Author Topic: Al Horford  (Read 6653 times)

Re: Al Horford
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 07:10:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Green and/or Bradley, Olynyk plus picks?
To get Horford without giving up Sully or Rondo?, oh yeah sign me up. Horford, Sully Turner Smart Rondo starting five.

Thing is, if I were Atlanta, I might want Sully back as a younger cheaper replacement for Horford. 

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 04:53:53 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I must say that I believe we should do (almost)whatever we can to sign Al Horford.

If we can make a deal of Bass, Green and 2 first round picks, then I would do it any day. Do we have to give up Sully or Olynyk, then I would be much for displeased.

A core of bigmen with Sully, Olynyk, Zeller and Horford would mean that we can run the floor and that we would then be able to play up-tempo basket, which would be extremely interesting to watch and a perfect fit for Smart, Rondo and Bradley.

So my conclusion is - go for Al Horford, give up anything besides our young core and Rondo!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:04:08 AM by the_gunner »

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 06:53:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Horford is awesome, but he's not a center.

This^

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I'd probably sell the farm for Horford and lock him up on an extension as quickly as possible. Worst case scenario we end up with a top 10 big man to pair with Rondo. Best case, he is able to solidify our core enough to lure either Marc Gasol or even his old college running mate Joakim Noah.

At some point when you've collected as many "B" assests as we have, you have to cash in. At least Horford is high character, high IQ and would be a great fit for Stevens system.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
big Horford fan.  think he'd be even better if he got to play PF instead of C. 

probably would take something like this to get him:
- Sully or KO
- Smart or AB
- Green or Thornton
- 1st (might be able to get top 8-10 protected for a year)

I think the C's have enough depth that they could absorb that type of hit.  I can't see Atlanta moving Horford for players without upside and at least one first round pick.  Adding Horford to Rondo and the talent left on the roster puts the C's in the playoffs provided Horford is healthy.
Rondo, AB, Turner, Horford, KO
with Thornton, Wallace, Bass, Zeller, Young, Fav, Anthony would be a playoff team in the East.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The guy needs to cutback slightly on the steroids and he'd be great for us. When you flex and tear a bicep you know youve gone too far.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

- Sully or KO
- Smart or AB
- Green or Thornton

I think the C's have enough depth that they could absorb that type of hit.  I can't see Atlanta moving Horford for players without upside and at least one first round pick.  Adding Horford to Rondo and the talent left on the roster puts the C's in the playoffs provided Horford is healthy.
with Thornton, Wallace, Bass, Zeller, Young, Fav, Anthony would be a playoff team in the East.

His stats and versatility as a center prove otherwise:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224949-meet-al-horford-the-nbas-hidden-superstar
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

- Sully or KO
- Smart or AB
- Green or Thornton

His stats and versatility as a center prove otherwise:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2224949-meet-al-horford-the-nbas-hidden-superstar
i'm not saying he hasn't done well as a C but I think he'd be better suited as a PF alongside a good defensive center.

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I would go Green and Joel Anthony (along with our 2015 pick, and the Nets 2016 + 2018) for Horford.

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

We would be loaded at PG and up front.  Without Green, we would be thin on the wings. Young will come up and Smart can play SG, so we will be ok.

Still have several picks coming up including ability to swap picks with Nets in 2017. Have Clippers pick in 2015, future Philly 2nd rounders that have value, Cavs 2016 pick and our own 2016.

Would love to move up and get Stanley Johnson in the draft. Finding someone that can play the 3 or stretch 4 would be ideal. If not able to trade up, Poythress at Kentucky or Brice Johnson at UNC are both juniors that could maybe help.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would go Green and Joel Anthony (along with our 2015 pick, and the Nets 2016 + 2018) for Horford.

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

We would be loaded at PG and up front.  Without Green, we would be thin on the wings. Young will come up and Smart can play SG, so we will be ok.

Still have several picks coming up including ability to swap picks with Nets in 2017. Have Clippers pick in 2015, future Philly 2nd rounders that have value, Cavs 2016 pick and our own 2016.

Would love to move up and get Stanley Johnson in the draft. Finding someone that can play the 3 or stretch 4 would be ideal. If not able to trade up, Poythress at Kentucky or Brice Johnson at UNC are both juniors that could maybe help.

Unless if a trade puts us in true contender status which as much as I like Horford really doesn't I want to hold onto all of those Nets picks.  Those picks could be gold. 

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 03:36:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

Unless if a trade puts us in true contender status which as much as I like Horford really doesn't I want to hold onto all of those Nets picks.  Those picks could be gold.

To me, it really depends on Horford's health and ability to extend him. 

At some point, Ainge is going to need to start cashing in some of these chips he has (youth & draft picks).  For a healthy Horford, I would.    He's a proven commodity (healthy) while those draft picks are the great unknown. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

To me, it really depends on Horford's health and ability to extend him. 

At some point, Ainge is going to need to start cashing in some of these chips he has (youth & draft picks).  For a healthy Horford, I would.    He's a proven commodity (healthy) while those draft picks are the great unknown.

Good point.

Draft picks are like a winning lottery ticket.

They are of no use unless you turn them in and get something for them.

And so far, perhaps with the exception of our 2015 1st rounder, we really no idea how valuable some of these picks (like the Nets and Clippers picks) may be.

For all we know, the Nets picks could end up being in the 20s.

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

And that's just it.  Is it a guy that vaults you into contender status ?  Does he move the needle ?

If the answer is no, you stay patient in the process and strike when that answer is yes.  Save the assets you have so that they can be packaged for a player that's even better.  That would be the way I go.  Especially considering the amount of assets at your disposal.

Stay patient.  Ainge is a gambler, risk taker....but he's also good at staying patient.

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 03:57:05 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

And that's just it.  Is it a guy that vaults you into contender status ?  Does he move the needle ?

If the answer is no, you stay patient in the process and strike when that answer is yes.  Save the assets you have so that they can be packaged for a player that's even better.  That would be the way I go.  Especially considering the amount of assets at your disposal.

Stay patient.  Ainge is a gambler, risk taker....but he's also good at staying patient.

And the flip side to that is, if you stay patient, it's not guaranteed that one day a team is going to deal you a very good player for our "assets" (see Minnesota this past summer.)

I will admit, with Horford, the only thing I'd be worried about is his health.

Awesome player, but he's had a hard time staying on the court the last couple seasons, so yes there is risk involved.

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Rondo  Smart
Bradley
Turner  Young
Sullinger or Olyynyk
Horford Zeller

And the flip side to that is, if you stay patient, it's not guaranteed that one day a team is going to deal you a very good player for our "assets" (see Minnesota this past summer.)

I will admit, with Horford, the only thing I'd be worried about is his health.

Awesome player, but he's had a hard time staying on the court the last couple seasons, so yes there is risk involved.

There's always someone who nobody is talking about who becomes available.  With the assets your GM has accumulated, you have plenty of ammo to land a great player.  As you said, nothing is guaranteed, but at least you've prepared yourself to be put in that position (to acquire or at least make an attempt).  A lot of teams weren't in that position to acquire a guy like Love.  It just so happened that a team ahead of you got lucky twice in the lottery, & landed the biggest fish in free agency.  2 number one picks and LeBron is pretty darn tough to beat. That doesn't happen all the time.

I like your chances considering the assets your GM has built.