Author Topic: Durant out: C's trade with Thunder  (Read 8306 times)

Re: Durant out: C's trade with Thunder
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2014, 12:15:16 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Hahahaha, the idea that Jeff Green will help the Thunder retain the first seed in place of Durant.

Hahahaha, the idea that the Thunder would do nothing to replace Durant and try to retain the first seed.

Just curious as to what options you would explore if you were Sam Presti. Please provide names don't simply say "sign a free agent".

The first seed's out of the question.  He's their best player.  They play in the Western conference.  If he misses enough time, then they're not getting the first seed.  You might as well just stay the course and wait for him to return.  That's a far better and logical idea than, "hey, KD's out for a few weeks SO LET'S TRADE OUR SECOND-BEST PLAYER TO SALVAGE THIS SEASON.  I mean, it's not like Westbrook is locked up until 2017 and KD's free agency is coming up in two seasons or anything."

OKC made it to the Finals without the top seed before, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again.

(p.s. Jeff Green also has a player option, so he's a pseudo-expiring.  Just pointing that out.)
Exactly. There is little to no reason for OKC to do this. Especially in regards to seeding. They payed too much attention to it last year and Durant was exhausted come Playoffs. A healthy OKC team will probably make the conference finals, regardless of seeding.

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
So stop imagining and look at the actual numbers:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html#advanced::none

Regardless, OKC can run out a lineup of Westbrook, Jackson (hey, he gets to start!), Roberson, Ibaka, and whomever Brooks decides to start at center.  That can hold the fort down until Durant returns.

Where in your link does it list his PER for those 2 years in OKC?  Maybe I am missing it.  I am not saying for them to panic and trade Westbrook.  That is HIGHLY unlikely.  I did NOT suggest that trade!!  I am suggesting a minor trade of Perk and McGary for Green.  That is not trading Russell!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 12:41:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Helps them more than it helps us,   are you a Thunder fan?

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Regardless, OKC can run out a lineup of Westbrook, Jackson (hey, he gets to start!), Roberson, Ibaka, and whomever Brooks decides to start at center.  That can hold the fort down until Durant returns.

Where in your link does it list his PER for those 2 years in OKC?  Maybe I am missing it.  I am not saying for them to panic and trade Westbrook.  That is HIGHLY unlikely.  I did NOT suggest that trade!!  I am suggesting a minor trade of Perk and McGary for Green.  That is not trading Russell!!!

Smitty77

All of his numbers are right there.  9.8 in 2007-08, 13.9 in 08-09, 13.1 in 09-10, 12.9 in 10-11, until he was traded.

I know you're not suggesting they trade Westbrook (even though you did somewhat advocate that silly proposal).  I'm saying that your idea of OKC trading for Green "to keep the first seed" is a flawed one that ignores the reality that OKC simply doesn't have a shot at the first seed without Durant.  There's probably exactly one player they could sub in for Durant if they wanted to keep the first seed and he's not leaving Cleveland.  Beyond that, it's not even imperative for them to get the first seed as, like I pointed out, they've still managed to make the Finals without it.

So if you consider that, what's the point of the trade for them?  Green would only be a Durant replacement for a few weeks, after which he'd become a very expensive bench player.  They can't start him at power forward because he's just not a great starting power forward and running Ibaka primarily at center neutralizes his weak-side blocking and exposes him to injury by forcing him to bang against bigger bodies.  There's also no reason to give up McGary right now; we've seen very little of him so far, but he looks very much so the part of an eventual Nick Collison replacement.

