Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38876 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Whenever Kelly Olynyk is the starting center on your NBA team it is a tanking year.

« Reply #241 on: November 02, 2014, 08:46:28 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
We are tanking Cleveland Cavaliers style. Where the team gets in a bunch of OK players and meanders it's way to a 10-12th finish with 30-35 wins. Then, to the fury of everyone else, somehow ends up with the #1 pick despite having only a 1.05% chance of doing so. You know it makes sense.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #242 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
We are tanking Cleveland Cavaliers style. Where the team gets in a bunch of OK players and meanders it's way to a 10-12th finish with 30-35 wins. Then, to the fury of everyone else, somehow ends up with the #1 pick despite having only a 1.05% chance of doing so. You know it makes sense.
So, you actually know the guy who fixes these ping pong balls  ;D

« Reply #243 on: November 02, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

(S)he knows a guy who knows a guy.

« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Gender is irrelevant here. It's only a matter of balls after all.  ::)

« Reply #245 on: November 02, 2014, 09:37:20 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206

Uh yeah my gender is clearly stated in my profile.

But that would mean some aspects of the NBA are crooked and David Stern always assured us this wasn't the case and I see absolutely no reason not to believe him.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #246 on: November 28, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Coming back to the same old question after having watched 13 games, the answer is........

« Reply #247 on: November 28, 2014, 04:43:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Wow ...another loss today

Looks like head on meeting with the Lottery committee .

We ll trade Rondo ....for the First pick ..thank you.

« Reply #248 on: November 28, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Coming back to the same old question after having watched 13 games, the answer is........

I don't think they are losing on purpose. I just think they suck and aren't that good. And they also cant defend. And they really need a good center. It's about what I expected it to be.

« Reply #249 on: November 28, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Rondo + Bass + fourth quarter = Losing

« Reply #250 on: November 28, 2014, 05:05:51 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think they are losing on purpose. I just think they suck and aren't that good. And they also cant defend. And they really need a good center. It's about what I expected it to be.
Philly is not losing on purpose. I am sure the players do the best they can.

« Reply #251 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:54 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
OH, YES WE ARE

« Reply #252 on: December 18, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Maybe I should lock voting now.
Something tells me the % are gonna change very quickly :'(

« Reply #253 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
This year? How about the next 2-3 years? 5 years plus to contend.

In the interim, lots of fodder for the fantasy freaks here with their 4 team trades that cannot work under the CBA.

« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2015, 06:51:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
AHEM
'We are not tanking' but...
-we focus on developing young talent.
-we let Lee, J.Crawford, Humphries and Bayless go and get Zeller, Thornton and ET
-Stevens will work his magic on ET and he will become consistent offensively (just like Green last year I suppose)
-Same magic will transform Zeller into a good rim protector
-We have a very little chance of entering playoffs (rephrase: Everyone else except Boston fans thinks we have a very ...)
-If we really wanted to make it in the playoffs, the trade with the Nets is simply absurd.
-Signing Brad Stevens for 6 years only makes sense if you want to focus on developing talent.
-There is a trade off between developing talent and winning. (Unless you think Doc was an idiot for playing the veterans)
-If you get so many draft picks, logic says you plan to use at least some of them.
- Given the change in the lottery system it makes huge sense to be among the worst six teams of the League.
-Yes, we could not get K.Love but we could have got some of the other (less good but solid) players available in the market. That we did not even try suggests something.
-Ainge is a smart and a calculating person. He does not give a sh__ for the playoffs. He wants to rebuild a contender through draft picks and trades. This will take time.
-Trades like the one that got us KG do not happen everyday. (and guess what? we used a draft pick to get him)
- And yes the draft works- this is how the Bulls got Jordan, OKC Durant, Milwaukee J. Parker. (And we got a certain Larry Bird- maybe you' ve heard of him).

In short, lots of wishful thinking + ignoring the obvious= we are going for 35+ wins this year, and we can make it to the playoffs.

Time to face reality.

OK, so we might not call this tanking bcs it is a bad word and in any case we do not go to the extremes that Philadelphia does. Let's just call it 'rebuilding' same way we might call a really fat person 'well fed'.
And sure I do not think Brad or Danny gives the players phone calls and tells them 'Guys, we really have to lose this game'.
It is way more subtle than this. But this roster is built to be among the worst six of the League this year. And it will be.