Author Topic: 7 footer trades using draft picks  (Read 2440 times)

7 footer trades using draft picks
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:54:05 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Just for fun:

Bass/Powell/Picks for Meyers Leonard and Thomas Robinson

Faverani/Young/Pick for Alex Len

Roster: 14

C: 3 Headed Monster: Zeller/Len/Leonard
PF: 3 Headed Monster: Sullinger/Olynyk/Robinson
SF: Green    (Turner)  Wallace
SG: Turner  Bradley  Thornton
PG: Rondo  Smart  Pressey

Without the Len trade:

Roster: 15

C:  Zeller  Leonard  Faverani
PF: 3 Headed Monster: Sullinger/Olynyk/Robinson
SF: Green    (Turner)  Wallace  Young

Without the Blazers trade:

Center: Roster: 14

Center: Olynyk   Zeller  Len 
PF:  Sullinger   Bass  Powell
SF: Green    (Turner)  Wallace

Re: 7 footer trades using draft picks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:38:02 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I doubt Len is going anywhere until Phoenix knows that he's a bust. He got a run of games last season (in the 40s I think) and showed that he fouls a lot, can't shoot and can't defend. I'm not going to take his 8mpg average and say he's a total washout but...it didn't look great.

Now PHX might not run a system that compliments him. He might have needed another year to really mature or learn the speed of the NBA. Whatever you want to say. But my guess is that Phoenix isn't really looking to sell low on him. He was a high draft pick and they will probably keep him at least one, if not two more seasons before writing him off. My guess is he becomes a serviceable backup for a team like Portland. They have historically loved clumsy white centers.

As to the other trade, I really, REALLY, wanted Robinson when Houston was basically giving him away. Now that I've seen Sully out play him in almost every regard I'm less enthralled. No real opinion on Leonard. Haven't watched him play enough to know if he's worth pursuing.

Not going to give up multiple (or even single 1sts) for either him or Robinson with our glut of PFs. Both of those guys seem to play below the rim so it's not a position of need. I would consider giving up a late 1st to take a flier on Len, but that is just a bet on the former 5th overall pick in a garbage draft. I'd trade the 25th pick (2015 LAC) for Len around draft day. I doubt Phoenix would but I'd do it. I wouldn't include Young but they can have Fav if they want and we'll fit Len in to one of our TEs. Otherwise I'm using the late first (or early 2nd) we have next year to grab Frank "The Tank" Kaminsky.

Here is a quick list of centers I'd pursue mid-season:

Horford
Hibbert (buy low?)
Lopez (buy low?)

Otherwise I'm trying to get a top-3 pick to snag Okafor/Towns or if we fare better than expected maybe Willie Cauley-Stein in the late lotto.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 02:06:30 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
The PF/Center that I'm most interested in is definitely Enes Kanter. Above average Athleticism, nice body control and can finish with authority. Former High Draft pick that hasn't found his niche in the league but was thought highly enough at one point to be taken with a top 5 pick. The Kanter/Sullinger trade just seems to make so much sense for both teams it could be possible.

Send Sulley out to Utah where they seem to always develop undersized power forwards who are competitive and have a nose for the ball. Assuming they plan on continuing on with Trey Burke, he and Sulley would instantly benefit from the chemistry that they built up from years of playing AAU ball together.

Or, for that matter, trade Olynyk. Utah was really high on KO before the draft because of his three point shooting and passing skills, both of which contribute to him being a pretty near perfect compliment to Derick Favors who they already have locked up.

Kanter is approaching free agency and if you could lock him into an extension, he could potentially develop into a more physical, poor man's Pau Gasol.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:12:04 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
http://saltcityhoops.com/enes-kanter-video-scouting-report/

Pretty excellent scouting report for anyone who isn't familiar with Kanter's game.

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Here is a quick list of centers I'd pursue mid-season:

Horford
Hibbert (buy low?)
Lopez (buy low?)

I'd certainly be interested in Hibbert if we could get him.  He's an absolutely elite shot blocker, a solid (if not elite) rebounder, and he can also contribute some on offense.

I wouldn't touch Lopez.  He is walking scarily close to the Greg Oden / Andrew Bynum path with his seemingly never-ending injuries.  I went through enough heartbreak with injuries during Boston's "Big 3" run, and I don't want to go through that again. To make matters worse Lopez (at 7'0" tall and with a huge wingspan) rebounds like a small forward and defends like a 35 year old.  He really is a one-dimensional player who can only really help a team with his scoring.

Hortford I love as a player, but the health side is a bit scary for him as well.  He's missed a LOT of games...though he's probably a safer bet then Lopez. 

Another guy I'd look at is one of the Detroit due - either Josh Smith or Greg Monroe.  I suspect one of those guys will be one by the trade deadline, and Boston might be in a good position to snatch one of them on the (relative) cheap. 

Josh Smith is not a centre, but he is extremely mobile/athletic, an above average rebounder, a skilled inside scorer, an excellent rim protector, and one of the best passing bigs in the NBA.  If you stick him in his natural PF spot and ban him from shooting threes he could actually be the perfect complement for someone like Kelly Olynyk.  He is quick enough to switch on to KO's defender (if he gets beat) and he can also protect the paint against penetration - the two areas where KO is weak.  KO on the other hand is an excellent outside shooter and can stretch the floor - the one area where Josh Smith is weak.  They would also make one of the best passing frontcourts in the league.

