Author Topic: Durant out: C's trade with Thunder  (Read 8302 times)

Re: Durant out: C's trade with Thunder
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Basketball and money wise this works out for both parties:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=pnfswfw

Boston
Westbrook
Perkins (expiring)

OKC
Rondo
Green
Anthony (expiring)

For us...Westbrook is locked up until the summer of 2017 with what looks like a very reasonable contract with the new TV deal in mind. He fills a scoring need and can gives us a pretty dynamic/explosive 3 man guard rotation alongside Smart and Bradley. Turner replaces Green in the starting lineup, with Wallace backing him up, which can only increase Turner's (trade?) value. Perkins is an upgrade over Anthony and does provide some toughness inside. Gives us an available roster spot.

For OKC...Green instantly replaces Durant in the starting lineup, but even once Durant returns he's much more willing to be a complementary scorer than Westbrook. Rondo would be the playmaker and set teammates up. One player that would likely get a nice scoring spike playing alongside Rondo is Ibaka, with his ability to hit the mid-range jumper and finish on lobs. A deal would have to be contingent on Rondo re-signing, but Durant being there, influencing his decision, makes it more likely, such as James in Cleveland convinced Love to commit there.

I have personally never been a huge Westbrook ran, but this is a truly fascinating proposal!!!  We do need scoring and Westbrook can flat score!!

Smitty77

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Hahahaha, the idea that Jeff Green will help the Thunder retain the first seed in place of Durant.

Hahahaha, the idea that the Thunder would do nothing to replace Durant and try to retain the first seed.

Just curious as to what options you would explore if you were Sam Presti. Please provide names don't simply say "sign a free agent".

The first seed's out of the question.  He's their best player.  They play in the Western conference.  If he misses enough time, then they're not getting the first seed.  You might as well just stay the course and wait for him to return.  That's a far better and logical idea than, "hey, KD's out for a few weeks SO LET'S TRADE OUR SECOND-BEST PLAYER TO SALVAGE THIS SEASON.  I mean, it's not like Westbrook is locked up until 2017 and KD's free agency is coming up in two seasons or anything."

OKC made it to the Finals without the top seed before, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again.

(p.s. Jeff Green also has a player option, so he's a pseudo-expiring.  Just pointing that out.)

That was before a greatly improved Clippers team.  That was BEFORE improved Warrior and Rockets teams!!  Did I mention the improving Suns and Mavs teams???  The West is NOT the same as it was years ago.

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
The injury is 6-8 weeks. By the time Rondo and Green return from injury they will probably have about 4 weeks to make up for the years that Durant and Westbrook had of perfecting the system OKC has in place.

The idea is pie in the sky and not what a rational GM would do when trying to set a team up for sustained success. Have we also forgotten Rondo is 28 and Green is 30, to Westbrook's 25?

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Hahahaha, the idea that Jeff Green will help the Thunder retain the first seed in place of Durant.

Hahahaha, the idea that the Thunder would do nothing to replace Durant and try to retain the first seed.

Just curious as to what options you would explore if you were Sam Presti. Please provide names don't simply say "sign a free agent".

The first seed's out of the question.  He's their best player.  They play in the Western conference.  If he misses enough time, then they're not getting the first seed.  You might as well just stay the course and wait for him to return.  That's a far better and logical idea than, "hey, KD's out for a few weeks SO LET'S TRADE OUR SECOND-BEST PLAYER TO SALVAGE THIS SEASON.  I mean, it's not like Westbrook is locked up until 2017 and KD's free agency is coming up in two seasons or anything."

OKC made it to the Finals without the top seed before, there's nothing stopping them from doing it again.

(p.s. Jeff Green also has a player option, so he's a pseudo-expiring.  Just pointing that out.)

I think we all know that there is about a 99% chance that Jeff will NOT opt out unless he averages more than 20ppg on efficient shooting!!

Smitty77

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Let Lamb play SF till Durant returns easy enough.

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Does anyone on this blog think that maybe, just maybe, teams are patient enough to just let their stars heal rather than going out and making ridiculous trades to fill the hole in the lineup while their star players heal?

Don't seem to remember the Celtics making panic trades when its happened here in Boston. I know OKC didn't make any when Westbrook went down with knee problems. Its not gonna happen now because Durant got hurt.

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It doesn't necessarily have to be the 1 seed, but finishing with a 2 seed gives them homecourt through the first two rounds.

