Poll

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?

Yes, I'd give up ONE of them- whichever player Atlanta wanted.
28 (45.2%)
No, I'd rather keep our young guys and wait to see what happens with Rondo first.
12 (19.4%)
I'd only give up Sullinger- we can keep Olynyk as a stretch PF for the future
5 (8.1%)
I'd only give up Olynyk- we can keep Sullinger as our rebounding PF for the future
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?  (Read 12850 times)

Re: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2014, 05:13:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Another strong preseason game from Sullinger today, I'll stick with my stance that I'm not moving Sully for Horford.

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2014, 06:07:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Trading either for Horford straight up is a no-brainer if Horford can be flipped for more than the other 2. Simple math on this one. If Horford can get you a much better return than either of the other two, you do the trade since we are in collect asset mode.

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2014, 06:11:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
Noooooooooooooo......not a center......redundant
How is he redundant when he is better than any other big on the team? Does that mean you wouldn't trade for DeRozen because we already have to many SG?

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
For me it comes down to 1 thing. Would Rondo and Stevens be happy with Horford as part of a core to get Rondo to sign here long term and contend now? If so, then yes, I'd even give up both Sullinger and KO. If either one has some doubt, then no.

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
For me it comes down to 1 thing. Would Rondo and Stevens be happy with Horford as part of a core to get Rondo to sign here long term and contend now? If so, then yes, I'd even give up both Sullinger and KO. If either one has some doubt, then no.
Best answer.

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Best answer.

Horford is on a two year deal, so I don't think it'll matter to Rondo all that much particularly with Horford's injury risks, unless they can lock-up Horford on an extension prior to it.

So to me Horford is not an asset that should weigh much in Rondo's opinion on the team's direction, unless having Horford DOES bring another free-agent with him.

But the injury risk with Horford still seems to me to be of high risk.

I think Sully will have a big productive year and at a fraction of the cost, I rather keep him and all the assets required that would've brought Horford here and look for an alternative deal. If not, I'll take my chances in free-agency.

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I have wanted Horford to be a celtic since his rookie year.  BUT as this point I'm not sure that I would trade KO or Sully for him.  Mainly because he is not a dominate game changer.  When healthy he is better than both our YOUNG guys.  He is a great fit into a team looking for a solid solid center.  I would rather get someone like okafor for pennies compared to horford.  I understand he is probably going to a contender mid season.  But the point is I like Horford but with injuries to him and contracts I wouldn't give up (too much) of the future.  Now if you were to say….Bass, first round pick(or 2?) and a guard then maybe.
I mean sooner or later Ainge has to do something with all these draft picks?? right?  ::)

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 05:01:59 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Good point. I guess another question you could ask is...
If we traded for Horford and Rondo left for another team in free agency, would Horford have the same trade value as Olynyk and 2 first round picks with one season left on his deal?
(assuming he plays like the 2010 Al Horford and stays injury free).

Tough call.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:28 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I have wanted Horford to be a celtic since his rookie year.  BUT as this point I'm not sure that I would trade KO or Sully for him.  Mainly because he is not a dominate game changer.  When healthy he is better than both our YOUNG guys.  He is a great fit into a team looking for a solid solid center.  I would rather get someone like okafor for pennies compared to horford.  I understand he is probably going to a contender mid season.  But the point is I like Horford but with injuries to him and contracts I wouldn't give up (too much) of the future.  Now if you were to say….Bass, first round pick(or 2?) and a guard then maybe.
I mean sooner or later Ainge has to do something with all these draft picks?? right?  ::)

Yes it's a double edged sword. Horford is great, and if he stays injury free and puts up his normal numbers, he's arguably a top 20 player in the NBA- which are very hard to come by these days.

I think it's also important to remember that his injuries weren't on his legs- so his legs have had only 50-60 games in the last two years. He just turned 28 but he's had a lot of rest time on his legs over the last two seasons.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:44 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
That may be the easiest question ever posed on this blog site, of course the Celtics would give up Olynyk or Sullinger or Olynyk and Sullinger for Al Horford. No offense to Sullinger but it is a bit insulting to put Al Horford in the same sentence as Sullinger, Sully is nice, Al Horford is a perennial All-Star and a far superior player. This goes further than stats, Al Horford is really a top class player in all aspects of the game including being a great leader.

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That is why Al Horford has tons of rings, oh, I forgot that....

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2014, 08:49:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yes I would. I'd be willing to move both for that matter.

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
No. For the time being Sully and KO are way cheaper and that's good for us. Horford would probably be good enough to get us to Hawks Land....a permanent seat at the 5 thru 7 seed. Not what I want. Horford gets hurt too much.

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:52 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

This.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2014, 10:51:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

This.

Ditto.  (Clearly, all mods think alike.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes