Author Topic: The Marcus Smart problem  (Read 5311 times)

The Marcus Smart problem
« on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:34 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
There's a whole lot to like about Marcus Smart. He's physical, he can pass, his defense is outstanding, he gets to the foul line.

His obsession with the 3-pointer, though, is already driving me crazy at an almost Antoine Walker-like level.

Can we stipulate that he is not a good 3-point shooter? Below 30 percent from the shorter college line both years at Oklahoma State. A sizzling 25.7 percent in Summer League, and 19 percent in the preseason.

There are many great guards who don't have great 3-point shots. Rajon Rondo, to cite one nearby example. Dwayne Wade, a future Hall of Famer. Given their lack of 3-point ability, however, Rondo and Wade choose not to throw up many threes. Smart's lack of shooting ability is not the issue.

The problem with Smart is that he doesn't seem to have the self-awareness to realize that he's not a 3-point shooter, and he hasn't had a coach tell him this. He chucked up seven 3-pointers a game in the summer league, a team-high and more than half his shots. He's taking 5.25 threes per game in the preseason -- 2.0 per game inside the arc -- second on the team to Thornton, and more than anyone on the Celtics averaged last year. He took more than five 3s per game in college too.

It's great that he's getting all this practice at 3-point shooting, and hopefully he'll get better at it, but can't he practice it in, you know, practice?

How much better of a player would Smart be if he forced the ball to the basket 5 more times a game, creating for others and/or getting to the line? I know his ability to finish inside is a question ... but it's mainly a question because he's rarely tried it so far. A lot more good things can happen when he drives then when he pulls up for three with 16 seconds on the shot clock. Why doesn't he see this? Is there any chance Brad Stevens mentions this to him?

Smart should be watching tape of Wade going to the basket and picking up phantom fouls four hours a day until he gets the hint.

Re: The Marcus Smart problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It becomes a problem once it starts losing us real games, you know?

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
Ah, but then we'll get the "we're not going to win this year so it's great that he's working on his weakness" arguments.

Which is why I want Tyler Zeller bringing the ball upcourt ...

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:58:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
If he's being encouraged to work on his jump shot in preseason by the coaching staff, I'm fine with that.  It's the preseason.

Come regular season, I'd like to see him attack the rim more. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:00:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah as others said... preseason is a time to work on weaknesses.  Smart can't shoot... makes sense they have him shooting.

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also, as a fan, it makes me emphasize with Smart -- I'm also a terrible shooter and am surrounded by people taller than me whenever I play basketball.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
Wouldn't preseason be a good time for him to be getting into good habits, like taking quality shots? We've got two years of college to show that his shot selection is terrible. How does he learn to control himself with an unrestricted green light?

It sounds like I hate the guy and I don't. It just frustrates me because he's got great potential to be a difference-maker if he had a different mindset.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 06:38:50 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
The problem with Smart is that he doesn't seem to have the self-awareness to realize that he's not a 3-point shooter, and he hasn't had a coach tell him this.
They want him to shoot.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Since beginning of last season

-KO has noticeably improved his 3 pt shooting
- Sullinger has been on and off. But looks like has improved his 3 pt shooting (pre season)
- Pressey , same as Sullinger.  Last year he would miss open ones but so far, but not this season so far. Mechanics looked improved

Smart has the green light and encouragement from teammates to become a good 3 pt shooter. He can shoot it. Has the range, not a bad looking stroke.   If by next season he is not near auto hitting the open 3's, then the team will have a different game plan for him. 

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 07:15:35 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I agree with you Jumpingjudkins.  I also think that practice is the time to practice 3's.  Taking 5 or 6 in a game is not going to make him improve like taking 200 in a practice session. 

I'm not totally frustrated with Smarts 3's yet, but some recent examples of Celtics who I actually hoped would miss 3's in hope that it would prevent them from taking several more are Sullinger, Rasheed, and Antoine.  I don't think the Josh Smith method is the way to go.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I agree with you Jumpingjudkins.  I also think that practice is the time to practice 3's.  Taking 5 or 6 in a game is not going to make him improve like taking 200 in a practice session. 

I'm not totally frustrated with Smarts 3's yet, but some recent examples of Celtics who I actually hoped would miss 3's in hope that it would prevent them from taking several more are Sullinger, Rasheed, and Antoine.  I don't think the Josh Smith method is the way to go.
At the risk of being obvious, there is no practice substitute for live shooting with a defender in your face.  Not that he shouldn't practice three's in practice of course.

The league has changed in past 20 years. Young players know if they can prove themselves quickly with the 3-ball, they will be more likely to stay employed. Again, not saying that Smart is doing this (I am sure the coaches are telling him to shoot), but it just seems to be another way the 3 pointer has had such a major influence in the modern game.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
it's a rule, everyone on this team has to shoot 3's. nothing to do with smart.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
still quite streaky...

but you gotta love the defense that fueled tonight's comeback to tie it up
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
still quite streaky...

but you gotta love the defense that fueled tonight's comeback to tie it up

yup.  He really needs to take it to the basket more . I haven't seen him once bulldoze to the basket, absorb contact and 1.

He had like 20 and 1's in college?

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
He's aggressive. I like it. Brad will reel him in if needed.