Author Topic: The current market for Brandon Bass  (Read 13908 times)

Re: The current market for Brandon Bass
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
The Thunder like to save money first and foremost so guys on rookie deals are a huge deal to them. I don't see them giving them up so easily unless they are closer to the end of their deal than the start. Remember, they gave McGary a promise, meaning they targeted him and like him a lot. It wasn't a situation where somebody fell to them and they were like, well I guess we should take this dude (a la Danny Ainge taking Gerald Green).

That being said they do need to do something before 2016 to convince Durant they're serious and Perkins' expiring is just sitting right there. I think they'll wait until Durant comes back from injury and see what they have, then target somebody at the deadline.

I think that preferably they would get someone on a two-year deal who is better than whomever they could sign for the mid-level. They are not going to get somebody whose contract is up this offseason because they won't commit to someone past Durant's deal in 2016. That would give the most flexibility and guarantee they don't lose someone after a few months. They probably don't have the assets but someone like Horford (expires 2016) would be perfect.

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 03:41:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brandon bass looks like is worth the same as joel anthony.

He will get 1-2 million dollar deal somewhere next year and go overseas or retire

Bass was #139 in the NBA in player efficiency rating out of 337 NBA players last year!!!!!!!!!

Anthony was not even listed, probably due to NOT even playing enough minutes, but IF he were on the list, he would have been 322 out of 338!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/page/7/year/2014

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

To even make a statement comparing Bass to Joel Anthony astonishes me Triboy!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

I never talked about Bass vs Anthony as players. I was stating the value you can get back for either right now are pretty close. What late 2nd pick at best?

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I think Bass is worth keeping since I believe you'd never get close to his market value in a trade.  It's unfortunate because the guy can play the game.  He's no KG, etc.  He's just solid. Defense, all around really.

I would like to see him work on a quicker release for his jump shot.  I think he'd be extremely deadly if he could just get the shot up quicker.  Forget working on the corner 3, etc.  I want him right where he's been.  15-18 ft out.  I just want him to be able to catch and shoot it more often, as sometimes he takes too long allowing the defender to close out on him.

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Brandon bass looks like is worth the same as joel anthony.

He will get 1-2 million dollar deal somewhere next year and go overseas or retire

Bass was #139 in the NBA in player efficiency rating out of 337 NBA players last year!!!!!!!!!

Anthony was not even listed, probably due to NOT even playing enough minutes, but IF he were on the list, he would have been 322 out of 338!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/page/7/year/2014

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

To even make a statement comparing Bass to Joel Anthony astonishes me Triboy!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

I never talked about Bass vs Anthony as players. I was stating the value you can get back for either right now are pretty close. What late 2nd pick at best?

OK.  My bad.  I think the ONLY reason we might get close to the same for Bass is that Danny literally pulled off a freaking MIRACLE by getting a 14.40 PER player in Bynum for the piece of utter crap called Joel Anthony!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.

I am talking about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav.  Bass is a MUCH better player than Perk is now and Fav helps fill the big man void that this trade would leave.  I MIGHT consider throwing in a second rounder.  Also, Mitch is proving to perhaps be quite injury prone as he had a back injury that kept him out about all of his senior year and he NOW has a fractured foot!!!  Perhaps we won't have to include a second rounder as I thought!!  I still like the idea of re-visiting a return of Green for Perk to help us get McGary.  Notice that I am NOT talking about picking up Adams, who is CLEARLY their starting center IF they go with a traditional center.  However, I read on one of the OKC blog sites that they might move Ibaka to Center and Durant (when he comes back) to PF.  IF they do that, then Green could start at SF.

My point is, you are making a trade proposal based on the Thunder not placing a high value on McGary but instead treating him as almost a throw-in.

Perkins/McGary/2nd for Bass/Young would be much closer to how each team values its assets, so if you went with Perkins/McGary for Bass/Fav/stuff, that stuff would have to be more significant than a 2nd round pick.  It's a horrific misunderstanding of value to think that it could be borderline between the Celtics maybe or maybe not including a second rounder.

LC,

I think the terrific misunderstanding is your assumption that I view Perkins as a big positive for us!!  I do NOT!!!!!  We are clearly getting a washed up player in Perk.  I am doing this trade to GET McGary.  I am taking back a player OKC would NOT mind giving away to GET McGary!!!  Bass is a VERY serviceable rotation guy for OKC!!!!  Bass had OVER twice as high an efficiency rating as Perk!!!  Those two are really not close, especially to OKC with Adams looking ready for prime time!!

