Author Topic: What's with all the Pressey grumble???  (Read 5894 times)

Re: What's with all the Pressey grumble???
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 03:31:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Because people, including you in your post, talk about him like he's something more than the 2nd string PG on a bad team or a 3rd string PG on a decent team.

He brings okay passing, speed, and hustle, but he's defensively weak for all his ball hawking and couldn't shoot a lick last year. Defensive liabilities who can't score don't do much for your team.

He absolutely needs to hit 37% or so on his threes to stay on the court, finishing a layup or two would also be big.
well, you beat me to it. i like pressey, but unless he becomes a good, not fair, 3 point shooter then he has no future in the nba. the celtics could keep him last year, and maybe this year, because they are a bad team and he is worth the gamble since it is only the 15th spot on the roster.

if pressey can be a really good 3 point shooter, then his ceiling is backup on a good team.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 03:38:46 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Yup.  He's more like a poor man's 38 year old Andre Miller.

More like a homeless man's 38 year old Andre Miller.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:42:23 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Because people, including you in your post, talk about him like he's something more than the 2nd string PG on a bad team or a 3rd string PG on a decent team.

He brings okay passing, speed, and hustle, but he's defensively weak for all his ball hawking and couldn't shoot a lick last year. Defensive liabilities who can't score don't do much for your team.

He absolutely needs to hit 37% or so on his threes to stay on the court, finishing a layup or two would also be big.

I wasn't by any means projecting him as first string in my post. as far as shooting better, it would be nice to see everybody improve in that category especially after watching last night's game against the Raptors.  it didn't seem like they shot the 41% that it showed in the box score.  as far as Pressey and his layups, Bradley is just as bad and the both of them need to be  more productive at the rim!!!
I just like the guy because he seems to give us a spark when he comes in but if push came to shove I would have to go with Turner over Pressey.

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Pressey is ok for this team in that he provides a buffer from having AB play point ever again. 

I wouldn't go nuts trying to find a place for him on the team if a decent, serviceable vet were available and cheap.

He's a likable kid and I wish the best for him but in no way is he good enough to sniff rotation play on a decent team.  fortunately for him, we're not a decent team.

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 12:06:16 PM »

Offline Joe Green

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think even the people who want pressy gone, still love his toughness and team play, but feel that:

A. He is now, and forever will be a 3rd string player on a bad team
B. Him being on our roster means we suck
C. Him playing means we are taking away minutes from young players who may actually become good
D. All of the above

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Unfortunately, it makes little sense to compare those guys due to the height disparity. Height matters. Miller can post guys up. It is a lot harder to overcome a lack of shooting when you are also so undersized.

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
He'll probably get cut to fit in Faverani. Maybe wind up in somebody else's rebuild. I'll miss him the same way some do E'tuan Moore.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Until Rondo's back, though, Pressy's the one guy that I really trust can get the ball upcourt against pressure.  Everyone else we're asking to play point guard in Rondo's absence is really a 2-guard (or small forward) playing out of position.  Turner's got decent handles, not sure about Smart yet, but still - it's nice to have a legit, ballhandling PG somewhere on the roster.

I've lost track of the roster, though - are they in a numbers crunch?  It is really an issue at this point?

He's certainly not someone I have great expectations for long-term, or someone I'd be upset about if they HAD to let someone go.  But, I've see Celtics team struggle in the past without an actual point guard to play the point.  Not a guy I'd dump just to dump.

EDIT: Do people want Pressy gone to free up a roster spot for Powell?  That doesn't make any sense to me, we have too many power forwards as it is.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:36:15 PM by the_Bird »

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Or an Andre Miller who doesn't believe in money.

Pressey's obviously a tremendous player -- you don't make it into the NBA if you're not -- but he's not essential in any capacity beyond fan service.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Danny Ainge is a personal friend of Paul Pressey. Phil plays hard and has moments. Kind of fits with this style of pass first offense. Kind of fits with Ainge's desire to get a starting center out of this coming draft also...wouldn't you say?

Phil brings the ball over center line and immediately flips it to Kelly Olynyk who is a better shooter, a better passer and possesses better court vision (because he's five feet taller).

Pressey is a top of the line third string point guard. I'm not sure what that means, but, he is.

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Seems I'm seeing an awful lot of anti Phil Pressey stuff on the forum!!!
As far as I am concerned, I don't think there is anything wrong with including Pressey to the roster, especially given his contract is very cheap. He is a good back up for Rondo and Smart. And granted, he is a great passer.
But
-at 1.80 m. he is too short for the NBA
-other than his assists, he contributes nothing to the offence.
-he is a weak defender
-he is 23 yo so there is not much margin for improvement left.
The chances are that in a couple of years he ll be playing in the Euroleague.
Does this make me "anti-Pressey"?  ::)

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 09:47:18 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
One injury to those ball pushers and we will all realize how valuable Phil really is!!!

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
One injury to those ball pushers and we will all realize how valuable Phil really is!!!

And we're realize how truly awful this basketball team is if Pressey is playing extended minutes. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Spare part PG that can be upgraded (which it looks like has happened)

The team really doesn't need two developing PGs at the moment.

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
you mean that rondo, smart, and turner all suffer the same injury simultaneously?  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva