Author Topic: Can we bring in Horford and sign Marc Gasol in the off season?  (Read 1899 times)

Can we bring in Horford and sign Marc Gasol in the off season?
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:30:42 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would you consider a big 3 of Rondo, Gasol, and Horford a contender? Maybe Pierce and Garnett could sign with us for veteran leadership and quality back up players?

Assuming we give up KO, Green, and cap fillers plus picks for Horford?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Can we bring in Horford and sign Marc Gasol in the off season?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:51:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If Danny could pull off a trade for Horford and manage to sign Gasol with only giving up KO and Green as key pieces, I'd be stunned.  all for it, but just don't see that happening.

I don't know if that team is a contender without that go to scorer which would likely have to be a wing player.  Assuming we still have our other key players (AB, Smart, Thornton, Turner, Young, Bass, Sully, Zeller) I think this team is one of the best in the conference. 

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If Danny could pull off a trade for Horford and manage to sign Gasol with only giving up KO and Green as key pieces, I'd be stunned.  all for it, but just don't see that happening.

I don't know if that team is a contender without that go to scorer which would likely have to be a wing player.  Assuming we still have our other key players (AB, Smart, Thornton, Turner, Young, Bass, Sully, Zeller) I think this team is one of the best in the conference.

Hawks are exploring options for Horford last year. I think we would have to lose Thornton, and maybe Smart or Bradley. I personally would give up Bradley, KO, Green, and filler/picks for Horford. I don't know if we could lure Gasol, but I think Brad Stevens system is designed to succeed without a go to scorer.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We could bring in Horford and Gasol when me poopies turn purple and start smelling like rainbow sherbert.

If Danny can get them, obviously you do it. I just don't see that being realistic.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 12:10:44 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
No.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Hawks are exploring options for Horford last year. I think we would have to lose Thornton, and maybe Smart or Bradley. I personally would give up Bradley, KO, Green, and filler/picks for Horford. I don't know if we could lure Gasol, but I think Brad Stevens system is designed to succeed without a go to scorer.
They may have been exploring options but my point is that the original offer by the OP seemed a bit light in talent to get that deal done.  I agree that we'd likely have to ship out Green and 2 young players and maybe a pick for Horford and something. 

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Wow, this thread is brimming with optimism!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think it's theoretically possible, but very very difficult. Here is how I thought it through:

We trade for Horford, something like Thornton, Olynyk and Zeller with picks. Renounce all of our FAs except Rondo and that leaves our salary at ~$63M including Rondo's cap hold. We then stretch Wallace which gives us about $10M in space under the projected 2015-16 cap. If Green declines his option that gives us a full max contract worth of cap space. At this point, we sign Gasol to the max, use Rondo's bird rights to sign him (maxed) over the cap and then offer Green the full MLE (about $5.5M). At this point we're paying tax. Before any draft picks are signed we're at $84M in salary. Our picks will probably be gone in the Horford trade so we might not add salary there, but filling out the roster with minimum guys will be costly. We'd probably need at least 1 spot up shooter. Think Dunleavy, Neal or someone taking the minimum to play here.

Our new roster looks like:

Rondo ($22M)
AB ($7.7M)
Green ($5.5M)
Horford ($12M)
Gasol ($22M)

with Smart ($3.4M), Young ($1.7M), Turner ($3.2M) and Sullinger ($2.2M) coming off the bench.

So in answer to your question, no it's not really possible. Green would have to be okay cutting his salary in half to compete while no one else does (unlikely in a SF weak market) and we'd have to convince the Hawks to trade us Horford and convince Gasol to sign here. It's just too many dependencies.

I'd settle for just bringing in Horford. His $12M salary is really cost-effective and he's a legitimate under-the-radar superstar. A starting 5 of Rondo/AB/Green/Sully/Horford is a playoff team in the East and it leaves a lot of flexibility in adding guys around them.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Marc Gasol was the guy I was championing to add as a third piece if we got Love...But since Lebron and Love went to Cleveland I've hit the bottle and cried myself to sleep for the past 4 months staying away from Celtics blog.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 03:42:28 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Marc Gasol was the guy I was championing to add as a third piece if we got Love...But since Lebron and Love went to Cleveland I've hit the bottle and cried myself to sleep for the past 4 months staying away from Celtics blog.

Makes two of us, minus the staying away from Celtics Blog ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Horford is one of the most injury prone players in the league, why would you want him?