Author Topic: Olynyk Trade Idea  (Read 1031 times)

Olynyk Trade Idea
« on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
So I just noticed that Philly has been playing Noel at PF instead of C.  Is that an attempt to eventually pair him with Embiid in the frontcourt of their future?  If so, why not offer something like Olynyk, Fav (to make the money work), and their conditional 2015 pick for Noel?

Reasoning: I think Noel is a C, not a PF.  He doesn't really have a perimeter game, and that's pretty much imperative in today's NBA for a PF.  I know they're trying to recreate the "twin towers" model, but I just don't think it'll work with these two.  Olynyk, on the other hand, is a natural stretch four that would be a perfect complement to Embiid giving him room to work in the middle while being a deadly threat from the perimeter.  Noel and Olynyk have similar ceilings in my opinion, albeit on opposing sides of the ball.  It wouldn't hurt Philly's tanking project at all this year, and it fills needs on both teams. Furthermore, I don't think an Olynyk/Sully pairing will work defensively in the long run, though probably potent offensively, and they'll become redundant and one will be a bench asset that we're not cashing in on.

I think it makes too much sense not to consider.  We'd get our defensive big in the middle, and Philly would get the perfect complement stretch four to Embiid, an unguaranteed contract next year, and a couple of their 2nd round picks back, which they seem to value more than other teams. One reason that might prevent this from happening, though, is Embiid's uncertain health and durability.  Keeping Noel might be insurance in case Embiid's health takes a turn for the worse.

Thoughts?

Re: Olynyk Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:01:38 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No chance we get Noel for that package. We would need to at least add our 2015 1st, unprotected, but even then I don't see Phili doing it, especially with us. They are totally happy to play Noel with Embiid, or build the value of both of them up to land a superstar for one of them.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Embiid's health is anything but guaranteed. Noel will probably gradually work his way into a center as he gains strength and weight. He also can develop a jumper a la Ibaka and be totally fine as an inside out presence.

I don't like the trade for the Celtics either. Olynyk seems to have promise and could net us a proven vet at some point rather than another project.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like Noel at PF for a few reasons but he may be Favors 2.0 and just be better at C. Think it is too early to tell. Philly should wait it out a full year.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Reasoning: I think Noel is a C, not a PF.  He doesn't really have a perimeter game, and that's pretty much imperative in today's NBA for a PF.

Not if the center has a midrange game that allows the PF to work down low in an inverse of the usual set-up.  Think: the Nets' 2012-13 lineup of Reggie Evans and Brook Lopez or the Grizzlies' lineup of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol (though Randolph has a respectable midrange game, he does much of his damage down low whereas Gasol generally plants himself at the high post).  Embiid's offensive repertoire provides just enough spacing to allow Noel to get his clean-up buckets and alley-oops.  That said, Noel already projects as a low-usage, defense-oriented player, so him not being particularly great at perimeter scoring isn't necessarily an issue if he's not even going to be one of the key offensive options for Philly.

That said, if the Sixers want Noel to be their Ibaka, he'll be better served as a weak-side blocker, meaning he'd be better playing PF (if not just on defense).  For all intents and purposes, Noel and Embiid can effectively swap positions on offense (so Embiid can be the "power forward" who provides some spacing, whereas Noel will be the "center.")