Author Topic: Jeff Green, Plus First, plus Wallace, For Rudy Gay Rental.  (Read 10401 times)

Jeff Green, Plus First, plus Wallace, For Rudy Gay Rental.
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:17:22 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Maybe are last chance to keep Rondo for those that are interested. If the experiment works out, we re sign Rudy and try to lure Marc Gasol Here. If not we loose the Clippers pick to get rid of Wallace's deal.

Re: Jeff Green, Plus First, plus Wallace, For Rudy Gay Rental.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:19:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Why trade for an overpriced Gay? We can sign him as a FA if he wants to play with Rondo. I don't think he will command as large a contract as he has now.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:24:40 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rather save cash and assets. Let Rudy come via cheap S&T, or FA. Don't go pulling a NYK.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 02:29:07 AM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Doesn't make sense for Sacramento. The Clippers pick and Wallace's contract I'm guessing cancel each other out, then it just becomes Gay for Green. Gay is a part of what Sacramento is trying to do now.

Agree that it would just be easier for the C's to try to nab him in free agency this coming year if that is the direction they want to go.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Rondo, Gay, and Gasol isn't a championship level core.  Gay and Gasol have already been teammates.  I don't really want Gay.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:04:20 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
This move is a win-now move, but we'd give up a pick without having an actual contending core. If Rondo really wants Gay, try to get him in FA next year.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 08:13:07 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
No way Sacto takes on Wallace for fewer than two 1sts.  Also, they like Gay and feel they can convince him to stay.  Who knows on that, but they'll try at least.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Ainge might attempt this (or something similar) at the trade deadline if Sacramento has a losing record.

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:21:39 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Rondo, Gay, and Gasol isn't a championship level core.  Gay and Gasol have already been teammates.  I don't really want Gay.

I beg to differ.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:10:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I beg to differ.
begging is so unbecoming.

That group would need at least a 4th (and probably 5th) player at their talent level to be a contender.   it'd be the equivalent of swapping Green for Gay and saying Rondo/Green/Gasol is a contender.  no one would think that's the case.

Contenders will typically have an advantage of the competition at most positions.  Rondo can give us that as can Gasol at PG and C respectively.  Gay (or Green) doesn't really do that for us at SF most nights.  it's usually a wash or a disadvantage for us.
We don't have anyone else on the roster that I would say gives us an advantage over the opposition on most nights.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I beg to differ.

That group would need at least a 4th (and probably 5th) player at their talent level to be a contender.   it'd be the equivalent of swapping Green for Gay and saying Rondo/Green/Gasol is a contender.  no one would think that's the case.

Contenders will typically have an advantage of the competition at most positions.  Rondo can give us that as can Gasol at PG and C respectively.  Gay (or Green) doesn't really do that for us at SF most nights.  it's usually a wash or a disadvantage for us.
We don't have anyone else on the roster that I would say gives us an advantage over the opposition on most nights.

Then it's Danny Ainge's job to find that 4th and 5th missing piece to the puzzle.

What about Sullinger, Bradley, Olynyk, etc?

Are they not on that level?

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Why trade for an overpriced Gay? We can sign him as a FA if he wants to play with Rondo. I don't think he will command as large a contract as he has now.

what he said, so for a one year rental, you are giving up too many pieces for an overpriced Gay. Rather sign him as a FA

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I beg to differ.

Then it's Danny Ainge's job to find that 4th and 5th missing piece to the puzzle.

What about Sullinger, Bradley, Olynyk, etc?

Are they not on that level?

certainly not yet and AB would have to make some unanticipated improvements to sniff that level. 

Sully looks to have improved over last year so he may get there in another year or 2.  KO looks better but he's still got a lot of improvements to make.

I don't disagree it's Danny's job to find that talent but no one just hands you those types of players and you have to get very luck to have them fall into your lap in the lottery.

also, I don't see Smart on that level either until he can bury shots consistently.  he's a good 2-3 years from any thought of being on that level as well.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Seems what is being ignored here is that we'll have more cap space next year. Wallace's salary will be off the books with the trade, and we don't have Green's player option hanging over our heads either.

Not saying I would do it, but I think the whole "overpriced Gay" angle I've seen in a few post misses the point completely.

The question is, will having Gay now thus making us the favorites to retain him or the alternative if deciding not to keep him and having more cap space next year is more attractive than staying the course with Green and Wallace, one who has a player option and another set to make 10 millions next year as well (and in the meantime look for other opportunities). And of course the retention of the 1st round pick.

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Seems what is being ignored here is that we'll have more cap space next year. Wallace's salary will be off the books with the trade, and we don't have Green's player option hanging over our heads either.

Not saying I would do it, but I think the whole "overpriced Gay" angle I've seen in a few post misses the point completely.

The question is, will having Gay now thus making us the favorites to retain him or the alternative if deciding not to keep him and having more cap space next year is more attractive than staying the course with Green and Wallace, one who has a player option and another set to make 10 millions next year as well (and in the meantime look for other opportunities). And of course the retention of the 1st round pick.

It's a good point.

Plus maybe I am in the minority when I say this, but I think Rudy Gay is a better player than Jeff Green.