Author Topic: The Marcus Smart problem  (Read 5298 times)

Re: The Marcus Smart problem
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I agree with you Jumpingjudkins.  I also think that practice is the time to practice 3's.  Taking 5 or 6 in a game is not going to make him improve like taking 200 in a practice session. 

I think he needs to do a bit of both to have the best chance at improving his jumper.  Shooting in the gym is great for repetition and muscle memory, but I think you also need to put it in practice in games.  No amount of gym shooting will prepare you for shooting with a hand in your face during a game when you are slightly winded.

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:57 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
i do think (and hope) that he will be more aggressive driving to the lane, posting up in the regular season, he's probably just gauging his outside shot this practice pre-season. i hope we see a rookie wade slasher type soon.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
The season hasn't even started and I've already had enough of these Armageddon prophesies relating to Marcus's shooting.  I don't get the purpose of these postings.  We've dealt with the shooting of Rondo all these years and have done fairly well.  Now, we have another guard with superb skills, yet many keep bashing him for his shooting.  Sure, the compliments come first....then the bashing.  It's still bashing.  Let's move on...

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 11:52:44 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If you watch Smart carefully, his mechanics are decent.  I think in time he becomes an above average to good shooter.  Compare him to say Pressey who's form and release are inconsistent.  He will never be a good shooter. 

I'm fine with Smart looking for his shot.  He's going to be a very good player for this team.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:01 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Think anyone who thinks this is just a pre-season thing will be surprised. I don't see him continuing to take 70% of his FGA from 3PT land, but he'll probably hover around 30-40% in the regular season even if he shoots poorly. Even if he can't hit them, it was his shot selection in college. 30% from 3 is like 45% from 2 so whatever. Honestly don't care if it is within the flow of the offense. Now if he starts taking Thornton style 3s often..

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 01:47:01 AM »

Offline The_Truth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
He is going to be an all star 3 years from now. So chill y'all.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 02:08:10 AM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
For a PG, not having a decent 3 point shot is a crippling disability in today's game. Smart should absolutely use this preseason to hone his shot in REAL NBA SITUATIONS.

I would go as far as saying that if the Cs are not competitive this year (i.e. tank mode) he should continue doing so throughout the entire season. That is what player development is all about.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 03:37:09 AM »

Offline shrinkage36

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
For a PG, not having a decent 3 point shot is a crippling disability in today's game. Smart should absolutely use this preseason to hone his shot in REAL NBA SITUATIONS.

I would go as far as saying that if the Cs are not competitive this year (i.e. tank mode) he should continue doing so throughout the entire season. That is what player development is all about.
I agree with this. Reps reps reps.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 07:46:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I wouldn't be surprised if Stevens is telling Smart and Pressey to let the open 3s fly. Giving players the confidence to shoot will make them better shooters.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The season hasn't even started and I've already had enough of these Armageddon prophesies relating to Marcus's shooting.  I don't get the purpose of these postings.  We've dealt with the shooting of Rondo all these years and have done fairly well.  Now, we have another guard with superb skills, yet many keep bashing him for his shooting.  Sure, the compliments come first....then the bashing.  It's still bashing.  Let's move on...

Rondo's shooting has affected how teams need to defend the C's. (They can sag off of him.) But he has always been very good at mitigating his shooting's direct effect on the game by shooting a relatively high overall percentage. Smart IMO needs to learn a similar degree of discipline in shot selection if he is going to similarly minimize the result of his poor shooting (while of course working to improve it as well). Given that they're not going to be competitive this year, Smart's different makeup, and Stevens's approach to coaching confidence and shooting, Smart will probably be trying to mix improved selection with relatively free shooting, with limited regard for the results.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 08:56:28 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
My guess is he will he on the floor with Turner a lot. And if preseason is an indication, Turner will do a majority of the ball handling. So I think Smart will be a spot up shooter. So I have no problem with him practicing during the preseason.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 09:20:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is rookie, he will take some lumps, only fools thought he would be a dominant offensive player given his college shooting.   Now he will be a great defensive player from the get go.

Shooting is a skill that can be developed.   Tenacity and toughness, which he has in spades, can not be developed.  Sure it can be faked and people can be conditioned to certain reactions but this is not toughness.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Jason Kidd ran the Nets offense fluidly at the time when they were perennial title contenders. Part of their offense was him taking 3 pointers in transition even at almost the same success rate that Smart is making now. There were times Kidd's shot fell in and made the difference in crucial games even as we all know that he isnt a good shooter.

Smart will do well and progress positively on his 3point shooting. His shooting form is good and far better than Kidd's.

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 09:37:43 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
He is rookie, he will take some lumps, only fools thought he would be a dominant offensive player given his college shooting.   Now he will be a great defensive player from the get go.

Shooting is a skill that can be developed.   Tenacity and toughness, which he has in spades, can not be developed.  Sure it can be faked and people can be conditioned to certain reactions but this is not toughness.
TP.  Once the refs figure out his game defensively, watch out.  He's going to have a KG like impact on team defense - but from the backcourt.  You can already see it in him.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Didn't see any of the game last night?  What was his shot selection like?  Was he getting inside more or floating around the perimeter?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team