position and he's excelled there. You don't have to be 7ft tall to be a center, especially not in today's NBA. No, Horford isn't going to swat away shots like the best shot blockers in our league. That isn't his game. He will play the position competitively. Pairing him with a rim-protecting center might be a great match. No idea as it's never happened in his career. I'd certainly be interested to see it. I will say that he's had a very good career as a center and I'd happily trade one of our young bigs for him.

Yes -- Rondo and Horford with good supporting cast would make Boston a prime time free agent destination giving Boston excellent opportunity to add a 3rd star to the mix via free agency and in doing so put Boston back in Championship contention in near-future.

This

« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I just see Kelly as never being a guy that can consistently be successful down low as back to basket guy, he's way more of a perimeter guy imo. making him a better fit with horford.

Not really the case thus far. KO shot 59% in the paint last season. For comparison, Zach Randolph, a guy who is noted for finishing over size, shot 54.1%, Sullinger shot 53.2% and David Lee shot 59.7%. KO has no problem finishing in the paint. Unlike either Lee or Randolph, KO also shoots 34.2% from 3pt land.

I don't see how it really helps us without a true center. Horford is a great player, but he's a PF, not a Center.

Horford is a true center. He's spent 82% of his NBA minutes at the center position and he's excelled there. You don't have to be 7ft tall to be a center, especially not in today's NBA. No, Horford isn't going to swat away shots like the best shot blockers in our league. That isn't his game. He will play the position competitively. Pairing him with a rim-protecting center might be a great match. No idea as it's never happened in his career. I'd certainly be interested to see it. I will say that he's had a very good career as a center and I'd happily trade one of our young bigs for him.

Yes -- Rondo and Horford with good supporting cast would make Boston a prime time free agent destination giving Boston excellent opportunity to add a 3rd star to the mix via free agency and in doing so put Boston back in Championship contention in near-future.

This

Though Horford has played C, it's more due to ATL not having a real one, or a good one, and eventually Horford has done well enough, and they were able to get a better PF than they could a real C, so that's what they have.

Horford isn't the player I'd be looking to land, and so wouldn't offer up the farm to bring him in, but he's a heck of a player and would help us for sure.

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2014, 07:38:42 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
For the 2010 Horford, yes.  I'd give up one or the other.

For the current Horford, No.  Too many injuries and both have been pectorals.  For a guy whose game is centered around banging with the bigs, I can't take the risk.  Sullinger and Olynyk are extremely young in their games still and could still really become great players in the league.  Their just getting started.

I don't think it would take one of them to land Horford.  There is a reason he's available.  It's not like the Hawks couldn't use him.  Therefore I think his trade value has sunk, and could be had for a package like Bass or Green + a mid to late first rounder.

I'd rather take a guy with surgery to his pectoral then his back. Don't forget sully had the dreaded microdisectomy. Not good for an athlete.

Definitely not forgotten.  Sullinger is only 22 though.

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
This.  I love Horford's game and effort, but he's often banged up and I think playing the 5 takes its toll on him.  Has he got as much left in the tank as Sully or Olynyk?  Not willing to take the risk to find out. 

Though Horford has played C, it's more due to ATL not having a real one, or a good one, and eventually Horford has done well enough, and they were able to get a better PF than they could a real C, so that's what they have.

Horford isn't the player I'd be looking to land, and so wouldn't offer up the farm to bring him in, but he's a heck of a player and would help us for sure.

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 03:44:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If Horford is once again on the block by the trade deadline, then I can see Ainge being interested.

I also feel a package featuring Sullinger, maybe a couple expirings (Green/Bass) and a future pick gets it done.

This wouldn't be a bad move, regardless of how good or bad the team is.

Horford would then have (correct me if I am wrong) 1-2 years left on his contract after this season.

If the Celts can get either Gasol or Jordan next summer, then I think Horford playing the 4 alongside either one would make a great front court (it be even better if Rondo is still here.)

Remember, Atlanta has been stuck in that 6-8th seed territory for a while now so I've got to think sooner or later something will have to give with them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:37:19 PM by gpap »

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2014, 04:01:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I also feel a package featuring Sullinger, maybe a couple exprings (Green/Bass) and a future pick gets it done.
I bet it would -- that's a bit of an overpayment for Horford.  Sully, Bass and a late first should be more than enough.

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
This.  I love Horford's game and effort, but he's often banged up and I think playing the 5 takes its toll on him.  Has he got as much left in the tank as Sully or Olynyk?  Not willing to take the risk to find out. 

I think folks forget that the reason Horford plays center is because the Josh Smith at small forward experiment failed in Atlanta years and years ago now.  Zaza Pachulia played center until he got hurt, I think.

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 04:44:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Was against trading Sully for him a week ago, and nothing I've seen since then has changed my mind, just the opposite in fact.

It's obvious that I value Sullinger tremendously, and I actually like Horford a lot, but I think the combination of risk + trade assets needed to get the deal done (with the assumption that Sully would be one of them) is too high a price.

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would absolutely do it.

However, if it is not going to happen, I would at the very least leak that the trade was being considered so other teams put them on the same level subconsciously.

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I would trade either/both if need be, but would really hope that we could keep Sullinger. Olynyk, Bass, pick(s)  might just be enough to get it done seeing as how good of a fit he is in Budenholzer's system.

He can Pass, Handle and Shoot from distance. If that system could turn Pero Antic into a serviceable, floor spacing, NBA big man it could be just the right fit for cerebral player like KO.

Meanwhile we get to continue to ride Sullinger's hot start to see if it's a true evolution or if he'll just revert back too the mean further into the long season.

PG Rondo
SG Bradely
SF Green
PF Sullinger
C Horford

Bench Mob consists of Smart, Turner, Thorton, Young, Zeller. Look's like a playoff team to me, and one without it's money tied up in any obscene long term contracts.  I also think the Horford is a PF argument is a bit tired, no question that when he was younger he would have liked to play PF but Stevens just mentioned the other day that PF's and C's do the same thing offensively in our system anyways. He wouldn't be asked to Bang like he would in Doc's system just effectively operate in the low mid and high posts.

While Horford and Sullinger could definitely work in the short term, looking forward I know everyone points to him attracting a C like Marc Gasol but how about his old gator counterpart Joakim Noah. That right there would be a championship level Front Court and one with proven chemistry. I take Noah to be the guy who'd be open to cementing his legacy by joining the ranks of Great Celtic big men.

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2014, 08:18:42 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
I would be willing to give up both of them along with bass. Maybe include the nets picks in 16 and 18. Then I would try to move jeff green and marcus thornton maybe clips 15 and cavs 16 to denver for gallinari and jj hickson. The nuggets might be looking to move hickson to try and create playing time for nurkic as he had a very strong preseason.
Starting lineup
Rondo
Bradley
Gallinari
Hickson
Horford

Then go after Marc Gasol in the offseason.

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I probably would, though it would be hard to part with Sully, who is perhaps my favorite player on the team. But by the way, Salmons isn't on the Hawks. He was waived back in June.