Author Topic: Can we get Valanciunas?  (Read 2114 times)

Can we get Valanciunas?
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:59:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Is there any way of nabbing Valanciunas from Toronto?  I love this kid, because he reminds me of a tougher, more mobile, and more athletic Roy Hibbert.  He's young, plays tough, and can be our defensive big in the middle for years to come. 

Would something like Olynyk and a later first round pick (like Clips pick) be enough for him?  JV provides a much greater interior presence and rebounding, but Kelly provides more offense.  Plus, Amir Johnson is a good defensive presence down low, and he might be able to mitigate the defensive loss of JV.  It might be overpaying for him a bit, but Olynyk and Sully are redundant right now and a waste of assets on the bench in my opinion.  I doubt it'd be enough and I'm not sure we could entice them to give him up, but I'd love to have this kid in green.  His toughness would be a great addition to the team

Re: Can we get Valanciunas?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
well, KO is Canadian so that may help...

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:30:19 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Aside from the fact that Toronto's trending upwards and is a playoff squad (meaning this is already very unrealistic), by all accounts, it seems like he's the one truly untouchable player on their roster for the moment. 

Besides, they have no particular use for Olynyk since they already have a reliable stretch big in Patrick Patterson, so I think they'd much rather prefer keeping their true center over trading for Olynyk.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lowry, Derozan, Val, and Ross are their core. No chance
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:09:58 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
No chance, not because he's unattainable in talent or potential alone, but because Toronto needs him too much in the immediate sense. They're counting on a NBA starting caliber center from him this season, with eyes on the ECF or better. We can't replace his his role in the lineup, and we can't improve their roster anywhere enough to justify it; we'd need another team involved and decent starting centers are in short supply.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:10:49 AM by indeedproceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
i think there's really only one way... all of the first round draft picks we have for the next 2 years.
lol

..but really though..
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Is there any way of nabbing Valanciunas from Toronto?  I love this kid, because he reminds me of a tougher, more mobile, and more athletic Roy Hibbert.  He's young, plays tough, and can be our defensive big in the middle for years to come. 

Would something like Olynyk and a later first round pick (like Clips pick) be enough for him?  JV provides a much greater interior presence and rebounding, but Kelly provides more offense.  Plus, Amir Johnson is a good defensive presence down low, and he might be able to mitigate the defensive loss of JV.  It might be overpaying for him a bit, but Olynyk and Sully are redundant right now and a waste of assets on the bench in my opinion.  I doubt it'd be enough and I'm not sure we could entice them to give him up, but I'd love to have this kid in green.  His toughness would be a great addition to the team
I like our bigs and it seems like you do too since you acknowledge it would be overpaying to give up one for him.

Is Val really that much tougher than Sully? I don't think so, really just a bit taller that's all.

Zeller, Olynyk, KO, Sully doesn't exactly strike fear in opponents but they do so many other things well that it would not be a good trade to give one up just to get a "tough guy". Add Bass to that front court rotation and I'm ready to roll this season.