Poll

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?

Yes, I'd give up ONE of them- whichever player Atlanta wanted.
28 (45.2%)
No, I'd rather keep our young guys and wait to see what happens with Rondo first.
12 (19.4%)
I'd only give up Sullinger- we can keep Olynyk as a stretch PF for the future
5 (8.1%)
I'd only give up Olynyk- we can keep Sullinger as our rebounding PF for the future
17 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?  (Read 12895 times)

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?
« on: October 18, 2014, 06:27:29 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Thinking about this Will Bynum trade, made me wonder if Danny would make this move as a prelude to something bigger. There were the rumors of the Hawks shopping Horford in an attempt to get younger and rebuild. Danny Ferry, like most NBA GMs- loves picks and young assets- I'm assuming his current replacement does too.

Would Danny try and swing something like:

Bass+Bynum+Zeller+Clippers pick+Cavs pick
for
Al Horford+John Salmons.

The reality is that the Hawks likely ask for one of our young binkies....being Olynyk or Sullinger.

It would hurt to see one of them go, but if I had to, I'd probably give up Olynyk+Bass+Bynum+Clippers pick
for
Horford+Salmons.

He's had pectoral injury issues (apparently from over lifting in the weight room), but he's locked in at $12 million per season for the next two seasons.

When healthy, he's a top 20 NBA player.

Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger if it meant Al Horford was a Celtic for two seasons?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Would you give up Olynyk or Sullinger for Al Horford?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 08:02:08 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
i'd do either. hell, i'd consider both. I just think sully and horford together wouldn't work, Kelly with horford would work a lot better.

so if they wanted Kelly, i'd immediately be looking to trade sully.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
i'd do either. hell, i'd consider both. I just think sully and horford together wouldn't work, Kelly with horford would work a lot better.

interesting, but what makes you think sully and horford would not work together. sully seems to be a pf forced into playing center. he seems to have a good enough shot to play away from the basket, opening it up more for horford. but please correct me if i am wrong.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:44:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With no hesitation I would give up one of them and a 1-2 firsts for Horford but I doubt thats what ATl is looking for. The talks of them shopping Horford where likely true, but only because so many teams where interested in top picks in this past draft. I dont belive that they are just putting him out their for non star potential talent.

If the Cs did by some miracle land Horford then priority 1,2 and 3 should be getting a center so that he can play his natural PF.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

interesting, but what makes you think sully and horford would not work together. sully seems to be a pf forced into playing center. he seems to have a good enough shot to play away from the basket, opening it up more for horford. but please correct me if i am wrong.

I just see Kelly as never being a guy that can consistently be successful down low as back to basket guy, he's way more of a perimeter guy imo. making him a better fit with horford.

where as I think Sully is a better player 18' and under, where we're forcing him to be a perimeter guy that he isn't.

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
A thought I had because of this topic.

Theoretic Situation:

The Cs play ok this season. Rondo isnt his old self but is a top 10 guard. AB, Sully, and KO all take small steps of improvement over last season. Green, Bass, and Thorton play on pare with their careers. Turner impreses in a 6th man role possible leading to Green being traded. Smart leaves alot to be desired on O (7 pt game) but thrives on D. Zeller proves to be a backup and nothing more. With all that the Cs end up with 6th pick again.

If ATL calls and offers Horford for Sully (coming off of 15pt 9rb season), Wallace (now expiring) and 2015 #6 what do Cs do?

What if that trade means Rondo stays for just under max?

What if that trade and Rondo's return brings in M Gasol?

Its a lot of what ifs but thats one of the few situations where I see a Rondo lead Cs thrust back into contention.

Possible 2015-16 Cs?
Rondo
AB
Turner
Horford
Gasol
KO
Smart
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
When was the last season Horford didn't have a major injury? I'm betting he has another one this season, he's cursed.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Horford is always hurt. Too fragile for me. I say save the assets.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:32:44 AM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
If you could do a swap for only KO or Sully for Horford under the current rules I'd say yes. But since we'd have to include salary, picks etc I say no. I want the picks and young guys. We know Horford is very solid when healthy, but injury prone and undersized as a center. Let's hold off.

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Extremely tricky and whatever move is done needs to include Wallace's contract, which I doubt Atlanta would want.

Horford is too much of an injury risk for me and on a short term contract which makes me hesitate giving some of our best future assets for.

I'm happy staying on course with Sully's development, I'd trade Olynyk no problem, I think it's worth that kind of gamble, but KO's 3-point shooting looks quite lethal so far this year and am really curious how Sully + Olynyk will continue to improve throughout the season together. But at this moment in time, Olynyk is the only one I'd be comfortable with letting go to get Horford.

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
As mentioned in another debate I would love to get Al Horford, and I'm willing to pay for him.

I consider Horford a center and not a PF, especially if we are going to play fast ball, and I believe we should. That is also why I believe we should do whatever we can to stay with Olynyk, at he runs the floor better than Sully. but honestly I don't want either of them to leave, as I like them a lot.

If we by any means can bring in Horford without giving them or Zeller up then I would be extremely pleased. I think a deal around Green, Bass and a few picks would be a great deal. Maybe we should bring in the Pacers as a 3rd partner, as they could really use Green.

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Yeah

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think I would go for something like this

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=px2v6l5

And then we should send a 1st round pick and a second round pick, and at the same time Pacers should send at least the same to Atlanta. It all depends on how Atlanta wanna play, but I think it would be a pretty fair deal for all.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Absolutely not. No way would I trade either of them for Al Horford.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd look at it another way.  I don't want to trade for a big man unless he is good enough that I would have no problems trading Sullinger plus a top-five protected first round pick for him and would be willing to bid higher if necessary.  Is Horford good enough to pass that test?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference