Author Topic: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014  (Read 45706 times)

Re: FIBA Basketball World Cup 2014
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Did anyone get to see France v Lietuva?

In the box scores it looked like Demo was the weak link. Not sure if they played him out of position to try to match him up with Batum or not

D-Mo was lost, he started both halves, but Jankunas played a lot better than him... so sad because the kid seems to have all the tools, but he doesn't know how to use them.

He had a nice corner three, but aside from that... nada.

I hate that Spain was upset. I was looking forward to see them match up with the US team. I guess that's the flaw in a one-and-done tournament.

I hate it too, but they deserved to lose against the French, who were missing Parker, Mahinmi, Noah, De Colo, Seraphin... nothing to argue when you can't beat a depleted, lesser team. The worst of all is those kids who won the World Junior Championship in 1999 and the World Championship in 2006 won't likely have another chance (Navarro, Pau, Reyes...).

I don't think Spain will have it easy in the near future, both Serbia and France (and other teams like Greece, Turkey, Russia or Italy) have a great talent pool, too. But it will be fun to watch.

For now, this debacle is the worst defeat for Spanish NT since they lost to Angola in the 1992 Olympics (at home, too).

The US will win tomorrow, but the Serbians will put a good fight, they're talented and fearless, like their coach, the great Sasha Djordjevic. Go Serbia!

« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
I hate it too, but they deserved to lose against the French, who were missing Parker, Mahinmi, Noah, De Colo, Seraphin... nothing to argue when you can't beat a depleted, lesser team. The worst of all is those kids who won the World Junior Championship in 1999 and the World Championship in 2006 won't likely have another chance (Navarro, Pau, Reyes...).

I don't think Spain will have it easy in the near future, both Serbia and France (and other teams like Greece, Turkey, Russia or Italy) have a great talent pool, too. But it will be fun to watch.

For now, this debacle is the worst defeat for Spanish NT since they lost to Angola in the 1992 Olympics (at home, too).

The US will win tomorrow, but the Serbians will put a good fight, they're talented and fearless, like their coach, the great Sasha Djordjevic. Go Serbia!

Wow, I didn't realize they didn't have all of those guys. I just thought it was Noah and Parker. You're right, the loss was deserved.  Yea, with the Gasol brothers getting there up and age, I see Spain on the decline. The talent pool in other countries is getting deep.

Thanks for the info on the Serbian team. Sounds like they are no joke. Well, obviously they made it to the finals. They have Nenad and that Bogdan guy on their team. Hopefully, it's a close game.

« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2014, 03:16:36 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Serbia jumped out early to an 8 point lead. Davis got two fouls, they were doing a good job denying the ball to the other USA guards and they'd been getting to the rim.

But a couple stops, good work by Cousins, and Irving has put us back in the game.

« Reply #123 on: September 14, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
Wow, perfect first half for the US team, congratulations. There's no D on Serbia, but the kids tried to make it a game anyway, it's just that Coach K's team were too good for them.

Next summer's Eurobasket will be a war, where only the finalists qualify for the Olympics. Now, please Danny, give us some good fireworks  ;)

Go Celtics!

« Reply #124 on: September 14, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
For anyone interested, check out my recap of today's USA vs. Serbia gold medal matchup.

GAME RECAP --- USA vs. SERBIA

I also included my personal choice for Team USA's tournament MVP.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2014, 05:37:25 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Wow, perfect first half for the US team, congratulations. There's no D on Serbia, but the kids tried to make it a game anyway, it's just that Coach K's team were too good for them.

I don`t think anyone could ve done anything better. The last five mins of the first period were unreal and it reminded me of the Dream Team(God forgive the blasphemy).  USA had 62% 2p and 50% 3p.... And that`s after they slowed down!

The surprising thing (at least to me) is that it`s the first back to back world cup wins for USA.

« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2014, 06:00:34 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Did anyone get to see France v Lietuva?

In the box scores it looked like Demo was the weak link. Not sure if they played him out of position to try to match him up with Batum or not

D-Mo was lost, he started both halves, but Jankunas played a lot better than him... so sad because the kid seems to have all the tools, but he doesn't know how to use them.

He had a nice corner three, but aside from that... nada.

I hate that Spain was upset. I was looking forward to see them match up with the US team. I guess that's the flaw in a one-and-done tournament.

Also Canada's talent pool is increasing with Wiggins, Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Olynyk, Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, ect.. 

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
French, who were missing Parker, Mahinmi, Noah, De Colo, Seraphin...

USA was missing Howard, LeBron, Melo and Durant.

\

So much for the good fight.

I don't think you've seen Rubio play much.

I have and I think he is really over rated.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4011/ricky-rubio

Shoots .32% from three point land and 38% from the field.   He is a poor shooter.  Against France:

Rubio scored only four points on 1-for-7 shooting and was part of Spain's 2-for-22

As for his defense, he is a joke.  Thomas Heurtel  dominated him that game.   He can't NBA level players either.   He is a great passer and dribble.   But after that flashy handling he leaves much to be desired.

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Also Canada's talent pool is increasing with Wiggins, Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Olynyk, Tyler Ennis, Stauskas, ect..

the thing is in many cases NBA players are not willing to spent their summers training for international tournaments. Most of them are nothing like Dirk and Parker

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2014, 10:46:17 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
French, who were missing Parker, Mahinmi, Noah, De Colo, Seraphin...

USA was missing Howard, LeBron, Melo and Durant.

\

So much for the good fight.

I don't think you've seen Rubio play much.

I have and I think he is really over rated.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/4011/ricky-rubio

Shoots .32% from three point land and 38% from the field.   He is a poor shooter.  Against France:

Rubio scored only four points on 1-for-7 shooting and was part of Spain's 2-for-22

As for his defense, he is a joke.  Thomas Heurtel  dominated him that game.   He can't NBA level players either.   He is a great passer and dribble.   But after that flashy handling he leaves much to be desired.

easy there... Rubio isn't, by any means, a top 10 PG in the NBA, but Heurtel didn't dominate, he made some clutch shots, but he isn't that good. The French NT Defense was beautiful, they used some toughness and their athleticism, that was the key for that infamous (for Spain) game.

And the Serbians put a good fight, they just didn't have enough to stop the US... they were that good last night, just like the whole tournament. I don't know if Spain would've done better against them, but we'll never know.

By the way, I just talked about who the French was missing because they beat Spain, nobody was talking about who were the US missing... looking at the way they handled things, they didn't miss anyone, Coach K and his crew were amazing.

And yeah, Canada or Australia have a lot of talented prospects, but Ederson nailed it, they might or might not be willing to spend their summers playing in FIBA tournaments. Here's hoping they do.

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hey a lot of my post was tongue in cheek, sorry I got under your skin.  I am pretty patriotic, ex military.   Sorry, my bad.

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
Hey a lot of my post was tongue in cheek, sorry I got under your skin.  I am pretty patriotic, ex military.   Sorry, my bad.

CelticsBlog is a brotherhood, no problem  ;) 

Congrats again for the great championship, to all the US fans.