Author Topic: Coach Carlisle apologizes to Parsons after his weight comments  (Read 4704 times)

Coach Carlisle apologizes to Parsons after his weight comments
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle apologized to Chandler Parsons for publicly criticizing the team's prized, free-agent addition's weight and conditioning after Friday night's preseason game.

It was unfair and inappropriate to single out Chandler Parsons after the game Friday night," Carlisle wrote in a statement issued Sunday afternoon. "I have apologized to him and the entire team for this error in judgment.

"I also made it clear to our players and staff this morning that this type of bad example is not acceptable and beneath the dignity of a championship organization like the Dallas Mavericks."

Rick's comment:

"An increase of 18 to 20 pounds is just too much," Carlisle said Friday night. "We talked about it today. We talk about it a lot. He'll get there, but he looked tired out there and a little heavy-legged, and the extra 7 or 8 pounds aren't helping.

"I don't mean to call him out in public or ridicule him, but it's just a fact. He's an important guy for us. We just need him to get to his right conditioning and weight level so he can play his best because we're going to need him to play a lot of minutes over the course of 82 games."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11689085/rick-carlisle-dallas-mavericks-apologizes-chandler-parsons-comments

Do you think he was wrong for making that comment to the media? Should he have apologized?

Re: Coach Carlisle apologizes to Parsons after his weight comments
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't think it should be that big of a deal. Bad execution

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Stupid thing for the coach to say, then back away from.

Singling out players in the press in any negative way is something that shouldn't be done off the cuff.  For weight and conditioning, it should be pretty obviously bad for a coach to say anything at this point in the season other than "needs to get into mid-season form" and, like his protégé Bird would also argue, do the [right type of] work in the summer that improves basketball performance, not necessarily the kind that makes a player look pretty on instagram, a calendar or magazine.

a player can be winded and out of condition without being overweight.  More lifting than running will do that easily.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"We can't tell you to lose weight Chandler-"
"Legally, we can't-"
"But we can say 'tighten'."
"Just stand on the scale in your bathroom, take your weight, then subtract, like, twenty pounds from it."
"Tighten."
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
"Legally, we can't-"
"Just stand on the scale in your bathroom, take your weight, then subtract, like, twenty pounds from it."
"Tighten."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yeah, probably wrong and thus not wrong to apologize.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
"Legally, we can't-"
"Tighten."

best gif.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Problem with Carlisle was that he went with a wrong approach, even if he didn't intend it, he was questioning Parsons' work ethic and commitment to the franchise by coming in in shape.

That wasn't the case of what happened as far as I've seen. Chandler came in at his current weight because he was bulking up. Now, if a discussion is to be had about that approach it can be done in a more sensible way without coming off as questioning a player's work ethic.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Carlisle did nothing wrong. Parsons is a just a weak character who cannot accept criticism even when it is constructive criticism.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is retarded lol

Parsons , man does this guy never stop yapping??  If a coach says your out of shape , and even if you don't agree, shut up.   

Carlisle is getting soft. I apologize for hurting your feeling blah blah blah .   Also opens up the gate for other guys to go wolf down burgers,pizza etc . Likely won't happen but if they come in a little chubb now he has little to say

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
"Legally, we can't-"
"Tighten."

best gif.

Thumbs up to this.

If Parsons is overweight and out of shape then Carlisle has no reason to apologize here. This is dumb.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Carlisle did nothing wrong. Parsons is a just a weak character who cannot accept criticism even when it is constructive criticism.

I don't know, but if I worked my ass off during the the Summer and you have your coach questioning your work ethic publicly that's going to draw the ire from anyone who's criticism it's aimed out.

It's one thing to offer constructive criticism of where one thinks his ideal weight it's to play at, and that can be discussed and what not.

It's another to have your coach questioning your commitment and work ethic publicly, when it's seemingly unwarranted. I don't think anyone would take that type of criticism, particularly if you've worked your ass off during the Summer, well.

That aside, you have Dirk weighing and siding with Parson on the issue, so that's a great way to start losing your players.

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Coach should say whatever he wants or believes. They just made this guy a multi-millionaire and expect him to perform and train at a high level that puts him in a position to be elite.

Whether it's good muscle bulk or bad (I just partied all summer bc I'm a guaranteed millionaire),  he still has a right to criticize the guy.

Carlisle expects more. Maybe this turns out to be a really bad signing. We shall see. I think Parsons got WAY overpaid based on what he's shown. Seems like he can score, has size, but is terrible on D. Fundamentally flawed?

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 03:17:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think political correctness about a player being in shape has no place in sports.   It is their job to show up in shape.

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

I don't know, but if I worked my ass off during the the Summer and you have your coach questioning your work ethic publicly that's going to draw the ire from anyone who's criticism it's aimed out.

It's one thing to offer constructive criticism of where one thinks his ideal weight it's to play at, and that can be discussed and what not.

It's another to have your coach questioning your commitment and work ethic publicly, when it's seemingly unwarranted. I don't think anyone would take that type of criticism, particularly if you've worked your ass off during the Summer, well.

That aside, you have Dirk weighing and siding with Parson on the issue, so that's a great way to start losing your players.

How is the criticism unwarranted if the dude's 20 pounds overweight and not in basketball shape?  If he was really working his ass off all summer, this wouldn't be an issue.