Author Topic: Jeff Green, Plus First, plus Wallace, For Rudy Gay Rental.  (Read 10398 times)

Re: Jeff Green, Plus First, plus Wallace, For Rudy Gay Rental.
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Pass on Gay, hope Green opts out and let him walk, resign Rondo, deal with the Wallace contract for another year with hopes of moving it in '15-'16 when its an expiring. 

Make a splash in summer '16.  I know its not what everyone wants to hear. 

Hoping Green opts out next year makes no sense when considering your proposal, make a splash in Summer '16.

If your plan is to make a splash in 2016, then it's better to have Green under contract next year. And depending on how much cap space we have, which by my calculations we seem to have plenty even after factoring in Rondo's contract, then it would be good to have Green at 9 million under contract.

So in all, other than we being tight cap wise next year and missing on an opportunity to sign someone because we have Green under contract (in 2015), I can't envision a scenario in which hoping Green opts out next year is of any benefit to us.

Honestly, the more I think about it, it doesn't really matter to me if Green opt out or decides to stay one more year.  You can always let him walk after '15-16 too. 

Yep, with the side benefit that if all aligns and you actually need/want to retain Green in 2016 we'll be able to do so (if we no longer have cap space due to 2015 moves, no viable target in 2016, etc.)

So the only real risk is the opportunity cost during 2015 free-agency, but I honestly don't think we'll miss out on anyone worth having that would be that much of an upgrade over Green (after our cap space is spent).

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 11:56:01 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pass on Gay, hope Green opts out and let him walk, resign Rondo, deal with the Wallace contract for another year with hopes of moving it in '15-'16 when its an expiring. 

Disagree. The summer to make the moves is in 2015 because I think the '15 free agents like Jordan, Gasol, Gay and Jefferson are realistic targets and the Celts will have the cap space.

Who's a realistic free agent target for the summer of 2016?  Sure, Durant would be nice, but I also realize the odds of that happening are slim to none.

You don't necessarily have to address things via FA.  I think some of these "assets" start getting moved around next season.  So the moves might start coming at the trade deadline in '15-16. 

I think this season is another tread water season then try and get Rondo resigned next summer.  That's the first domino & lynch pin.  Once that is resolved, then the moves start coming in spring/summer '16.   Purely speculation on my part. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you want a list of SFs I think are clear upgrades over Green I'd be happy to provide that.

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Paul George

I think Deng/Batum/Iggy are all on the same category as Green and Gay. The "upgrade" argument could be made for those guys too. I didn't include trade proposals for the above list guys because it would be a waste of time.

You must only watch the 3-4 games a year he plays like he is awake and scores 40.   The league does not agree with you.   Was Green invited to play in FIBA?   Nope, Gay was, so there goes your theory.

« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Hoping Green opts out next year makes no sense when considering your proposal, make a splash in Summer '16.

If your plan is to make a splash in 2016, then it's better to have Green under contract next year. And depending on how much cap space we have, which by my calculations we seem to have plenty even after factoring in Rondo's contract, then it would be good to have Green at 9 million under contract.

So in all, other than we being tight cap wise next year and missing on an opportunity to sign someone because we have Green under contract (in 2015), I can't envision a scenario in which hoping Green opts out next year is of any benefit to us.

Honestly, the more I think about it, it doesn't really matter to me if Green opt out or decides to stay one more year.  You can always let him walk after '15-16 too. 

Yep, with the side benefit that if all aligns and you actually need/want to retain Green in 2016 we'll be able to do so (if we no longer have cap space due to 2015 moves, no viable target in 2016, etc.)

So the only real risk is the opportunity cost during 2015 free-agency, but I honestly don't think we'll miss out on anyone worth having that would be that much of an upgrade over Green (after our cap space is spent).

I wouldn't shed any tears if he does opt out and the Celtics let him walk after this season.  However, if he does come back from one more season, I'm relatively fine with that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I wouldn't shed any tears if he does opt out and the Celtics let him walk after this season.  However, if he does come back from one more season, I'm relatively fine with that. 

I would, I value Green quite highly particularly when you have cap space to really go after the talent we need to take that next step, which would make Green's contributions, however marginal they may be, that much more important. It would be incredibly short-sighted to let him go just because one doesn't like him or without using that cap space in one legit upgrade.

His skill and size and his ability to match-up with the good SFs of the league (on both sides of the ball) is incredibly important, particularly in a playoff environment.

To me it all comes down to how much to spend on him and the replacement talent (in particular having someone on the team who can match-up with the top SFs of the league, which is not easy to find). And if our cap space is all used up, over-paying for Green is not that much of an issue for me (with the assumption that the cap space was used wisely).

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Disagree. The summer to make the moves is in 2015 because I think the '15 free agents like Jordan, Gasol, Gay and Jefferson are realistic targets and the Celts will have the cap space.

Who's a realistic free agent target for the summer of 2016?  Sure, Durant would be nice, but I also realize the odds of that happening are slim to none.

You don't necessarily have to address things via FA.  I think some of these "assets" start getting moved around next season.  So the moves might start coming at the trade deadline in '15-16. 

I think this season is another tread water season then try and get Rondo resigned next summer.  That's the first domino & lynch pin.  Once that is resolved, then the moves start coming in spring/summer '16.   Purely speculation on my part.

I think it will be tough to convince Rondo to stay while going through yet another "tread water" season in 15-16.

However, I could see the following happening:

Rondo resigns next summer and DA makes a couple of modest moves (a couple tier B free agent pick-ups.)

And then, DA tries to swing for the fences in 2016.

So in other words, the team returns to being a playoff contender in 2015 and then possibly a championship contender in 2016.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 12:31:31 PM by gpap »