Author Topic: Al Horford  (Read 6659 times)

Al Horford
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:36:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Re: Al Horford
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:12 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Horford is awesome, but he's not a center.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
He's not but he'd be centery enough for me.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
For the right price, I might give it a go... too much of an injury risk at this point though.

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's a binky of mine.  The health is the real concern, though, and I'd agree that I'd rather have him in there at PF.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Arguably the best center in the league last season until he got hurt.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 03:13:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Sully + Horford combo might be interesting, both not tall, but they play strong and rebound well and have shooting extension as well.

It's an interesting case to consider, plus under contract next year at a cheap 12 million which could help attract free-agents, but it has to come at the cost of Green or Wallace at the very least.

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I think Al Horford would be a fantastic player, but I can't see what we have to offer besides a 1th round pick. It's not that they are interested in Bass or Wallace.

How would you guys structure a deal?

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:00:59 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Green and/or Bradley, Olynyk plus picks?

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I think Al Horford would be a fantastic player, but I can't see what we have to offer besides a 1th round pick. It's not that they are interested in Bass or Wallace.

Could be something to watch for by the trade deadline.

At this point it be hard to say. Somewhat similarly with Rondo, I think the Hawks would first like to see how Horford responds from his injury and then go from there.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 04:35:34 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

At this point it be hard to say. Somewhat similarly with Rondo, I think the Hawks would first like to see how Horford responds from his injury and then go from there.

Also, depending on the sale of the Hawks. New owner could mean new gameplan. If the idea suddenly turned to rebuild and/or cut costs, then Ainge might be able to tempt Atlanta with picks and expirings.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Green and/or Bradley, Olynyk plus picks?

Pass.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
6'10"/250# Forward-Center

Where can I sign up?  What do we have to give up?

From another site:

"The problem for the Boston Celtics is finding the right package. While Lowe suggested the package would need to include an 'unprotected first', I get the feeling the price could be much higher, as you'd expect to see plenty of suitors for Horford's services. In particular, the Chicago Bulls, who are currently armed with a trove of young assets, including the already very impressive Nikola Mirotic.

In order to acquire Horford (whose contract doesn't expire until the end of next season), I think the Celtics need to break the bank. Meaning either this year's unprotected first or Marcus Smart, Jeff Green, and at least one of Brooklyn's picks.

That might sound like a stiff price to pay, because it is. But a look across the league will remind you of this; there's not a whole lot of 6 foot 10 inch guys who can walk and chew gum, let alone provide the elite two way production Al Horford can provide."
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:46 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
6'10"/250# Forward-Center

Where can I sign up?  What do we have to give up?

From another site:

"The problem for the Boston Celtics is finding the right package. While Lowe suggested the package would need to include an 'unprotected first', I get the feeling the price could be much higher, as you'd expect to see plenty of suitors for Horford's services. In particular, the Chicago Bulls, who are currently armed with a trove of young assets, including the already very impressive Nikola Mirotic.

In order to acquire Horford (whose contract doesn't expire until the end of next season), I think the Celtics need to break the bank. Meaning either this year's unprotected first or Marcus Smart, Jeff Green, and at least one of Brooklyn's picks.

That might sound like a stiff price to pay, because it is. But a look across the league will remind you of this; there's not a whole lot of 6 foot 10 inch guys who can walk and chew gum, let alone provide the elite two way production Al Horford can provide."
Boscel33 is absolutely correct in saying that it would take a number of valuable assets to get Horford. Too many trade proposals want to give up guys that we really don't want for another team's valuable player. Having said that, I looked at Atlanta's depth chart at center and saw that it was Pero Antic and Mike Muscala. They are not trading him to us because we can't give them back a solid center candidate along with other assets in return. No, Zeller has not yet shown himself to be a solid center and no, Adreian Payne is a stretch 4, not a center.

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Also, depending on the sale of the Hawks. New owner could mean new gameplan. If the idea suddenly turned to rebuild and/or cut costs, then Ainge might be able to tempt Atlanta with picks and expirings.

It's a good point. Hadn't even thought of the ownership aspect of it. 

Also, regardless of how good or bad the team is this season, I could possibly seeing Ainge kinda do what the Red Sox did and that's acquire good players at the deadline with the idea of not necessarily competing this season, but next.

That way, you also are showing Rondo that you're serious about building a contender to talk him into staying beyond this year.