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188

Smitty77

I think this is JGs stats in Sea-OKC (taken from the link posted)

Season   Age   Tm   Lg   Pos   G   MP   PER   TS%   eFG%   FTr   3PAr   ORB%   DRB%   TRB%   AST%   STL%   BLK%   TOV%   USG%   ORtg   DRtg   OWS   DWS   WS   WS/48
2007-08   21   SEA   NBA   SF   80   2253   9.8   .491   .441   .318   .101   4.9   13.4   9.2   8.2   1.0   1.6   15.6   19.4   94   111   -1.3   1.5   0.2   .003
2008-09   22   OKC   NBA   PF   78   2873   13.9   .536   .491   .287   .231   4.7   16.3   10.4   9.1   1.4   0.8   12.6   21.2   105   110   1.8   2.4   4.2   .070
2009-10   23   OKC   NBA   PF   82   3043   13.8   .530   .502   .208   .292   4.3   13.9   9.2   7.2   1.8   1.8   10.4   19.2   106   105   2.5   4.2   6.6   .105
2010-11   24   TOT   NBA   PF-SF   75   2427   12.9   .538   .488   .298   .257   3.7   13.5   8.8   7.2   1.1   1.1   9.6   19.5   108   108   2.4   2.4   4.8   .095

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

All of his numbers are right there.  9.8 in 2007-08, 13.9 in 08-09, 13.1 in 09-10, 12.9 in 10-11, until he was traded.

I know you're not suggesting they trade Westbrook (even though you did somewhat advocate that silly proposal).  I'm saying that your idea of OKC trading for Green "to keep the first seed" is a flawed one that ignores the reality that OKC simply doesn't have a shot at the first seed without Durant.  There's probably exactly one player they could sub in for Durant if they wanted to keep the first seed and he's not leaving Cleveland.  Beyond that, it's not even imperative for them to get the first seed as, like I pointed out, they've still managed to make the Finals without it.

So if you consider that, what's the point of the trade for them?  Green would only be a Durant replacement for a few weeks, after which he'd become a very expensive bench player.  They can't start him at power forward because he's just not a great starting power forward and running Ibaka primarily at center neutralizes his weak-side blocking and exposes him to injury by forcing him to bang against bigger bodies.  There's also no reason to give up McGary right now; we've seen very little of him so far, but he looks very much so the part of an eventual Nick Collison replacement.

Is that the same PER used on ESPN?  Sorry I missed them!!  I am not saying that Jeff ALONE keeps them at the one seed, but it would help keep them in the running and he knows the system well and I think he was well liked as well.  Jeff could actually start at SG for them after KD returns.  Sort of that long SG defender like Sefolosha was for them.  I would throw in a Philly second rounder or another second rounder in this to get Mitch.  He intrigues me, outside of his propensity for smoking weed:-((((  OKC would absolutely NOT need to start Jeff at PF, as Ibaka is anchored there, clearly.  He would try to replace KD at SF, period.  This is really not a bad trade for them or for us, as we get a nice prospect in McGary and an expiring in Perk.  Not to mention how this might help us re-sign RR.

Peace,

Smitty77

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jeff is not a shooting guard, he's a tweener who can play either forward position.  He's never played any serious minutes at the 2 spot.  I haven't seen anything to suggest that's something that could be tenable for a competitive team over the course of a 82-game season.  Jeff Green at the 2 was an idea Stevens experimented with very briefly for a bad Celtics team.

And KD is not moving back to shooting guard, either.  The only realistic positions for Green are small forward (he's not starting over KD) and power forward (he's not starting over Ibaka).  OKC already has a shooting guard rotation of Roberson, Lamb, and Morrow (and Jackson/Westbrook in small doses), so there's no time for Green to play at a position that's not even one of his natural spots.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:16:09 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »

Offline smoogv1

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
Durant is expected to miss about 20 games, why would they make any trades especially for a role player like Jeff Green?

Last year they went 16-4 the first 20 games, lets just say they go 12-8 this year with out Durant a difference of 4 games is not going to make a difference when it comes playoff time, a healthy Durant will.

I think they will be fine.

These oh my god a superstar is injured lets trade them so and so are pipe dreams and unrealistic.

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Helps them more than it helps us,   are you a Thunder fan?

Not true.  It helps them more this year for sure, but we also get out of Green's contract for next year and then, IF Perk shows anything, we can re-up him to mentor our center of the future (still unknown) and to hopefully help us keep Rondo!!!  Don't forget that we also are getting McGary, a very physical and talented post player!!

Smitty77

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Hahahaha, the idea that Jeff Green will help the Thunder retain the first seed in place of Durant.

Hahahaha, the idea that the Thunder would do nothing to replace Durant and try to retain the first seed.