Josh Smith would also fit in very nicely with the 'run and gun' and 'move the ball' style of play that Stevens is trying to implement thanks to his deadly transition game and his (aforementioned) passing ability. 

If they decide to keep Smith and trade Monroe, that works too.  He's a big with legit centre size 6'11", long wingspan, solid frame) who can score efficiently in the paint, rebounds at an excellent rate, and can step out and hit the midrange jumper - plus defensively he is a definite upgrade over Sully.     

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 06:19:12 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
Just for fun:

Bass/Powell/Picks for Meyers Leonard and Thomas Robinson

I think Leonard is exactly the type of low risk / high reward player we should bring in. I have been on record saying we should get him this summer. He is at the very least a physical beast who could move opposing centers out of the paint. And if he puts it together he could be a double digit rebounder we so desperately need.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We need a serious pair of  impact players to make a run.  A center and a scorer ( go to) guy .

Probably landing one ...will create a situation to bring in the other.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I'd rather draft one, like Towns or Okafor, both who have more talent than Hibbert, Kantor or Lopez.  Of course, it is not a sure thing but I bet we have a better chance than said proposed trades.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:32:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Portland could be an interesting trade partner for sure.  They picked up Chris Kayman and have Lopez but are thin at PF and PG.

How about:

Bass, Powell, Pressey, Pick

for

Leonard and Robinson

Bass could give them some valuable minutes behind Aldridge and plays the same kind of mid-range game.  Powell and Pressey are just end of the bench depth and the pick is something we have plenty of.  I don't think this changes the team all that much but we would have better positional balance with this (and Bynum gets a little bit more of a chance to fit in).  Portland's willingness to do this would depend largely on what they see in the future for Robinson and Leonard.  Neither has shown to be all that promising so far but both are young, long and athletic.

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 11:54:12 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
The PF/Center that I'm most interested in is definitely Enes Kanter. Above average Athleticism, nice body control and can finish with authority. Former High Draft pick that hasn't found his niche in the league but was thought highly enough at one point to be taken with a top 5 pick.

We actually have an Enes Kanter on our roster already. You suggested trading him for Kanter. Olynyk is a significantly better passer and shooter while Kanter is a slightly better rebounder/defender. I wouldn't make the trade, especially because I think Kanter won't improve all that much in the future. His ceiling is probably Pekovic (who is probably available).

I wouldn't touch Lopez.  He is walking scarily close to the Greg Oden / Andrew Bynum path with his seemingly never-ending injuries.  I went through enough heartbreak with injuries during Boston's "Big 3" run, and I don't want to go through that again. To make matters worse Lopez (at 7'0" tall and with a huge wingspan) rebounds like a small forward and defends like a 35 year old.  He really is a one-dimensional player who can only really help a team with his scoring.

This is reasonable but Lopez only has 2 more years on his deal and we might be able to get him for expirings and a late 1st, depending on if Brooklyn does a tear down (been hearing Deron to LAL for a while now). I know he's not a defensive anchor but he's a solid center in a league lacking them. I'd take Lopez, and expirings + late 1st is a flier as far as I'm concerned.

Hortford I love as a player, but the health side is a bit scary for him as well.  He's missed a LOT of games...though he's probably a safer bet then Lopez. 

He's only played 7 less games than Rondo over the last 3 seasons. I wouldn't see Horford as a huge injury risk. He has torn his right pectoral twice now which is a little worrisome but I'll take that over foot/knee stuff with big guys. I read that he tore that muscle lifting weights so I'm not sure it's an injury that would repeat itself, given revised training regimens.

Another guy I'd look at is one of the Detroit due - either Josh Smith or Greg Monroe.  I suspect one of those guys will be one by the trade deadline, and Boston might be in a good position to snatch one of them on the (relative) cheap. 

We probably shouldn't trade for Monroe unless we plan to offer him the max. He will be looking for that in FA next summer. Smith is signed to a deal for the next 3 season but his deal is way out-sized for his production and he's, for lack of a better term, dumb. That dude probably cost his team the playoffs last season with his shot selection and insistence on shooting 3s (which he converted at the historically awful rate of 26.4% [265 attempts or 3.4 per game]). Detroit can have all of their big men. I'd trade a few picks for Drummond but they aren't letting him go.

My guess is we'll land a center in the draft. This will be a tough season for the C's but regardless of what happens with Rondo, my guess is we'll see our center of the future as our #1 pick in the draft next summer.

If it were up to me I'd make a serious run at Horford/Korver. Just hoping the Hawks go full rebuild and the cards fall our way. I'd give them Sully or KO, 3 picks (2015 LAC, 2016 CLE, 2015 BOS) and expirings for that duo. Bass/Thornton and either of KO/Sully works financially.

I'm also just as happy to wait our the Towns/Okafor sweepstakes. Call me crazy but either of those guys seems like a fair trade for another busted season...especially with the Lakers in the tank too.