Author Topic: Defense?  (Read 3844 times)

Defense?
« on: October 17, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think the 2014-2015 Boston Celtics can potentially be a decent defensive ball club.  Everybody has been bemoaning the lack of a true rim protector, and rightfully so, but this team's fate on the defensive end will have to rest in large part on the play of the guys on the perimeter.

A back court rotation of Rondo, Bradley, and Smart is going to be a nightmare for the opposing ballhandlers.  Jeff Green has proven to have the size and athleticism to effectively guard big time small forwards.

Starting Kelly Olynyk and Jared Sullinger together isn't ideal, but I think they've shown good awareness together so far in the preseason.  I expect them to be improved defensively as a combination.  This will turn out to be more important than judging them as individual defenders.  They need to know how to man the back line and communicate together.  I think they are smart enough to figure it out, and be able to help their guards cover the lane.

I'm not saying we will be able to approach the levels of our Kevin Garnett led defenses of the recent past, but we should be able to be solidly middle of the pack (or slightly above) in the categories of points per game allowed and defensive rating. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

Re: Defense?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good team defense as we have some very good defensive players in AB and MS may be possible.   We do not have an elite defensive big.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think average at best just because there is no one down low to clean up the mistakes.  This means that perimeter defenders have to be more careful when going for steals. 

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:19:15 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Good team defense as we have some very good defensive players in AB and MS may be possible.   We do not have an elite defensive big.

That's what I'm saying.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:35:29 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think average at best just because there is no one down low to clean up the mistakes.  This means that perimeter defenders have to be more careful when going for steals.

Well, we were an average defense last year (we were an atrocious offense).  I think there are solid reasons to think the defense will be  better than last year.

1) Just by virtue of experience, Sully and Olynyk should be better defenders than last year.
2) Zeller is no KG, but he's easily a better defensive center than anybody we put at that position last year.
3) No more of Jerryd "The Human Turnstile" Bayless.
4) A healthier Rondo and more of him.

Last year, our lineups that got he most minutes had nobody over 6' 10" up front and the 5-man unit we used THE most had nobody over 6' 9".

This year, we should be able to have a 7 footer on the floor almost constantly and often two of them.

And you should NOT underestimate the defensive impact of NOT having Bayless on the floor.  He was awful.   'Seems like a really nice guy and could sometimes shoot you into a win.  But just a horrible defender.

I'm not going to assert we should be a top defense, but we should be a LOT better defensively than last year.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think we'll be at least as good as last year defensively, not sure we'll improve as a unit overall.

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
we are definitely getting there to be a top defensive team with Rondo/Bradley/Smart...and some people mentioned Green/Zeller/KO also provided a big lineup for defense as well

while we aren't top 5 or even top 10 anymore, I do think at best, this team can dangle around 15, or even anywhere between 15-20 best defensive team. For a very young team, that is encouraging. Had we had one defensive big, I say that can instantly put us near top 10.

I am not overvaluing our team by any means, just by what I can see, Smart and Bradley are hard on defense. Smart has very fast hands, physical, gets in front of his man, and Bradley does more or less the same thing.

I don't think we will be a 25 win team or a 26 win team as ESPN projected but I do think a small improvement like between 28-32 wins is very possible.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Won't have to worry about the ball going into the paint if opposing guards can't get it passed the 36-0-9 rotation.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Well, we were an average defense last year (we were an atrocious offense).  I think there are solid reasons to think the defense will be  better than last year.

1) Just by virtue of experience, Sully and Olynyk should be better defenders than last year.
2) Zeller is no KG, but he's easily a better defensive center than anybody we put at that position last year.
3) No more of Jerryd "The Human Turnstile" Bayless.
4) A healthier Rondo and more of him.

Last year, our lineups that got he most minutes had nobody over 6' 10" up front and the 5-man unit we used THE most had nobody over 6' 9".

This year, we should be able to have a 7 footer on the floor almost constantly and often two of them.

And you should NOT underestimate the defensive impact of NOT having Bayless on the floor.  He was awful.   'Seems like a really nice guy and could sometimes shoot you into a win.  But just a horrible defender.

I'm not going to assert we should be a top defense, but we should be a LOT better defensively than last year.
good post, good points. I would add another point. bayless is being replaced with smart. that alone will help the defense. but again, without a strong defense in the middle the celtics will not be a superior defensive team. i do expect them to be better than last year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
everybody thinks defense is just a given ability that will stick forever no matter what the circumstance...

did anyone see  LOU WILLIAMS shoot over the top of Bradley to win the game?  I DID

They might be good defenders, but anybody can shoot over the top of them rather easily.

More minutes also will take a toll on defense, as the offensive ability also rises

Im betting BRadley only gets worse from now, and as good as Smart is, unless he is playing only 10 minutes a game,

he will either be

1) foul trouble

2) not aggressive, not good on offense

3) Getting shot over the top

Defense is more of a team thing in the NBA, not individually

because in the end, you can hold a team to 87, but that wont do much when your scoring 84 points

Defense wins games but not with mediocre players like Smart, and Bradley

and Rondo is a star imo, but even if he was still a good defender, it doesnt mean much either.

What you need is a very good center, a talker, an anchor, then just a good philosophy (thibs) and players who give lots of effort.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Won't have to worry about the ball going into the paint if opposing guards can't get it passed the 36-0-9 rotation.

I like the ring to that

the 36-0-9 rotation

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
everybody thinks defense is just a given ability that will stick forever no matter what the circumstance...

did anyone see  LOU WILLIAMS shoot over the top of Bradley to win the game?  I DID

They might be good defenders, but anybody can shoot over the top of them rather easily.

More minutes also will take a toll on defense, as the offensive ability also rises

Im betting BRadley only gets worse from now, and as good as Smart is, unless he is playing only 10 minutes a game,

he will either be

1) foul trouble

2) not aggressive, not good on offense

3) Getting shot over the top

Defense is more of a team thing in the NBA, not individually

because in the end, you can hold a team to 87, but that wont do much when your scoring 84 points

Defense wins games but not with mediocre players like Smart, and Bradley

and Rondo is a star imo, but even if he was still a good defender, it doesnt mean much either.

What you need is a very good center, a talker, an anchor, then just a good philosophy (thibs) and players who give lots of effort.

I'm not sure what you saw, but I saw Williams clearly juke to the left and shoot to the side of Bradley, not over him.  That's pretty obvious from the baseline camera at the 00:27 mark of this video:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/celtics/2014/10/15/0011400057-tor-bos-play4.nba/

Williams made a great move and a great shot (from 3ft outside the arc as well).  It happens against the greatest defenders.   Give Williams credit.  I don't think this says anything whatsoever about Bradley's skills as a defender or some larger issue about size.   Size, while important, is far less relevant out on the perimeter than it is inside.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Tape reinforces what I thought watching it in real time: The defense was fine, the shot was better.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
the entire explanation is my point

Lou Williams isnt even 6'3, still got the shot off

Im not sayin Bradley isnt a great defender , he is

but in the NBA its very hard to play it for long minutes.

The best part about Bradley's defense is his ball pressure on point guards when he picks up full or halfcourt.

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure that all the conclusions you're drawing are safe to do so after a handful of preseason games.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.