Author Topic: Al Horford  (Read 6656 times)

Re: Al Horford
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 04:08:23 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

There's always someone who nobody is talking about who becomes available.  With the assets your GM has accumulated, you have plenty of ammo to land a great player.  As you said, nothing is guaranteed, but at least you've prepared yourself to be put in that position (to acquire or at least make an attempt).  A lot of teams weren't in that position to acquire a guy like Love.  It just so happened that a team ahead of you got lucky twice in the lottery, & landed the biggest fish in free agency.  2 number one picks and LeBron is pretty darn tough to beat. That doesn't happen all the time.

I like your chances considering the assets your GM has built.

I agree.  We got beaten by really the best package a high caliber player has gotten back recently.  I think if it wasn't for Cleveland, Love would have come to the Celtics.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would go Green and Joel Anthony (along with our 2015 pick, and the Nets 2016 + 2018) for Horford.

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

We would be loaded at PG and up front.  Without Green, we would be thin on the wings. Young will come up and Smart can play SG, so we will be ok.

Still have several picks coming up including ability to swap picks with Nets in 2017. Have Clippers pick in 2015, future Philly 2nd rounders that have value, Cavs 2016 pick and our own 2016.

Would love to move up and get Stanley Johnson in the draft. Finding someone that can play the 3 or stretch 4 would be ideal. If not able to trade up, Poythress at Kentucky or Brice Johnson at UNC are both juniors that could maybe help.

Unless if a trade puts us in true contender status which as much as I like Horford really doesn't I want to hold onto all of those Nets picks.  Those picks could be gold.

And that's just it.  Is it a guy that vaults you into contender status ?  Does he move the needle ?

If the answer is no, you stay patient in the process and strike when that answer is yes.  Save the assets you have so that they can be packaged for a player that's even better.  That would be the way I go.  Especially considering the amount of assets at your disposal.

Stay patient.  Ainge is a gambler, risk taker....but he's also good at staying patient.

And the flip side to that is, if you stay patient, it's not guaranteed that one day a team is going to deal you a very good player for our "assets" (see Minnesota this past summer.)

I will admit, with Horford, the only thing I'd be worried about is his health.

Awesome player, but he's had a hard time staying on the court the last couple seasons, so yes there is risk involved.

There's always someone who nobody is talking about who becomes available.  With the assets your GM has accumulated, you have plenty of ammo to land a great player.  As you said, nothing is guaranteed, but at least you've prepared yourself to be put in that position (to acquire or at least make an attempt).  A lot of teams weren't in that position to acquire a guy like Love.  It just so happened that a team ahead of you got lucky twice in the lottery, & landed the biggest fish in free agency.  2 number one picks and LeBron is pretty darn tough to beat. That doesn't happen all the time.

Aingeforthree, just gave you your 44th TP.  How fitting with your name. 

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I would go Green and Joel Anthony (along with our 2015 pick, and the Nets 2016 + 2018) for Horford.

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

We would be loaded at PG and up front.  Without Green, we would be thin on the wings. Young will come up and Smart can play SG, so we will be ok.

Still have several picks coming up including ability to swap picks with Nets in 2017. Have Clippers pick in 2015, future Philly 2nd rounders that have value, Cavs 2016 pick and our own 2016.

Would love to move up and get Stanley Johnson in the draft. Finding someone that can play the 3 or stretch 4 would be ideal. If not able to trade up, Poythress at Kentucky or Brice Johnson at UNC are both juniors that could maybe help.

Unless if a trade puts us in true contender status which as much as I like Horford really doesn't I want to hold onto all of those Nets picks.  Those picks could be gold.

And that's just it.  Is it a guy that vaults you into contender status ?  Does he move the needle ?

If the answer is no, you stay patient in the process and strike when that answer is yes.  Save the assets you have so that they can be packaged for a player that's even better.  That would be the way I go.  Especially considering the amount of assets at your disposal.

Stay patient.  Ainge is a gambler, risk taker....but he's also good at staying patient.

And the flip side to that is, if you stay patient, it's not guaranteed that one day a team is going to deal you a very good player for our "assets" (see Minnesota this past summer.)

I will admit, with Horford, the only thing I'd be worried about is his health.

Awesome player, but he's had a hard time staying on the court the last couple seasons, so yes there is risk involved.

Aingeforthree, just gave you your 44th TP.  How fitting with your name.

Thank You !

#44, For THREEEEEEEE !

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

I agree.  We got beaten by really the best package a high caliber player has gotten back recently.  I think if it wasn't for Cleveland, Love would have come to the Celtics.

I agree.  It seemed like everything just fell in place for Cleveland, and it started with Wiggins.  After that, it was over.  The lottery is truly just that.

I think the Celtics though are in great position for the next man up.  I don't think anybody on this board even knows who it will be yet, and I also don't think the media is talking about him.  It will be somebody who nobody has talked about that all of a sudden is available, and next thing you know is wearing Green.

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I agree.  It seemed like everything just fell in place for Cleveland, and it started with Wiggins.  After that, it was over.  The lottery is truly just that.

I think the Celtics though are in great position for the next man up.  I don't think anybody on this board even knows who it will be yet, and I also don't think the media is talking about him.  It will be somebody who nobody has talked about that all of a sudden is available, and next thing you know is wearing Green.

I agree.  The landscape in the NBA can change in a hurry, and we just have to be patient.   Say for example the Knicks and Heat flounder in the next couple years, and all of a sudden Anthony and Bosh are wearing green.   The key is being patient holding onto the potential high picks that actually turn out to be stars themselves, or we cash in to be true contenders again. 

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 03:00:20 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I think Horford is actually a realistic target for the C's. The problem is that the new ownership might not want to ship Horford off so fast. I'd offer KO and two 1sts for Horford. I'd also try to pry Korver away if they're going full rebuild.

Something like:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lab2tgy
With two 1st rounders might be enough.

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Horford is actually a realistic target for the C's. The problem is that the new ownership might not want to ship Horford off so fast. I'd offer KO and two 1sts for Horford. I'd also try to pry Korver away if they're going full rebuild.

Something like:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lab2tgy
With two 1st rounders might be enough.

I think it would take much more than KO and 2 firsts.  the only way that would be enough is if those firsts were both in the top 3 picks and if that was the case, I'd rather keep the picks.