Author Topic: Bill & Jalen's Celtics Preview  (Read 10175 times)

Re: Bill & Jalen's Celtics Preview
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I prefer Nyquil.  At least it puts me to sleep peacefully, and it tastes better.

I don't have the stomach for what Bill and Jalen are offering. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
But that comparison to a movie was so edgy and clever!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
The only thing I really took issue with was when he said that Stevens might leave after this year if things don't drastically improve. I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion considering he signed a 6 year deal.

I could see him leaving for Duke, Carolina, or Indiana.  I don't really get the sense that Stevens is enjoying this all that much.  I'm sure it'd seem a lot more fun if we were great, and he may well stay and become a great NBA coach for years, but to think he would give serious consideration to Duke, say, if and when K leaves, seems entirely plausible.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The only thing I really took issue with was when he said that Stevens might leave after this year if things don't drastically improve. I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion considering he signed a 6 year deal.

I could see him leaving for Duke, Carolina, or Indiana.  I don't really get the sense that Stevens is enjoying this all that much.  I'm sure it'd seem a lot more fun if we were great, and he may well stay and become a great NBA coach for years, but to think he would give serious consideration to Duke, say, if and when K leaves, seems entirely plausible.

If he quits after two seasons because the team's still struggling, good luck finding another job in the NBA again. 

I'm not convinced one way or the other about Stevens; impossible to judge him based on that Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.-tactular roster he had to work with last year.  But he can't quit, go back to the college ranks, and expect to get another gig as cushy as the one Danny gave him.  SIX year deal.  HUGE dollars, for an unproven coach.  ZERO expectations.  He can't throw that away.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 03:29:30 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Bill Simmons never needs evidence to say something like Stevens will likely leave.  He's been saying Rondo is gone for years and years.  As a Colts fan I have heard him say Reggie Wayne is washed up for the past 4 seasons.  He literally just thinks of something he would find interesting and talks about it. 

This is a man who talks about dumb trade machine ideas with NBA experts that belong here on the Celticsblog forums.  Hearing Lowe respond to his trade ideas is one of my favorites.

Taking him seriously, as some kind of reporter, is the last thing you should do.

Personally, I think it's crazy to underrate the drive Stevens has.  It's what has made him as good as his is so far.  I would not bet on him to quit after just two seasons.  So far this year I think he's doing a great job and I really do believe in him.  He knows more talent will come.

I do think the Duke or NC jobs would be tough choices for him but I hope he stays.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:10 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton

If he quits after two seasons because the team's still struggling, good luck finding another job in the NBA again. 

I'm not convinced one way or the other about Stevens; impossible to judge him based on that ****-tactular roster he had to work with last year.  But he can't quit, go back to the college ranks, and expect to get another gig as cushy as the one Danny gave him.  SIX year deal.  HUGE dollars, for an unproven coach.  ZERO expectations.  He can't throw that away.

I'm not saying he will.  Just that it's well within the realm of possibility.  If he made the choice to go back to an elite position in college that opened up, it'd likely be because he likes the college game and environment better than the pro game, and he wouldn't look back.  If you're coaching Duke or Carolina, you're going to make boatloads of money, anyway.  You're like some minor, or even major god on the college scene, or at least in your state. 

Who knows how he thinks about the 82 game schedule + preseason and playoffs, vs a 30-33 game season, and how having young children might factor in, and the fact that he buys all his own groceries (recruits his own players) and is entirely in charge of his program in college may play a factor.  I don't know what his priorities are.  Just saying that him leaving for a choice job like Duke or Carolina, should one open up, is plausible.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:57 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
[...]
Taking him seriously, as some kind of reporter, is the last thing you should do.

I don't.  I regard what he says as opinion.  He doesn't even pretend what he does is reporting.  He presents it as opinion.  And then fans get exercised about it.  Bonus for ESPN.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
[...]

I don't.  I regard what he says as opinion.  He doesn't even pretend what he does is reporting.  He presents it as opinion.  And then fans get exercised about it.  Bonus for ESPN.

I agree.  I always find him goofy but makes some enjoyable content can't hate on that.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 03:49:25 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah that trade proposal was garbage. A few things to note.

First, not sure why NYK would trade for Rondo when they can sign him in FA next season. Rondo and Melo have talked, I'm sure that Rondo doesn't want to go to a team that is giving up nearly all of it's limited assets in return for him. The Knicks made that mistake with Melo once already. Melo was probably going to NY either way. Not sure why they had to mortgage the future of the franchise to get him.

We already have about $34M in expiring contracts next season. Adding in Amare and swapping Rondo/Wallace actually makes that number increase. Having cap space is nice when people want to come play. That will probably not be the case. Gasol, Aldridge, Rondo along with Lebron/Love are next summer's big fish. I think we have a realistic shot at signing one of those guys. Care to guess which? Other notable FAs include Millsap, Deandre Jordan and Rudy Gay. I'd hope we'd take a swing at Gasol in FA but honestly at least 2/3 of the league is going to do that. You think Gasol is going to choose Boston over NY? I'm not even sure Rondo is going to do that.

Lastly, I think there are better trades on the table for Rondo. I think LA would probably give up Randle and possibly a 1st for Rondo. A trade with Detroit around KCP and pick(s) might make some sense. Even Dallas/Houston have more draft assets than the Knicks to make some play for Rondo. The Knicks are one of the most asset poor teams in the league, along with the Nets. It makes virtually no sense to deal with them and as I mentioned before it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to deal with us.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
[...]

I agree.  I always find him goofy but makes some enjoyable content can't hate on that.

Yeah, I still find him entertaining, too. 

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 03:53:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
How did he actually say that Knicks trade idea with a straight face?

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
I completely disagree about Danny trading Rondo to NY for that weak package. Never gonna happen.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah that trade proposal was garbage.
It's garbage, but you gotta figure the Knicks are one of the few teams that would actually bother making an offer for Rondo + are a destination for Rondo in free agency.   If nothing better comes up and we're on our way to 25 wins, Boston might reluctantly use the trade as an opportunity to dump Wallace and get a future 1st.  Rondo is going to dictate where he's traded, because there's only a couple teams he'll re-sign with.  Sounds like New York is a team he'd commit to long term.

Seriously... who are the other Rondo destinations?  Rockets, maybe?... but who would they even include at this point.    Lakers, maybe?    Knicks are a likely destination if Rondo hits free agency... so if we can dump Wallace on them and pick up a couple chips in the process, we might be best off doing that before Rondo flees.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:27:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
actually I don't like any of it except its hard to argue with it...we suck and we will continue to suck for the foreseeable future and 2 of our best  - Rondo and Stevens may leave....  who knows it may happen....

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also, why is there no Bill and Jalen's excellent Adventure photoshop on the internet yet?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.