Author Topic: The current market for Brandon Bass  (Read 13928 times)

Re: The current market for Brandon Bass
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:42 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
You realize the injury prone label you're throwing on McGary applies to Faverani, too, right?

I do EP.  You realize that Fav has proven he can contribute in regular season NBA games and McGary has NOT?:-))))))

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 11:48:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
How about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav?  We likely have to include a future second rounder or two.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6514345

Thoughts?

I do not want Perk on this team in any capacity as a player.   He is cooked done.   Sentimental nonsense is the only reason you'd want him on the team, certainly not basketball reasons.

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You realize the injury prone label you're throwing on McGary applies to Faverani, too, right?

I do EP.  You realize that Fav has proven he can contribute in regular season NBA games and McGary has NOT?:-))))))

Smitty77

If by "contribute," you simply mean "be available to play in," then sure -- though I'd question that since he played in 37 of 82 games in his only NBA season so far.  Because if you mean anything beyond that (such as actually contribute on a meaningful level), then I'm going to point out that he's a center who fell out of the rotation for a horrible Celtics team in desperate need of a center that finished 25-57.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brandon bass looks like is worth the same as joel anthony.

He will get 1-2 million dollar deal somewhere next year and go overseas or retire

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

He will get 1-2 million dollar deal somewhere next year and go overseas or retire

I don't think Bass has any trade value, but he's good enough to be a rotation player on almost every team in the league.

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Disagree with this.  I think Bass looks useless lately because he's a second string vet on a rebuilding team.  Put Bass on a contender and he'll quickly remind people of his value.  Remember people raving about his defense on Carmelo?  He can still do that.  Bass would be a great addition to Ok. City and a bunch of other contenders.  But he is second string, that's true, and contenders don't like giving up the few young potential guys that they do manage to get their hands on..

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Bass was #139 in the NBA in player efficiency rating out of 337 NBA players last year!!!!!!!!!

Anthony was not even listed, probably due to NOT even playing enough minutes, but IF he were on the list, he would have been 322 out of 338!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/page/7/year/2014

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

To even make a statement comparing Bass to Joel Anthony astonishes me Triboy!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Bass is definitely a rotation player but with first rounders worth so much these days, I don't see any teams willing to pay such a high price for him. That means a 2nd rounder is more likely.

Jeff Green is a guy who could probably fetch a mid-late first rounder. His contract status is a question mark though, because if he opts out he might just be a rental.

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 02:12:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.

I am talking about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav.  Bass is a MUCH better player than Perk is now and Fav helps fill the big man void that this trade would leave.  I MIGHT consider throwing in a second rounder.  Also, Mitch is proving to perhaps be quite injury prone as he had a back injury that kept him out about all of his senior year and he NOW has a fractured foot!!!  Perhaps we won't have to include a second rounder as I thought!!  I still like the idea of re-visiting a return of Green for Perk to help us get McGary.  Notice that I am NOT talking about picking up Adams, who is CLEARLY their starting center IF they go with a traditional center.  However, I read on one of the OKC blog sites that they might move Ibaka to Center and Durant (when he comes back) to PF.  IF they do that, then Green could start at SF.

My point is, you are making a trade proposal based on the Thunder not placing a high value on McGary but instead treating him as almost a throw-in.

Perkins/McGary/2nd for Bass/Young would be much closer to how each team values its assets, so if you went with Perkins/McGary for Bass/Fav/stuff, that stuff would have to be more significant than a 2nd round pick.  It's a horrific misunderstanding of value to think that it could be borderline between the Celtics maybe or maybe not including a second rounder.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Bass is definitely a rotation player but with first rounders worth so much these days, I don't see any teams willing to pay such a high price for him. That means a 2nd rounder is more likely.

Jeff Green is a guy who could probably fetch a mid-late first rounder. His contract status is a question mark though, because if he opts out he might just be a rental.

The Market is tough. Look at Evan Turner last year. He got the 76ers a late 2nd round pick

Afflalo only got the Magic Evan Fournier and 56th pick

Jeff Green hopefully can get us at worse a mid-early 20s 1st round pick.

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2014, 02:28:17 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.

I am talking about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav.  Bass is a MUCH better player than Perk is now and Fav helps fill the big man void that this trade would leave.  I MIGHT consider throwing in a second rounder.  Also, Mitch is proving to perhaps be quite injury prone as he had a back injury that kept him out about all of his senior year and he NOW has a fractured foot!!!  Perhaps we won't have to include a second rounder as I thought!!  I still like the idea of re-visiting a return of Green for Perk to help us get McGary.  Notice that I am NOT talking about picking up Adams, who is CLEARLY their starting center IF they go with a traditional center.  However, I read on one of the OKC blog sites that they might move Ibaka to Center and Durant (when he comes back) to PF.  IF they do that, then Green could start at SF.

My point is, you are making a trade proposal based on the Thunder not placing a high value on McGary but instead treating him as almost a throw-in.

Perkins/McGary/2nd for Bass/Young would be much closer to how each team values its assets, so if you went with Perkins/McGary for Bass/Fav/stuff, that stuff would have to be more significant than a 2nd round pick.  It's a horrific misunderstanding of value to think that it could be borderline between the Celtics maybe or maybe not including a second rounder.

That, plus the whole premise of the Celtics "maybe or maybe not" throwing in a second rounder is based upon McGary's injury woes... when Faverani has been dealing with his own injury woes since March.  But that's seemingly not relevant for the Thunder or Celtics to consider.

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2014, 02:56:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Bass market has been known for a while now. Trade exemption or the combination of a expiring + 2nd. Only way that changes is if C's play him more to boost his value.

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2014, 03:18:32 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

LC,

I think the terrific misunderstanding is your assumption that I view Perkins as a big positive for us!!  I do NOT!!!!!  We are clearly getting a washed up player in Perk.  I am doing this trade to GET McGary.  I am taking back a player OKC would NOT mind giving away to GET McGary!!!  Bass is a VERY serviceable rotation guy for OKC!!!!  Bass had OVER twice as high an efficiency rating as Perk!!!  Those two are really not close, especially to OKC with Adams looking ready for prime time!!

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Disagree with this.  I think Bass looks useless lately because he's a second string vet on a rebuilding team.  Put Bass on a contender and he'll quickly remind people of his value.  Remember people raving about his defense on Carmelo?  He can still do that.  Bass would be a great addition to Ok. City and a bunch of other contenders.  But he is second string, that's true, and contenders don't like giving up the few young potential guys that they do manage to get their hands on..

then why didn't one contending team trade for him last season? or the season before?

If we waived him, i bet someone will pick him up. But BB is not even worth to give up a 2nd round pick it looks like

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Bass was #139 in the NBA in player efficiency rating out of 337 NBA players last year!!!!!!!!!

Anthony was not even listed, probably due to NOT even playing enough minutes, but IF he were on the list, he would have been 322 out of 338!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/page/7/year/2014

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

To even make a statement comparing Bass to Joel Anthony astonishes me Triboy!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77
Smitty77, you must be the greatest fan of Bass in the universe.
I made this meme for you, it might come in handy in future conversations.