Poll

Are we tanking this season?

Yes
41 (44.1%)
No
52 (55.9%)

Total Members Voted: 92

Author Topic: Are we tanking this year?  (Read 38770 times)

Re: Are we tanking this year?
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Can't be tanking if you simply have a bad team. Js

« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Looking at our roster, last year's disappointment, reading between the lines of what the front office says, all these have led me to revisiting stoicism

« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It's getting hard to talk rationally about this tanking thing because of the patriotism factor and the basic idea of whether or not you tanking is a good strategy.

If you just ask the question, though: "Is winning games this season the organization's top priority?" The answer is obviously no.

Is the organization trying to get the best possible personnel for this season's team? The answer is obviously no.

Is the team pursuing a winning strategy on the court? No, again.

That doesn't add up to tanking, exactly. As an organization, the Celtics aren't racing to the bottom- they just aren't trying to win.

I don't believe you are correct.  I believe the Boston Celtics will absolutely be pursuing a winning strategy on the court this season. 

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win a majority of their games, but the coaching staff and players will be attempting to win every time the team steps on the court.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No, and judging by Rondo's comments on front page of Blog sounds like he's very positive about our team and coach and direction we're going in.

Time to start filtering out the noise from media sources that are always clamoring for him to be traded or whatever.

He sounds like he is ready to compete with his teammates and win most of their games, like I expect BOS to do this year.

« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2014, 04:28:43 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
It's getting hard to talk rationally about this tanking thing because of the patriotism factor and the basic idea of whether or not you tanking is a good strategy.

If you just ask the question, though: "Is winning games this season the organization's top priority?" The answer is obviously no.

Is the organization trying to get the best possible personnel for this season's team? The answer is obviously no.

That doesn't add up to tanking, exactly. As an organization, the Celtics aren't racing to the bottom- they just aren't trying to win.

Where do you get this stuff???  how can you say, we are not trying to win??? let's hear your plan as to what Ainge had to do for us to be better.  by the way, don't be surprised if we win half our games this year.
I'm so sick of hearing, we're not trying!!!

« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2014, 04:42:31 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I can see them trying to play to win. All they need to do is just trade Green, Thornton and Bass to make sure we can't have too good a record. Keep the rest of the guys and develop them. Trade Rondo only if a very good deal comes.

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I can see them trying to play to win. All they need to do is just trade Green, Thornton and Bass to make sure we can't have too good a record. Keep the rest of the guys and develop them. Trade Rondo only if a very good deal comes.
IMHO Rondo is very unlikely to stay long in a rebuilding team. If we do not trade him we risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Having said this, I would be very happy to see him stay, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2014, 05:31:01 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
IMHO Rondo is very unlikely to stay long in a rebuilding team. If we do not trade him we risk losing him for nothing in the summer. Having said this, I would be very happy to see him stay, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

I don't mind him walking. Team can always do a S&T too. What I fear is that team takes on bad contracts and picks that are years away. Rather have cap space then crap players, bad contracts and picks that don't help immediately. DA can't be doing Walker type deals. Get something concrete that you don't have to flip 10x for fair value.

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2014, 05:39:58 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Where do you get this stuff???  how can you say, we are not trying to win??? let's hear your plan as to what Ainge had to do for us to be better.  by the way, don't be surprised if we win half our games this year.

I just think that some of us could be upset about not getting KLove...not trying to speculate on sofutomygaha's post, but KLove was "supposed" to be a BIG shoe that was going to drop for us this summer. It hasn't, and won't, and many of us are just not seeing the team in front of us as competing this year.

I was/still am - to a certain extent - in the "Just give up, KLove's not coming" bunch. But I'm moving on.

Looking back, I'm glad Danny didn't give up the farm for KLove - sure he is an outstanding player, but he wouldn't have the same effect on this team that KG had.

And speaking of which, it always seems darkest, right before things get better - with that being said, I'm looking forward to this team competing this year and making themselves an attractive FA landing spot this summer. We already got an All-Star, Championship-Proven PG and will prove to be a good defensive team this year.

Who wouldn't want to come to BOS this summer?

I'm looking forward to watching Danny work. 

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2014, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

I don't mind him walking. Team can always do a S&T too. What I fear is that team takes on bad contracts and picks that are years away. Rather have cap space then crap players, bad contracts and picks that don't help immediately. DA can't be doing Walker type deals. Get something concrete that you don't have to flip 10x for fair value.
-Glad we agree on Rondo.
-Wallace is the only really bad contract we are left with. And a Rondo trade could take care of that.
-Problem is all teams want immediatesuccess this is what makes creating a contender so hard. Talent development and draft picks take long, but IMHO it is the safer way to make it back to the top.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:58:30 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2014, 06:01:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

-Glad we agree on Rondo.
-Wallace is the only really bad contract we are left with. And a Rondo trade could take care of that.
-Problem is all teams want immediate this is what makes creating a contender so hard. Talent development and draft picks take long, but IMHO it is the safer way to make it back to the top.
I no longer view the Wallace contract as bad. Think about it, in less than one years time it will be an expiring $10 million contract. Since this is a developing year and there are no top 10 FA available next offseason keeping Wallace is no big deal. Giving up assets or returns to move him this close to expiring would be foolish IMO.

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2014, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

If our roster stays the same and we wind up as a .500 team I'll be shocked.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2014, 06:19:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
If our roster stays the same and we wind up as a .500 team, I will buy Stevens a box of  chocolates. And then I will take the plane all the way from Athens to personally deliver them.
And then we all wake up from the dream...

« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Yeah. Our big offseason acquisition (Smart) does almost zero to address the most glaring needs from last year.

I suppose KO and Sully might improve, but I don't see a big overall upgrade at any position.

Add the fact that Stevens should be more adept at coaching the pro game, and I could see us improving by 5-10 games if everyone stays relatively healthy. But even that's a pretty long way from .500.

« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2014, 06:35:49 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
No, and judging by Rondo's comments on front page of Blog sounds like he's very positive about our team and coach and direction we're going in.

Time to start filtering out the noise from media sources that are always clamoring for him to be traded or whatever.

He sounds like he is ready to compete with his teammates and win most of their games, like I expect BOS to do this year.
I am really surprised with the reactions Rondo's comments generated. Did anyone expect him to come out and say "Playing in a re-building team sucks. I want to be traded to the Knicks now."? Saying that he likes BOS and Stevens is elementary professionalism and PR.
The trade with the Nets, the six-year contract of Stevens, the amount of playing time the young talents get, and the ease with which we trade everyone but our young players, all suggest this team is about developing talent rather than winning games. It is hard to see a place for Rondo in such a team.