Author Topic: Opinion on C's Starting Five.  (Read 9743 times)

Re: Opinion on C's Starting Five.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For opening night I would go:

Turner
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Olynyk

I think Turner presents better options offensively at the PG spot and also in the rotations because if Green or Bradley get in foul trouble Turner can easily switch to the SG or SF position. Olynyk gets the nod at center by default. Given Bass' play over the course of his career here and this preseason, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the PF slot and move Sully to center.

Once Rondo is back though it has to be

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sully
Olynyk

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
For opening night I would go:

Turner
Bradley
Green
Sullinger
Olynyk

I think Turner presents better options offensively at the PG spot and also in the rotations because if Green or Bradley get in foul trouble Turner can easily switch to the SG or SF position. Olynyk gets the nod at center by default. Given Bass' play over the course of his career here and this preseason, it wouldn't surprise me to see him get the PF slot and move Sully to center.

Once Rondo is back though it has to be

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sully
Olynyk
This.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I concur with Nick on playing Turner at PG for opening night and until Rondo gets back.  I don't think Marcus is quite ready for that job.  Plus, when Rondo comes back, Marcus is likely to come off the bench as PG anyway (probably working with Thornton a lot) and I'd like to keep his role consistent for a while.

Until Rondo comes back, my starting 5 would be:

Turner
Bradley
Green
Sully
Zeller

After Rondo comes back:

Rondo
Bradley
Green
Sully
Zeller

The reason I want Zeller instead of Olynyk is mainly to balance the bench, since I think Olynyk & Bass make a better front court twosome than Zeller & Bass and would provide some needed offensive punch and spacing to the 2nd unit.   I also think Zeller is going to eventually be fine once he gets past his 'new guy jitters'  and will provide a better defensive presence for the starting unit.

I'd still want Olynyk to get a LOT of minutes with both Sully and Zeller as well, though and would not disagree with starting him alongside Sully.

I really don't want to see Sully or Bass together much anymore.   That combination has been fairly consistently awful defensively almost every time we have used it the last two seasons.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
I have a tip for everyone who reads this thread, do not read it while eating your lunch, you may not be able to keep it down. Hmmm Zeller or Olynyk, that creates quite a quandary, is the next debate going to be Lil' Caesars or Dominos? How about Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best?

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
random thought - say if Rondo has a injury prone year, do you see Rondo being shafted like Ray Allen did in 2012?

when Allen was injured quite a bit that year, Bradley was moved into the starting lineup. If Rondo is to be injured a lot and missed a few weeks here and there, do you see Stevens inserting either Turner or Smart as the perm starter for the team?

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
random thought - say if Rondo has a injury prone year, do you see Rondo being shafted like Ray Allen did in 2012?

when Allen was injured quite a bit that year, Bradley was moved into the starting lineup. If Rondo is to be injured a lot and missed a few weeks here and there, do you see Stevens inserting either Turner or Smart as the perm starter for the team?

No. Rondo is not 34 years old.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

No. Rondo is not 34 years old.
i believe he is thinking of the second coming of wally pip.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:50 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Turner, Bradley, Green, Sullinger, and Zeller.
So with that group I take it that you believe Rondo is gone and Zeller improves.

I believe Turner is better than Rondo, and we need some interior size.
And Olynyk is not a center.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I believe Turner is better than Rondo

My guess is you might be the only person besides Evan Turner's mom that believes this and that includes Evan Turner.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

My guess is you might be the only person besides Evan Turner's mom that believes this and that includes Evan Turner.

Rondo was the 29th rated point guard in the league last year.
He isn't the player he once was.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Your extremely flawed stats and use of them still doesn't sway me from thinking that even Evan Turner probably doesn't even think he is a better PG or basketball player than Rondo, mostly because, he isn't.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Your extremely flawed stats and use of them still doesn't sway me from thinking that even Evan Turner probably doesn't even think he is a better PG or basketball player than Rondo, mostly because, he isn't.

Also, using PER as your only criteria probably isn't the tack you wanna take when building up Evan Turner's game.

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2014, 04:48:43 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

Meaningless stats. Rondo is a top ten PG when healthy. The question is do we need or want a PG in the traditional sense. Rondo is good at bringing the ball up; but all to often resorts to a PG centric offense rather than a ball movement offense. Celtics still need someone who can probe the defense and kick out or make the interior pass. Rondo can do this as well as anyone and plays more in control than Turner.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

He played part of a season coming back from ACL surgery. Usually it takes 2 years for players coming back from ACL surgery to get all their quickness back. I expect his season to resemble one of his best years, not his absolute worst. Since I'm optimistic, I expect him to put up numbers closer to his playoff averages than regular season ones.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

He played part of a season coming back from ACL surgery. Usually it takes 2 years for players coming back from ACL surgery to get all their quickness back. I expect his season to resemble one of his best years, not his absolute worst. Since I'm optimistic, I expect him to put up numbers closer to his playoff averages than regular season ones.

I don't think Rondo will ever be the player he once was.
But he may help us get into the lottery again this year.