Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38694 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Lakers will out tank out this year and it will be painful to watch. Call me crazy but seeing young players that will in all likelyhood not be on this team for the next championship run score some points and beat teams like the Jazz and Sixers makes me angry. Now if Jared Sullinger becomes a 20/10 David West in his prime type of player so be it but I doubt that will happen

Also I wish it wasn't like this but Basketball is unlike all other sports in that you NEED to have transcendent players to win championships. In football, teams dont tank. In baseball, teams dont tank. In hockey teams dont tank. In the NBA? Yes

What about the Jazz and Sixers that makes you angry?
The fact that their GM's are and are going to be doing a better franchise reboot than ours. I envy Sixers fans as they have Embiid, MCW, Noel, and next year at this time, another elite top 5 prospect on their roster. Law of averages says at least one of them will become an allstar and there you go, that's how you build a team. Beating them contributes to us being a middling team, and helps them with their cause.

Teams go to the bottom all the time and few of them rise to the top. People are getting way too excited about a bunch of hyped up rookies/young players, most of whom  will never reach the levels that some posters are penciling them in for. Could the Sixers or the Jazz become contenders? Sure. Are the odds very high? No.

« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The 2014 draft class was considered one of the best draft classes in the history of draft classes.  Setting aside the Cavs who got the 1st pick after finishing with the 9th worst record and had the best player in basketball decide to return to his hometown (they are either an example of crazy good luck or the result of some vast NBA conspiracy), does anyone really think that any of the teams that picked two through seven in this year's draft put themselves in a position to be automatic title contenders within the next five years?

Are Philadelphia, Utah, Orlando, Milwaukee, Us, or the Lakers that much further ahead than they were last season?  I look at those teams, and I see the teams that most people expect to be at the bottom of the standings again this year. 

What, now?  Are these really the teams of the future?  Are they going to spend the next five or six years battling to out-tank each other until finally sometime in the mid-2020s, one of them emerges as a championship team?

Here we go!!  Let's restore Celtic pride!!  If we continue down this path, we'll have close to a 20% chance of being in contention by 2023!!

I'm so excited about the strategy of tanking for the greatest franchise in US sports history.  What could go wrong?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before...but if Ainge followed your advice, how many of you pro-tankers are going to buy a season ticket to watch Boston lose 50 to 60 games a year for the next 3 or 4 years?  A single game ticket?  Watch a game on TV?  Listen to it on the radio?

Or will you just check out and only jump back on the bandwagon if the team actually does get good several years down the road?  And if it doesn't, start the whole process over again and spend another 3 or 4 years tanking?

Mike

« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before...but if Ainge followed your advice, how many of you pro-tankers are going to buy a season ticket to watch Boston lose 50 to 60 games a year for the next 3 or 4 years?  A single game ticket?  Watch a game on TV?  Listen to it on the radio?

Or will you just check out and only jump back on the bandwagon if the team actually does get good several years down the road?  And if it doesn't, start the whole process over again and spend another 3 or 4 years tanking?

Mike

That's a more complicated question than it might seem, since the visibility of the NBA is so much greater than it was the last time the Celtics were bad for a protracted period of time.

Assuming the team stays bad, wouldn't you buy season tickets to see the other team's greats in person?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2014, 10:04:34 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

That's a more complicated question than it might seem, since the visibility of the NBA is so much greater than it was the last time the Celtics were bad for a protracted period of time.

Assuming the team stays bad, wouldn't you buy season tickets to see the other team's greats in person?

You can do it for that reason.  You can continue to own seasons for the sake of enjoying the experience of going to a professional basketball game.  You can do it for the reason I did when i initially got my season tickets back in the spring of '07; banking on a turnaround and seeing things from the groundfloor up. (Although I was banking on Oden/Durant and feel backwards into the KG/Allen thing so everything worked out in the end.  It also led me to discover Celticsblog).

There's bandwagoners.  There are people in it through thick & thin.  To me, it doesn't really matter what type of fan or season ticket holder (oops, sorry...member) someone is. 

The one thing that does bother me is when people try and tell you what type of fan you're supposed to be or what a "true fan" is.  That's a joke.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2014, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Mike

I'm probably the wrong person to respond to this as I've never been able to afford Celtics season tickets (I consider myself lucky if I can get to the Mecca for one game per year). 

However, I am not likely to check out on the Celtics if they remain bad for the next five years.  I'm going to continue to follow them to the point of a near unhealthy obsession, will continue to root for them to win as many games as possible, and will not be following to watch the superstars come in and put on a show.

Let's face it, though.  Obsessed, hyper-fans like us here on CelticsBlog are rare.  There's a very good chance that the Celtics organization will begin to lose considerable revenue if they don't turn this thing around sooner rather than later (hey, the Bruins are a winner).

I say, a good time for the turnaround to begin is the 2014-2015 season.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Mike

You can do it for that reason.  You can continue to own seasons for the sake of enjoying the experience of going to a professional basketball game.  You can do it for the reason I did when i initially got my season tickets back in the spring of '07; banking on a turnaround and seeing things from the groundfloor up. (Although I was banking on Oden/Durant and feel backwards into the KG/Allen thing so everything worked out in the end.  It also led me to discover Celticsblog).

There's bandwagoners.  There are people in it through thick & thin.  To me, it doesn't really matter what type of fan or season ticket holder (oops, sorry...member) someone is. 

The one thing that does bother me is when people try and tell you what type of fan you're supposed to be or what a "true fan" is.  That's a joke.

It's not a joke when a "fan" advocates a course that produces horrible, losing basketball for years on end.  There's a difference between being a fan and being someone who gets off on playing fantasy GM.

Mike

« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

Mike

It's not a joke when a "fan" advocates a course that produces horrible, losing basketball for years on end.  There's a difference between being a fan and being someone who gets off on playing fantasy GM.

Mike

As twisted as it might be (and I'm not in this boat), I can understand where some of the pro-tankers come from.   The idea of bottoming out to rebuild again rather than sitting in the purgatory of lottoland/low playoff seed.  They want the team to succeed in the long run.  They just seem to be willing to swallow some seasons of futility.

The joke is the idea that there is one way to be a "true fan". 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2014, 11:20:43 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Mike

Mike

As twisted as it might be (and I'm not in this boat), I can understand where some of the pro-tankers come from.   The idea of bottoming out to rebuild again rather than sitting in the purgatory of lottoland/low playoff seed.  They want the team to succeed in the long run.  They just seem to be willing to swallow some seasons of futility.

The joke is the idea that there is one way to be a "true fan".

I know we are all supposed to be hypersensitive to everybody's feelings, but the truth is that there are some people who are more devoted in their fandom than others.

I'm not saying anyone's better.  Most of the true fanatics could probably stand to find another more productive hobby or two, but those who could take or leave the team, aren't in that category for better and/or for worse. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The worth of someone's posts shouldn't be measured by how much they measure up to some arbitrary measurement of 'fandom.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
The worth of someone's posts shouldn't be measured by how much they measure up to some arbitrary measurement of 'fandom.'

Agreed. 

I don't think anybody is doing that, though. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
If you say so.

« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
If you say so.

I do say so.  If you'd like to argue that I've claimed differently, please point out where. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2014, 12:29:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I didn't say that you did, did I? You're hardly the only one posting in this thread.

« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No, I'm the best fan....

And in other news...

We tanked last year. Sometimes comically so.

We're not tanking this year from the get go with a roster that was terribly unbalanced and where we were showcasing players to get rid of them.  Whether we find we're effectively out of the running for the playoffs it at some point in the season and then decide to improve our draft position is another story.