I think you're misunderstanding me.  I know you want to get McGary.  I'm telling you that OKC probably wants to keep McGary as much as you want him, so you have to offer the sort of value alongside Bass that would make you be willing to give up McGary if he were already a Celtic.  The difference between Perkins and Bass is sort of irrelevant in this deal.  If you would be willing to trade McGary for a lottery-protected first round pick, then OKC would probably want Bass plus Fav plus a lottery-protected first round pick for Perkins and McGary.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2014, 07:16:51 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.

I am talking about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav.  Bass is a MUCH better player than Perk is now and Fav helps fill the big man void that this trade would leave.  I MIGHT consider throwing in a second rounder.  Also, Mitch is proving to perhaps be quite injury prone as he had a back injury that kept him out about all of his senior year and he NOW has a fractured foot!!!  Perhaps we won't have to include a second rounder as I thought!!  I still like the idea of re-visiting a return of Green for Perk to help us get McGary.  Notice that I am NOT talking about picking up Adams, who is CLEARLY their starting center IF they go with a traditional center.  However, I read on one of the OKC blog sites that they might move Ibaka to Center and Durant (when he comes back) to PF.  IF they do that, then Green could start at SF.

My point is, you are making a trade proposal based on the Thunder not placing a high value on McGary but instead treating him as almost a throw-in.

Perkins/McGary/2nd for Bass/Young would be much closer to how each team values its assets, so if you went with Perkins/McGary for Bass/Fav/stuff, that stuff would have to be more significant than a 2nd round pick.  It's a horrific misunderstanding of value to think that it could be borderline between the Celtics maybe or maybe not including a second rounder.

LC,

I think the terrific misunderstanding is your assumption that I view Perkins as a big positive for us!!  I do NOT!!!!!  We are clearly getting a washed up player in Perk.  I am doing this trade to GET McGary.  I am taking back a player OKC would NOT mind giving away to GET McGary!!!  Bass is a VERY serviceable rotation guy for OKC!!!!  Bass had OVER twice as high an efficiency rating as Perk!!!  Those two are really not close, especially to OKC with Adams looking ready for prime time!!

I think you're misunderstanding me.  I know you want to get McGary.  I'm telling you that OKC probably wants to keep McGary as much as you want him, so you have to offer the sort of value alongside Bass that would make you be willing to give up McGary if he were already a Celtic.  The difference between Perkins and Bass is sort of irrelevant in this deal.  If you would be willing to trade McGary for a lottery-protected first round pick, then OKC would probably want Bass plus Fav plus a lottery-protected first round pick for Perkins and McGary.

I really am not misunderstanding you.  I just totally disagree with you about McGary's worth to the Thunder at this point.  He had ONE decent preseason game and he is hurt AGAIN.  That is two fairly significant injuries in a year.  He also got caught smoking pot, right??  OKC wants to win now as Durant can leave after this year.  They want to win NOW to encourage him to not even consider leaving OKC.  Bass helps them do that NOW far more than a pot-smoking, injury-prone, unproven McGary.

Smitty77

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2014, 07:42:26 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm not sure why you're bringing up the fact that McGary got in trouble for smoking pot as though OKC didn't know that before they drafted him.  That's not particularly relevant as to whether OKC would be willing to trade him.  If they were concerned about the weed, they wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
2 1/2 ham sandwich s

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 08:11:57 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

LC,

I really am not misunderstanding you.  I just totally disagree with you about McGary's worth to the Thunder at this point.  He had ONE decent preseason game and he is hurt AGAIN.  That is two fairly significant injuries in a year.  He also got caught smoking pot, right??  OKC wants to win now as Durant can leave after this year.  They want to win NOW to encourage him to not even consider leaving OKC.  Bass helps them do that NOW far more than a pot-smoking, injury-prone, unproven McGary.

If McGary's value is as down as you say, then you're an idiot for wanting him so badly.  Are you an idiot?

The Thunder are rumored to have made a draft promise to McGary, despite him playing only 8 games due to a back injury and getting dinged for marijuana.  They really, really like him and his current injury is not going to make them fall out of love with him.  He's a guy they want to keep around in case Durant leaves.  They are not going to trade him for a rental of a borderline starting-caliber player.  If they trade McGary, they are going to want someone much more significant.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Only trade value Bass has is as an expiring contract.  He's a mid-season buyout candidate.  Some contending team can use him off the bench.

