Author Topic: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum  (Read 14266 times)

Re: Joel Anthony to Pistons for Will Bynum
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2014, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Interesting move if the trade goes through. Maybe Pistons are setting up for a bigger move.

I think they just need another big. Aaron Gray is the only other backup center on their roster.

Edit: And considering how much of a cult hero Bynum is in Detroit, seems like Pistons brass really do want Anthony.

Gray is out indefinitely after suffering what has only been described as a cardiac episode.  The Pistons signed Hasheem Thabeet to an unguaranteed contract, but they currently have 16 guaranteed contracts.

They've already got Monroe, Drummond, Smith, Thabeet, Jerebko and Gray (who's out).

Odd that they'd trade a fan favorite for a 3rd string back up who won't see the floor.

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Interesting move if the trade goes through. Maybe Pistons are setting up for a bigger move.

I think they just need another big. Aaron Gray is the only other backup center on their roster.

Edit: And considering how much of a cult hero Bynum is in Detroit, seems like Pistons brass really do want Anthony.

Gray is out indefinitely after suffering what has only been described as a cardiac episode.  The Pistons signed Hasheem Thabeet to an unguaranteed contract, but they currently have 16 guaranteed contracts.

I saw a "DNP-Not with team" for Gray earlier this week, didn't realize it was a cardiac thing. Not good.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
from espn insider:

Rajon Rondo | PG | Boston Celtics

There's no more obvious trade candidate than Rondo, who is an impending free agent on a team that surely won't contend for a playoff berth this season. After falling short in his quest to add a veteran star this summer, Danny Ainge appears resigned to a lengthy rebuilding process. In that scenario, dealing Rondo for picks and prospects is the most sensible outcome -- after a broken bone in his left hand has healed.

It still doesn't make sense to me. How many picks and prospects do we need? We are already stocked with expirings, prospects, and picks so when and if a veteran star becomes available we are properly equip to make an offer.

Rondo is a role player on a contender you can't expect much back for him. As for the prospects we have...what prospects do we actually have? Seriously. I guess you consider Sullinger a prospect. The Celtics have 12 role players and 3 bench warmers. But maybe they'll do the right thing and work towards Towns or Okafor.

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2014, 12:52:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Thanks LC,
Well now Pistons need to play Smith at Pf and rotate their bigs with Monroe getting more minutes at Center. Maybe they will be the big rotation we first thought they would be.

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:38 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Remember when Doc was coach and we badly needed a backup PG, yea those were the times.

Don't think that Bynum will stick.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Prelude to a Rondo trade?

Not likely.  The trade would probably worked out first with all the possible moving part in place.  Anthony and his expiring contract could be useful.

HUH?!?!

If there was a pending deal in place for Rondo already, then it would make sense.

But if there is not deal, Anthony is a decent size small expiring contract that can be used as cap filler if needed.  Bynum can't be used as that for I think 90 days. 

Therefor, I don't see how this deal is connected to trading an injured Rondo.  It looks more to me like a save money, get a better talent and (very important I think) add a veteran player at the position of a very young rookie to help him grow as a player.

Even when Rondo is back, you can see the two of them sitting next to each other with Bynum pointing out what Smart needs to see as a PG in the NBA.

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2014, 01:46:36 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2014, 01:50:30 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Anthony was toast, Bynum is even cheaper toast.

Savings = $900K

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For those who like Simmons (I do!):

http://nesn.com/2014/10/bill-simmons-predicts-celtics-will-trade-rajon-rondo-to-knicks-this-season/

We're discussing that silly prediction in another thread, let's avoid that discussion here as well. It has little to no merit at this point.

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

http://nesn.com/2014/10/bill-simmons-predicts-celtics-will-trade-rajon-rondo-to-knicks-this-season/

We're discussing that silly prediction in another thread, let's avoid that discussion here as well. It has little to no merit at this point.

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Oh thank you Jebus, please make this mean Pressey is immediately cut, he may be the worst player to ever play a minute in the NBA.

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2014, 02:24:36 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
from espn insider:

There's no more obvious trade candidate than Rondo, who is an impending free agent on a team that surely won't contend for a playoff berth this season. After falling short in his quest to add a veteran star this summer, Danny Ainge appears resigned to a lengthy rebuilding process. In that scenario, dealing Rondo for picks and prospects is the most sensible outcome -- after a broken bone in his left hand has healed.

It still doesn't make sense to me. How many picks and prospects do we need? We are already stocked with expirings, prospects, and picks so when and if a veteran star becomes available we are properly equip to make an offer.

Rondo is a role player on a contender you can't expect much back for him. As for the prospects we have...what prospects do we actually have? Seriously. I guess you consider Sullinger a prospect. The Celtics have 12 role players and 3 bench warmers. But maybe they'll do the right thing and work towards Towns or Okafor.
a role player on a contender  ::)

on to Bynum!  Last I saw him play I thought he was still pretty good.  Doesn't really make sense to add him.  Sure he's an upgrade over pressey but Bynum as 3rd pg?  I see turner as a better pg (at this point) than smart.  Ainge must have another trade in works, maybe a 2 for 1 trade?
I've been impressed enough with turner, thornton, bradley and smart.  I don't see rondo being moved unless its later in season to get a good center.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
from espn insider:

a role player on a contender  ::)

on to Bynum!  Last I saw him play I thought he was still pretty good.  Doesn't really make sense to add him.  Sure he's an upgrade over pressey but Bynum as 3rd pg?  I see turner as a better pg (at this point) than smart.  Ainge must have another trade in works, maybe a 2 for 1 trade?
I've been impressed enough with turner, thornton, bradley and smart.  I don't see rondo being moved unless its later in season to get a good center.

No kidding right?

Sullinger, Smart, KO, Young, AB, Zeller, Powell. Are all prospects. Thorton and Bass have good tradable contracts. Turner is on the cheap looking for a comeback (or come to). Wallace is overpaid but can contribute to a contender. Vitor and Pressey are bench warmers.

« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »

Offline soccerstock

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Just because Danny Ainge has been quiet for a few weeks doesn't mean he not up to something.  Anthony was not in Celtic  plans and it is likely Bynum is not either.  I think Danny may be positioning for another trade, perhaps packaging Bynum with others for either future draft choices or trading the three of them for a rim protector.  Absence of a rim protector, rebounder continues to be a huge and obvious weakness and needs to be fixed now rather than later. 

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I try not to duplicate posts, I did not see it before. 

BTW, been a whole lot worse than that discussed here. 

I guess if it didn't come from a  reliable source (go ahead shoot me down as I know this forum only believes what it writes or Wojo breaks) then I would have ignored and and said, nothing to see here.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."