Author Topic: The current market for Brandon Bass  (Read 13913 times)

The current market for Brandon Bass
« on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
First off.. i gotta say, i loved what Bass did for us. Extremely reliable jumpshot for a bigman and above average defense against other 4s. The guy just did his job. That being said, he's entering his contract year on a team full of young players that probably have less than a 50% chance of making the playoffs in the East. So for the sake of our future and his career, i do believe that its best that we part ways via trade.

Brandon's only market is being a consistent post scorer off the bench for a competitive team, so my question is... Who's the best customer for Brandon and what would you want in return?

i'll go first..
OKC Thunder... Steven Adams or Mitch McGary. They need post scoring in their rotation and as good defensively as both of those young guys are, they're useless on offense.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: The current market for Brandon Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If they are useless to a contending team like OKC, why would Boston want them?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

because we're rebuilding around young players and our current 5-spot has no defense.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

because we're rebuilding around young players and our current 5-spot has no defense.

Ah, so these useless players will become players to build around given enough time?

Both are under cheap contracts with OKC through 2016-17, McGary for a year beyond that. Wouldn't OKC rather hang onto both of them, see how they develop, and devote other resources towards complementing Durant/Westbrook than trade either for a guy on an expiring contract?

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 10:56:16 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum

Ah, so these useless players will become players to build around given enough time?

Both are under cheap contracts with OKC through 2016-17, McGary for a year beyond that. Wouldn't OKC rather hang onto both of them, see how they develop, and devote other resources towards complementing Durant/Westbrook than trade either for a guy on an expiring contract?

i disagree. The thunder are in their prime right now, and dont have 3 years for mcgary or adams to develop scoring. Don't forget, KD and Russ arent likely to stay if they cant get a ring.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

i disagree. The thunder are in their prime right now, and dont have 3 years for mcgary or adams to develop scoring. Don't forget, KD and Russ arent likely to stay if they cant get a ring.

I guess it goes to your view of them as useless, because they can't score. Setting picks, crashing the glass on both ends, moving the ball, drawing fouls: these are all valid ways of contributing on offense without putting the ball in the hoop.

Moreover, keeping the cheap contracts of Adams and McGary will allow OKC to devote resources towards adding a shooting guard who can stretch the floor instead. I think that position is where OKC should upgrade.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:38 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
You're looking for a team that needs depth at PF and has a player at a position of depth with the same level of youth and upside as Will Bynum, except on a bigger contract.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
OKC needs exactly what Adams can do, just defend and rebound, they don't need offense from their center (we couldn't get him for Bass anyway, IMO). Adams could turn into a better version of Perkins and that's what they should want.

All they need is another guard. I like a lineup of Russ, "someone", KD, Iblocka, and Adams.

I'm not giving up my binky in AB but I would think he would be perfect fit for them. Defend the PG/SG and hit the WIDE OPEN shots. Look how well it worked with PP, KG, and RR. It could even work with Perk out there.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 02:08:51 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
How about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav?  We likely have to include a future second rounder or two.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6514345

Thoughts?

Smitty77

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 02:24:13 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Changing up a little bit:  I still think we should reverse the Green/Perk trade.  I like Perk and McGary for Green and Fav. 

This helps OKC fill the void while Durant is out and gives us some rim protection and saves us about $730,000 this year and Green's 9.2 million next year.  Yes, we will have McGary's $1.46 million for next year, but that is nothing.

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6514347

Thoughts??

Smitty77

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 02:58:23 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 03:41:30 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Please stop with the Steven Adams for scrubs trades. He is a Center. He is huge. He is athletic. He can block, steal, rebound and score around the rim. These all make very valuable, especially for a Team that had only one weak link which was a broken down Perk for center.

I don't know OKC trades Adams for anyone on the C's roster now... Not KO, no Sully and def not Bass..

Only possible trade would be if Rondo came back strong and they wanted to move RW to the 2, but even that is a stretch.....

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If you really, really want McGary, assume the Thunder value him almost as much as you might presume the Celtics value James Young.

I am talking about Perkins and McGary for Bass and Fav.  Bass is a MUCH better player than Perk is now and Fav helps fill the big man void that this trade would leave.  I MIGHT consider throwing in a second rounder.  Also, Mitch is proving to perhaps be quite injury prone as he had a back injury that kept him out about all of his senior year and he NOW has a fractured foot!!!  Perhaps we won't have to include a second rounder as I thought!!  I still like the idea of re-visiting a return of Green for Perk to help us get McGary.  Notice that I am NOT talking about picking up Adams, who is CLEARLY their starting center IF they go with a traditional center.  However, I read on one of the OKC blog sites that they might move Ibaka to Center and Durant (when he comes back) to PF.  IF they do that, then Green could start at SF.

Interesting!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You realize the injury prone label you're throwing on McGary applies to Faverani, too, right?

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
First off.. i gotta say, i loved what Bass did for us. Extremely reliable jumpshot for a bigman and above average defense against other 4s. The guy just did his job. That being said, he's entering his contract year on a team full of young players that probably have less than a 50% chance of making the playoffs in the East. So for the sake of our future and his career, i do believe that its best that we part ways via trade.

Brandon's only market is being a consistent post scorer off the bench for a competitive team, so my question is... Who's the best customer for Brandon and what would you want in return?

i'll go first..
OKC Thunder... Steven Adams or Mitch McGary. They need post scoring in their rotation and as good defensively as both of those young guys are, they're useless on offense.

Danny, is that you? I was wondering why Bass was still on the team...