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Only trade value Bass has is as an expiring contract.  He's a mid-season buyout candidate.  Some contending team can use him off the bench.

IDK about that, I think we could probably get a 2nd Rd pick, maybe two, for Bass.

The question would be, what type of contract would we have to take back to match salaries? If it is anything other than a similarly matching, expiring contract, I'd pass.

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 09:26:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I'm not sure why you're bringing up the fact that McGary got in trouble for smoking pot as though OKC didn't know that before they drafted him.  That's not particularly relevant as to whether OKC would be willing to trade him.  If they were concerned about the weed, they wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

Yes EP, I am an idiot.  I have been teaching at the college level for almost 25 years, headed our state organization for 5 years, and have been on our regional board for over a decade.  Yes, I am an IDIOT.  My main point of contention with most of your opinions on Bass are that you guys are underestimating GM's opinions of Bass.  He is a true professional who is solid on offense and defense.  I bet you guys were saying the very same things about Jeff Green before the Grantland authors let us know that Green has a stellar reputation throughout the NBA with GM's.  I realize that we often overestimate the worth of OUR players, but I truly think that many are underestimating what many GM's think about Brandon Bass!!  But what do I know.  As EP insinuated, I am just an IDIOT.  Perhaps one day I will have the IQ of Endless Paradise:-))))))))

Smitty77

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Ainge couldn't get much for Bass in the past because Bass had multiple years left on his deal which made him hard to trade. Not many teams were interested in giving up a good trade package + paying Bass a high salary at $6-7 million a year + being stuck with multiple years left on his deal.

Now that Bass is in the final year of his deal, he is much easier to move. Ainge has a fair shot (not a sure thing, but fair chance at it) at getting a 1st round pick (or a decent prospect instead of a pick) and cap filler from some playoff team that wants to boost their bench heading into the playoffs this year. If Ainge was willing to take back contracts with another year on them, I fully believe Ainge could get a 1st round pick for a productive veteran like Bass -- but Ainge would have to value the pick over the cap space next summer. Depends on where his priorities are. 

Once Bass' contract ends .... Bass is a skilled PF who has a strong jump-shot, plays plus defense and has considerable playoff experience. Bass is one of the best backup PFs in the league. He will be a highly sought after player. Under the old CBA, I'd have expected Bass to generate multiple offers of around $5 million per annum ... so maybe $6-7 million under new CBA. He will have a large number of suitors -- mostly playoff teams, at least 4-5 teams if not as many as 7-8 teams -- who will want him. His skill-set and experience is highly desirable in a bench player. Who knows, maybe Bass gets lucky and some team even offers him a starting gig and $8-9 million a year. But large majority will view him as a backup PF and price him lower than that.

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 10:14:24 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Please stop with the Steven Adams for scrubs trades. He is a Center. He is huge. He is athletic. He can block, steal, rebound and score around the rim. These all make very valuable, especially for a Team that had only one weak link which was a broken down Perk for center.

You make it sound like he's some all star. I have no idea where the love for Adams is coming from lately. He's a good center but that is just because the bar for a starting center is so low these days. Big and not a turnover machine will basically get you a roster spot in today's NBA.

I don't know OKC trades Adams for anyone on the C's roster now... Not KO, no Sully and def not Bass..

Yeah I'm not sure you know what you're talking about. Certainly they would trade Adams for Rondo. That is just an asset exchange no sane GM turns down. I'd argue they'd also take Smart in a second over Adams. In fairness those might be our two best player-assets. Sully and KO are in the same ball park with Adams and I don't see the huge gap that other people seem to. Statistically our guys have out played Adams and it isn't even close.The only edge Adams could claim would be in blocks but that should be obvious. Adams has no outside game whatsoever and can't shoot free throws. Only a few guys in the league get away with that. Now I know that Adams might become something great, most NBA players have that potential. As it stands our guys are playing better basketball.

Only possible trade would be if Rondo came back strong and they wanted to move RW to the 2, but even that is a stretch.....

The bigger point here is that you think that Rondo for Adams might be lopsided in our favor. I guess we're just living in different worlds.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 10:23:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

IDK about that, I think we could probably get a 2nd Rd pick, maybe two, for Bass.

The question would be, what type of contract would we have to take back to match salaries? If it is anything other than a similarly matching, expiring contract, I'd pass.
I agree. Bass does have more value than a buy out. Buy out for his play would be foolish.  He is good production vet.