Author Topic: The current market for Brandon Bass  (Read 13927 times)

Re: The current market for Brandon Bass
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Zach Lowe reported that and if you're willing to accept his report about Jeff Green, you kinda have to buy what he said about Boston looking to trade Bass.  Can't really pick and choose which of his reports to believe depending on how they fit your argument.

« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2014, 11:05:06 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Zach Lowe reported that and if you're willing to accept his report about Jeff Green, you kinda have to buy what he said about Boston looking to trade Bass.  Can't really pick and choose which of his reports to believe depending on how they fit your argument.

Sure I can:-)))

Smitty77

P.S.  Why don't we just wait and see WHAT we get for Bass.  I will gladly eat my words.  That being said, I will EXPECT each and every one of you to tip your hats to me IF I am correct:-))

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I mean, he got two likely early second round picks for Jordan Crawford!!!

Those picks were more for taking on the contract of Joel Anthony than for giving someone Jordan Crawford.

Oh yes LC, all three second rounders were more for taking on Joel Anthony:-))))))))) 

The driving motive behind that trade was Miami's desire to salary dump Joel Anthony so they could save $10m.  They found someone with space under the luxury tax to absorb Joel Anthony.  Crawford, Brooks, and Toney Douglas were less meaningful than the financial aspects of the trade.  Money can matters more than talent on the court.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2014, 12:56:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Those picks were more for taking on the contract of Joel Anthony than for giving someone Jordan Crawford.

Oh yes LC, all three second rounders were more for taking on Joel Anthony:-))))))))) 

The driving motive behind that trade was Miami's desire to salary dump Joel Anthony so they could save $10m.  They found someone with space under the luxury tax to absorb Joel Anthony.  Crawford, Brooks, and Toney Douglas were less meaningful than the financial aspects of the trade.  Money can matters more than talent on the court.

Sure Loose Cannon.  Danny showcasing Jordan Crawfish and him earning Player of the FREAKING Week had absolutely NOTHING to do with this trade.  Are you saying that Danny trading Crawford and Anthony for what we got were NOT steals????????????

Smitty77

« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2014, 02:00:57 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
If you analyze the specific details of the trade, it's really apparent that it was primarily just a salary dumping move by Miami.  Crawford and Brooks went to Golden State for the low, low price of Toney Douglas... who they sent to Miami, not Boston.  Essentially, Golden State took Crawford from Boston for free and got Miami to foot the bill.  Miami was willing to foot the bill because it benefitted them financially.

Of course Golden State viewed Crawford as an upgrade over Douglas, but it's really clear that Boston got those draft picks purely because they were taking on Anthony's contract.  Golden State didn't send a thing to Boston for Crawford, so yes, those three draft picks clearly were compensation for Anthony's contract.

« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2014, 02:04:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Sure Loose Cannon.  Danny showcasing Jordan Crawfish and him earning Player of the FREAKING Week had absolutely NOTHING to do with this trade.  Are you saying that Danny trading Crawford and Anthony for what we got were NOT steals????????????

The deal wasn't made because Golden State wanted Crawford.  The deal was made because Miami wanted to dump salary and Golden State had a trade exception that could be used.  Boston got in on the deal because the Warriors didn't really want to have Joel Anthony's contract either and because they had a guard who wasn't Toney Douglas.  Crawford being Player of the Week wasn't that big of a deal.  I think the trade would have been made anyways.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The deal wasn't made because Golden State wanted Crawford.  The deal was made because Miami wanted to dump salary and Golden State had a trade exception that could be used.  Boston got in on the deal because the Warriors didn't really want to have Joel Anthony's contract either and because they had a guard who wasn't Toney Douglas.  Crawford being Player of the Week wasn't that big of a deal.  I think the trade would have been made anyways.

Yeah, I mean I know people were jumping for joy when we acquired the picks for Crawford/Brooks, but three second rounders for taking on a two year [dead] contract for almost eight million dollars really isn't that impressive.

I actually thought we were going to be able to get a late first out of Crawford without taking on any additional salary for this year - I guess I was wrong. And weren't the Wolves almost willing to give up a first for Brooks from BKN the year before?

I totally agree, this deal had nothing to do with the talents of Crawford (who actually was playing quite well) and Brooks. The 2nd year on Anthony's contract and only receiving 2nd round picks in return really punctuates this.

« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Well, Brooklyn was looking for a first rounder for Brooks, but Minnesota wasn't looking to send one.  They were more than willing to part with Ridnour or Barea for Brooks, though.

« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Yeah, I mean I know people were jumping for joy when we acquired the picks for Crawford/Brooks, but three second rounders for taking on a two year [dead] contract for almost eight million dollars really isn't that impressive.

I actually thought we were going to be able to get a late first out of Crawford without taking on any additional salary for this year - I guess I was wrong. And weren't the Wolves almost willing to give up a first for Brooks from BKN the year before?

I totally agree, this deal had nothing to do with the talents of Crawford (who actually was playing quite well) and Brooks. The 2nd year on Anthony's contract and only receiving 2nd round picks in return really punctuates this.

Since the Philly picks are a lock to be #31 this coming draft, and then 31-35 in 2016, I'd argue that 3 2nds for taking on a little extra salary this year is better than 1 late 1st and no salary this year.