Author Topic: Stevens: Chance Rondo Returns For Opening Night  (Read 9341 times)

Re: Stevens: Chance Rondo Returns For Opening Night
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If he's still wearing a hefty mitt,  I'd still put long odds on him being back on opening night.  We're talking less than a week ago. 

I still think there is absolutely no need to rush him back although its great to hear his recovery is coming along and there hasn't been any setbacks.  That's huge.

I say that if the doctors clear him, I want to see him out there.  The sooner he gets back, the better it is for this team's chances of a successful season. 

If he can be out there from game one or very close to it, we have a much better chance of developing the kind of chemistry and cohesion that we'll need to be a competitive team.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
Yeah, what's the best thing about this, we now know for sure he's not missing more than 2-3 games even if he doesn't come back for the season opening.
Tommy Heinsohn:"Worst nightmare in the NBA is Rondo with a jump shot." B-)

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If he's still wearing a hefty mitt,  I'd still put long odds on him being back on opening night.  We're talking less than a week ago. 

I still think there is absolutely no need to rush him back although its great to hear his recovery is coming along and there hasn't been any setbacks.  That's huge.

I say that if the doctors clear him, I want to see him out there.  The sooner he gets back, the better it is for this team's chances of a successful season. 

If he can be out there from game one or very close to it, we have a much better chance of developing the kind of chemistry and cohesion that we'll need to be a competitive team.

Is he gonna get cleared in time for opening night, though?

He injured himself on Sept 26th.  The original recovery was spouted at 6-8 weeks.  Recent history & research seems to illustrate a time frame in line with that.  More closer to the 6 week mark than the 8 week mark, though. 

That would peg him for an early to mid November comeback.  Season opens up on Oct 29th.  I just don't see him being there on opening night and he probably won't get clearance to before then.  That's my hunch. 

Coming back in early to mid November is still going to give him well over 70 games to establish chemistry & cohesion with this team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
Healing will dictate if Rondo plays opener

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4715250/healing-will-dictate-if-rondo-plays-opener

But Stevens stressed again that Rondo has positioned himself to jump right into action when cleared physically.

"Now it’s just a matter of getting clearance, really," said Stevens. "Because everything else, from a skill standpoint, from an understanding standpoint -- he’s been running our offense in 5-on-0, up and down the court, for 10 days now. And he picks it up pretty quickly anyways. And we spent some time watching film, whether it’s of the team when he’s not on the floor, or just simple stuff that he’s been able to do in practice to just try to expedite being ready."

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He injured himself on Sept 26th.  The original recovery was spouted at 6-8 weeks.  Recent history & research seems to illustrate a time frame in line with that.  More closer to the 6 week mark than the 8 week mark, though. 

That would peg him for an early to mid November comeback.  Season opens up on Oct 29th.  I just don't see him being there on opening night and he probably won't get clearance to before then.  That's my hunch. 

Coming back in early to mid November is still going to give him well over 70 games to establish chemistry & cohesion with this team.

I'll take 75, but I'd prefer 82.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Well, yeah sure.  In an ideal setting, who wouldn't?  The problem is we're dealing with the reality of a guy coming back from a hand injury with a timetable that doesn't necessarily allow him or even fit the ability to play 82 games.

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It'd be pretty surprising if Rondo played opening night.  Just too much risk/reward.  He might be back to full-contact practice by then, but I wouldn't expect him until a week or two deep at the earliest.

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Just think of it like this, those extra days off will help keep his legs fresher for a deep playoff run  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
It'd be pretty surprising if Rondo played opening night.  Just too much risk/reward.  He might be back to full-contact practice by then, but I wouldn't expect him until a week or two deep at the earliest.

I'm with you.  I'd rather err on the safe side than rush back two weeks early and risk re-injury.  Take the long view and play it smart.

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline IlCapitano

• Payton Pritchard
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/10/rajon_rondo_plans_full-contact.html

Cleared for full contact practice. And today was a "hard, physical practice" according to Stevens.

I think this is a done deal. Barring any problems he'll take the team to the court on Wednesday night.

Celtic Pride!

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Why is RR in such a rush to comeback?

He needs to get healthy 100 percent first. To prevent any further injuries , so the team can prepare to trade him in good condition

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:19 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He needs to get healthy 100 percent first. To prevent any further injuries , so the team can prepare to trade him in good condition
What if I told you Rondo wants to play basketball and play well during his contract year.

What if I told you Rondo is competitve and wants to win.

What if I told Rajon Rondo was a confident basketball player who thought he could win with this team.

30 for 30 presents basketball player Rajon Rondo in "He wants to play."

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Because he has balls of steel and it's why it's a guy you want in a playoff run, for all his faults the dude has guts.

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

What if I told you Rondo wants to play basketball and play well during his contract year.

What if I told you Rondo is competitve and wants to win.

What if I told Rajon Rondo was a confident basketball player who thought he could win with this team.

30 for 30 presents basketball player Rajon Rondo in "He wants to play."

This.  And this.

Because he has balls of steel and it's why it's a guy you want in a playoff run, for all his faults the dude has guts.

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Barring any problems he'll take the team to the court on Wednesday night.

Breaking: Rajon Rondo Drives Celtics to Game
Sources say he's looking at life beyond hoops.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.