Just curious as to what options you would explore if you were Sam Presti. Please provide names don't simply say "sign a free agent".

The first seed's out of the question.  He's their best player.  They play in the Western conference.  If he misses enough time, then they're not getting the first seed.  You might as well just stay the course and wait for him to return.  That's a far better and logical idea than, "hey, KD's out for a few weeks SO LET'S TRADE OUR SECOND-BEST PLAYER TO SALVAGE THIS SEASON.  I mean, it's not like Westbrook is locked up until 2017 and KD's free agency is coming up in two seasons or anything."

OKC made it to the Finals without the top seed before, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again.

(p.s. Jeff Green also has a player option, so he's a pseudo-expiring.  Just pointing that out.)
Exactly. There is little to no reason for OKC to do this. Especially in regards to seeding. They payed too much attention to it last year and Durant was exhausted come Playoffs. A healthy OKC team will probably make the conference finals, regardless of seeding.

Great point Vox!! Preventing an exhausted Durant is a PRIME reason WHY the Thunder might consider this!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Perkins

For

Wallace and Young.

- Celtics get out of Wallace's contract a year early, and give up a mid-level prospect to do so.

- OKC gives up their expiring deal but get a prospect and a veteran player, both who fill a position of desperate need.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
OKC will probably try to pull off a minor deal, like trading for Jared Dudley or something.

Perkins and a protected 1st for Dudley.

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
1).  Why, in god's name lol, do people actually want to bring Perk back?  Seriously, he's nothing more than a poor man's version of Rick Mahorn and Greg Kite rolled into one player, and he's clearly more Kite than Mahorn.  He's slow, has no offensive game, and his hands are atrocious, never mind the fact that he always brings the ball down and gets stripped by a small guy, which I know was something that Tommy always loved (sarcasm).  NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! ;D

2).  McGary is already a million times better than Collison ever was because he has actual SKILL lol.  He's not out there for garbage points and loose balls (in addition to beating people up), he can actually play, and I wish he was here.  Is he really all that different from Sullinger, anyway?  This is a serious question.  I just see a lot of similarities between them.

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
1).  Why, in god's name lol, do people actually want to bring Perk back?  Seriously, he's nothing more than a poor man's version of Rick Mahorn and Greg Kite rolled into one player, and he's clearly more Kite than Mahorn.  He's slow, has no offensive game, and his hands are atrocious, never mind the fact that he always brings the ball down and gets stripped by a small guy, which I know was something that Tommy always loved (sarcasm).  NO, NO, NO, NO!!!! ;D

2).  McGary is already a million times better than Collison ever was because he has actual SKILL lol.  He's not out there for garbage points and loose balls (in addition to beating people up), he can actually play, and I wish he was here.  Is he really all that different from Sullinger, anyway?  This is a serious question.  I just see a lot of similarities between them.

Because it is an expiring and we likely have to pay Green for two more and we get McGary.

Smitty77

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Durant is only slated to be out 4-6 weeks. I said this about Bradley Beal in a seperate thread. There are still 2 weeks until the season starts which means that these players could be back before Thanksgiving and will be back before Christmas. Westbrook can carry that ship for a few weeks.

Now I personally think that Green would fit well back in OKC. A trade involving Westbrook isn't a reasonable get for Boston but pushing the rebuild is. Lamb and PJIII (neither lighting the world on fire) would be reasonable compensation for our leading scorer on his last year. Both Lamb and PJ have team options next year. I'm not saying we need another SG and PF but they are more valuable in a rebuild situation than Green is.

So here is maybe a more reasonable trade for OKC:
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=p3tldyu

They get Bass as a floor spacing PF and Green as a 3rd or 4th option and we two young guys on smaller deals and an expiring in Perkins.

I'm not actively looking to move Green as I think he's a good player and adequate at both ends of the floor. I would move him for assets which is what this trade would be. I doubt Green is 2nd or 3rd option on a championship team. In OKC he gets to be 4th or 5th.

Imagine:

Jackson
Westbrook
Green
Durant
Ibaka

with Bass/Morrow/Collison/Adams off the bench. That squad would run most teams in to the ground.