Author Topic: Bill & Jalen's Celtics Preview  (Read 10163 times)

Re: Bill & Jalen's Celtics Preview
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2014, 03:24:20 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Watched it. Grantland makes the most entertaining sports stuff.

On the topic on hand, other than Stevens leaving (i doubt) and Rondo being traded to the Knicks (didnt like that package), I think they were spot on. They were right with Green, about the young guys and right that we're still not a good team, but we have pieces we can move to make our team better. 

BTW, a little off topic, I also watched the other four videos, LOL at Philly and that Onnerfanz dude. I literally laughed out loud on that.

On their Philly preview: I couldn't disagree more about Jalen feeling that Embiid needs to be reigned in on Twitter. Embiid and The Iron Sheik are the only two people worth following in the entire Twitter universe. Jalen should leave the moral outrage at athlete's remarks on social media to the pundits on Around the Horn and the useless talking heads on that half hour Comcast pile of crap with Gary Tanguay.

On their C's remarks and team preview's in general: I agree with most everyone that the Knicks trade proposal and Stevens bailing after this year seem pretty stupid, but I overall enjoy them and don't take these guys seriously at all. They don't appear to take themselves that seriously. Half the time they're just rambling and laughing at old music videos with their faces photo-shopped into them.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I enjoy these two.  They at least talk like normal human beings.   

And Bill is right to worry about Brad S.   He should be running from this dumpster fire Ainge has lit.   He could be winning championships in college and not coaching a roster of vagabonds losing 50 games a year.

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

And Bill is right to worry about Brad S.   He should be running from this dumpster fire Ainge has lit.   He could be winning championships in college and not coaching a roster of vagabonds losing 50 games a year.

50 losses?  Great, a fellow optimist!  You see improvement, too?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2014, 12:16:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
 Bill Simmons wouldn't have a job at ESPN if he wasn't the prototypical ESPN watcher.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2014, 07:13:05 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

50 losses?  Great, a fellow optimist!  You see improvement, too?
TP  ;D

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2014, 09:06:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
d Bill is right to worry about Brad S.   He should be running from this dumpster fire Ainge has lit.   He could be winning championships in college and not coaching a roster of vagabonds losing 50 games a year.

I disagree.   Colleges do not just take over and win championships that often and usually have to build programs over several years unless named Calipari.  Brad knows this he had to do it at Butler.  He probably embraces the challenge.

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2014, 10:11:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I was pretty disappointed with the video.  Nothing really new; saying a lot without saying much at all.  The Stevens thing is nothing.  All they said is that he might consider leaving if the Celtics keep losing and Indiana, Duke, or UCLA was available.  One "might" plus two "ifs" add up to nothing; kind of an imaginary number like the square root of -1.

As for the Knicks, I can't see them making a push for Rondo.  Calderon and Prigioni is a perfectly serviceable PG rotation for that team and Jackson's system.  If anything, they could use a dead eye 3-pt shooter to play SG (JR Smith may or may not be that these days), and they have kind of a strange rotation at PF with Stoudemire and Bargnani.  Barg will probably be the primary PF with Amare playing a PF/C rotation.  Jackson just might be able to get something out of Bargnani.

I think the Knicks are going to be fine and I would be surprised if they traded for Rondo.

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
ok I just watched the video.

this proposed deal with Rondo going to NY? ehh whatever I really don't think there will be a much better deal out there considering what Ainge said about "most teams in the league being ok with the PG that they have".

the problem I have is, this proposed deal couldn't get done this summer before the season started? or is it because the Knicks 2018 picks couldn't be traded at that time? I thought I remember hearing something like that?

I hope that's the only reason. because if not we're making the same mistake we did last season. and it was a mistake that cost us a top 3 pick, that ultimately cost us Love.

if Rondo gets dealt 2 weeks after coming back? then fine. but if this is a trade deadline deal. we either screwed up or we better have 1 helluva plan in place. because right now this team is worse than a lottery team. 

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Is Simmons going to gift us with an entertaining whacko rant the day after the trade deadline when Rondo isn't traded?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Just for the record. In their Detroit preview, Simmons suggests we might give Rondo to the Pistons.

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I thought that Bill Simmons, of all people, would actually mention the best thing about the Boston Celtics.

Rajon Rondo is one of the most entertaining players in the league, he's fully healed from ACL surgery, and in a few weeks we get to watch him play basketball again!

How is it that I've read like infinity season previews and no one has mentioned once that this time next month I will be sitting on my couch enjoying vintage Rajon Rondo for the first time in almost two years?

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I thought that Bill Simmons, of all people, would actually mention the best thing about the Boston Celtics.

Rajon Rondo is one of the most entertaining players in the league, he's fully healed from ACL surgery, and in a few weeks we get to watch him play basketball again!

How is it that I've read like infinity season previews and no one has mentioned once that this time next month I will be sitting on my couch enjoying vintage Rajon Rondo for the first time in almost two years?
IMHO bcs we are not sure yet he has fully recovered and because lots of new good PGs have emerged in the last few years. Actually, the league is full with good PGs.

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2014, 01:26:42 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

People have more fun outlining the negatives. I for one, is very intrigued on how this team plays with Rondo. Chris paul took his team to the playoffs with just David west.(maybe a year or 2 with Chandler). I am looking forward to what Rondo can do with the roster.

YES IM AN OPTIMISTIC.... I AM ALSO A  CELTICS FAN.

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 01:41:26 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

This has nothing to do with optimism. Win or lose, Rondo is a joy to watch play when he's healthy. His knee surgery was in Feb of 2013 and he was playing decently, although with noticeably diminished athleticism, last Spring. We have every reason to expect that this Fall will bring us a spry 28-year-old at the peak of his abilities.

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I love Rondo, I love watching Rondo play, I can't wait to see Rondo play the way he has in the past.

But athletes are like cars, if you don't run 'em they break down. I think there's a better than good chance Rondo breaks down again with all this time missed.

So imo moving on from Rondo is probably the best thing to do. plus it's not like this is the 1st time he's dealt injuries in his career.