Author Topic: Gasol or Jordan?  (Read 4176 times)

Gasol or Jordan?
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
If you had to pick, which free agent center would you throw big money at next summer, Marc Gasol or Deandre Jordan?  Obviously, this kind of supposes that we don't land high enough in the draft to pick someone like Towns or Okafor.

While I think they are pretty close in their talent levels, they provide different things for us.  Gasol's the overall better player, and he provides a much more even game.  He's a hell of a defensive presence down low, but he can also work offensively down low.  Jordan, on the other hand, doesn't have much of an offensive repertoire, however he's more mobile, athletic, a better rebounder, and a better shot blocker than Gasol. 

While I'd be overjoyed to have either of them, I think I'd prefer Jordan just to see what Rondo could do with him.  Jordan's much more athletic and younger, and I think that suits this team a little better.  Furthermore, he'd be a perfect complement to Sully or Olynyk with their inside/outside games.

Who would you choose?

Re: Gasol or Jordan?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I actually think we could put Okafor or Towns at PF and next to Gasol who operates really well in the high post. Think either could play well next to M. Gasol just like Pau, Ibaka, and Randolph have.

Jordan is obviously more athletic, but he's still a guy that you simply you can play in the 4Q. For our system, Gasol is probably the better fit. So I'll take Gasol, who isn't athletically dependent and will age well and is arguably the best center in the game today.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 06:06:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
If you had to pick, which free agent center would you throw big money at next summer, Marc Gasol or Deandre Jordan?  Obviously, this kind of supposes that we don't land high enough in the draft to pick someone like Towns or Okafor.

While I think they are pretty close in their talent levels, they provide different things for us.  Gasol's the overall better player, and he provides a much more even game.  He's a hell of a defensive presence down low, but he can also work offensively down low.  Jordan, on the other hand, doesn't have much of an offensive repertoire, however he's more mobile, athletic, a better rebounder, and a better shot blocker than Gasol. 

While I'd be overjoyed to have either of them, I think I'd prefer Jordan just to see what Rondo could do with him.  Jordan's much more athletic and younger, and I think that suits this team a little better.  Furthermore, he'd be a perfect complement to Sully or Olynyk with their inside/outside games.

Who would you choose?

I'll have to stop you right there, lol.  The only advantages that Jordan has over Gasol are age and athleticism.  Yes, he's a great athlete, and I would have loved to have had him here during our run as a contender, but there's really no point in going after him when next year's draft is full of big guys, and that is how that deficiency will be addressed, imo. 

In terms of skill, however, it's not even close, because while Jordan is a terrific defender and is still developing offensively lol, he is nothing like Gasol, who has excellent post moves with either hand and is a great passer.  Plus, he makes his free throws ;D, can step out and hit the jumper, and has proven to be an excellent defender and rebounder.  He also brings a definite toughness factor, imo. 

All in all, I wouldn't go after either of them.  Doc loves DJ, so he's not going anywhere, and if Gasol does sign with another team, it'll likely be the Knicks, imo, where he would fit perfectly in the triangle.  Phil Jackson understands this as well, so, combined with Pau's experience of playing in that system and for Phil (as well as with Derek Fisher) for a number of years, who would Marc rather play for - Brad Stevens and Danny Ainge, or a Hall of Fame coach who now presides over the Knicks, where his style of play will be implemented?  Right.  The Knicks can also offer Gasol the ability to play with a go-to guy and superstar in Carmelo Anthony, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him relocate to the big apple next July.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
It all depends on if we have Rondo next year or not. If we have Rondo, I say we go with Gasol...if not then we probably couldn't even get Jordan.

I will never forgive Ainge for taking JR GIDDENS over D'ANDRE JORDAN in the Draft that year though smh....he would've been perfect playing next to Garnett.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We need somebody ....

Bad

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 07:08:38 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
We need somebody ....

Bad
Exactly my thoughts.
This thread is like asking a person in the desert whether they prefer their whiskey on the rocks or neat.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Jordan.

Younger, more athletic and I think, easier to acquire.

He will be looking for something near the max, but if Rondo is still here and the Celts offer the money, this could be an attractive destination for him.

I think Gasol is the better player, but he's a few years older, will have many more suitors and dollar signs thrown at him and his current team is more likely to keep him than Jordan's current team.

The Clippers have a lot of money tied up in Paul, Griffin, Redick, Crawford and they just signed Hawes to a 4 year deal.

Will they have the cash to keep DJ?

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
We need somebody ....

Bad
Exactly my thoughts.
This thread is like asking a person in the desert whether they prefer their whiskey on the rocks or neat.

For what it's worth, I'm not into alcohol, dollface ;) ;D  Sorry, you're reply reminded me of Mad Men lol.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Jordan.

He will be looking for something near the max, but if Rondo is still here and the Celts offer the money, this could be an attractive destination for him.

I think Gasol is the better player, but he's a few years older, will have many more suitors and dollar signs thrown at him and his current team is more likely to keep him than Jordan's current team.

The Clippers have a lot of money tied up in Paul, Griffin, Redick, Crawford and they just signed Hawes to a 4 year deal.

my thoughts exactly. Marc Gasol is hands down the better player but at his age, signing him to max deal, you have to factor in the fact that towards the end of his contract, he will start breaking down. Jordan at least you assume he can last because he is younger

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:46:22 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Jordan.

my thoughts exactly. Marc Gasol is hands down the better player but at his age, signing him to max deal, you have to factor in the fact that towards the end of his contract, he will start breaking down. Jordan at least you assume he can last because he is younger

Exactly. That's the primary reason I'd rather have Jordan.  Though, like I said, I'd be happy with either. Or both! :)

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Jordan.

Exactly. That's the primary reason I'd rather have Jordan.  Though, like I said, I'd be happy with either. Or both! :)

actually base on what I said about youth, give me Drummond any day of the week. I'd give him the max like right now (that's why you don't trust me running your team haha)

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If we're talking 4 year contacts and the money is somewhat equal, I go Gasol no question.  Because of his age there is more of a chance that he breaks down, but he is such a better player than Jordan that it is worth the risk.  Gasol is a top 5 center when healthy, both offensively and defensively.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
Jordan.

actually base on what I said about youth, give me Drummond any day of the week. I'd give him the max like right now (that's why you don't trust me running your team haha)

Dude, that's not crazy at all.  I'd do almost anything to get Drummond to the C's.  Other than Durant, Lebron, or Davis, I'd say he's who I would most want on my team now and in the future.  The kid is a beast.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 02:26:10 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd have to say Jordan.

Today's league is not like it used to be.  You almost always need an athletic big with length out there, but you also need a defensive / rebounding stud.

We need this even moreso, because Boston has neither an especially athletic big nor a great defensive big. DeAndre Jordan gives us both, and he would be a beast paired with either Sully or Olynyk. 

Gasol is a very good player, but he's not especially young, not especially mobile, and he's a little injury prone.  He also has no real upside - he is who he is, and he's not going to get any better.

Jordan is young guy who can develop along with the rest of the team, and with potential to improve beyond who he is right now. 

I wouldn't complain about geting Gasol by any means, but given the choice I'd prefer Jordan.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Man I'd love to have Gasol in green just to watch him play D on a regular basis.  When he's on he can reach prime-era KG and Duncan levels of defensive prowess.  Here's a couple of articles that touch on his incredible defensive ability:

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/15/4108416/marc-gasol-grizzlies-defensive-player-of-the-year

http://grantland.com/features/memphis-grizzlies-center-marc-gasol-most-overlooked-big-man-nba-maybe-best/