They have a far better chance of getting a high seed by not trading their second-best player and completely shifting the makeup of the team.  They have a system, it's led them to a lot of success.  Durant's injury is a temporary storm they can easily weather.

I think if Presti were interested in such a move it would have happened during the offseason when Rondo was healthy.

But KD wasn't out then, so OKC didn't need to make a panic move at that point! :P

It might not be though. Foot injuries can be problematic.

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
That was before a greatly improved Clippers team.  That was BEFORE improved Warrior and Rockets teams!!  Did I mention the improving Suns and Mavs teams???  The West is NOT the same as it was years ago.

Smitty77

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything.  You realize they were in the WCF this past season, but unfortunately, they had to deal with an injury in the playoffs for the second year in a row, right?

OKC will be fine.

Basically:

The injury is 6-8 weeks. By the time Rondo and Green return from injury they will probably have about 4 weeks to make up for the years that Durant and Westbrook had of perfecting the system OKC has in place.

The idea is pie in the sky and not what a rational GM would do when trying to set a team up for sustained success. Have we also forgotten Rondo is 28 and Green is 30, to Westbrook's 25?

(Green's actually also 28)

But TP

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014, 11:59:59 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Thanks for the thoughtful response!!!!  So, are you saying that Jeff was not very successful at OKC??  Are you saying that he does not know that system and that he didn't flourish in that system???????????

He most certainly was not very successful nor did he flourish there; he had an average career with the Thunder.  He wasn't a good fit alongside KD and Westbrook since he doesn't rebound enough as a power forward. 

Regardless, I'm just laughing at the notion that Green is somehow good enough to replace KD and help OKC retain the first overall seed.  They didn't even get first seed last year when Westbrook was out; if their best player and reigning MVP misses a chunk of the season, I think first seed is just out of the question this season - no matter what they do - unless Westbrook elevates himself to an MVP-caliber player.  It's like people are forgetting OKC is literally The KD and Westbrook Show, with cameo appearances from Ibaka.

And looool, "KD's out, so they should trade Westbrook"

He was far more than average, especially considering that he was the third option.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3209/jeff-green

He averaged 16.5ppg, 6.7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 steal followed by 15.1ppg, 6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.3 steals, and .9 blocks.

Sounds like a lot of hating on Jeff Green to me!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything.  You realize they were in the WCF this past season, but unfortunately, they had to deal with an injury in the playoffs for the second year in a row, right?

OKC will be fine.

Basically:

But TP

Have we forgotten to notice that something is missing and keeping OKC from getting over the top and winning a title????????????????

Smitty77

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 12:05:01 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Smitty77

OKC will be fine.

Basically:

But TP

Have we forgotten to notice that something is missing and keeping OKC from getting over the top and winning a title????????????????

Smitty77

Yeah, it's called good health.  Unless you want to assert that Westbrook's injury in the 2013 playoffs and Ibaka's injury in the 2014 playoffs have nothing to do with it.

(They do.  They've won 119 games since their Finals appearance and the first and second seed, respectively.  They've been primed for success.)

It might not be though. Foot injuries can be problematic.

So that's why you wait to see how he responds.  You don't just say, "oh man, KD could potentially end up having a chronic issue, let's just trade away Westbrook!"

OKC's whole tenet has been "patience and sustainability."  All of these trades are the exact opposite of that.

Also, you're ignoring that Rondo has yet to show he's fully recovered from his injury.  At least Westbrook managed to play in the playoffs AND be OKC's best player.  Why exactly is OKC going to gamble on Rondo?  Because KD's injured right now?  Yeah, I don't follow.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:23:32 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 12:06:29 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks for the thoughtful response!!!!  So, are you saying that Jeff was not very successful at OKC??  Are you saying that he does not know that system and that he didn't flourish in that system???????????

He most certainly was not very successful nor did he flourish there; he had an average career with the Thunder.  He wasn't a good fit alongside KD and Westbrook since he doesn't rebound enough as a power forward. 

Regardless, I'm just laughing at the notion that Green is somehow good enough to replace KD and help OKC retain the first overall seed.  They didn't even get first seed last year when Westbrook was out; if their best player and reigning MVP misses a chunk of the season, I think first seed is just out of the question this season - no matter what they do - unless Westbrook elevates himself to an MVP-caliber player.  It's like people are forgetting OKC is literally The KD and Westbrook Show, with cameo appearances from Ibaka.

He was far more than average, especially considering that he was the third option.

He averaged 16.5ppg, 6.7 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 steal followed by 15.1ppg, 6 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.3 steals, and .9 blocks.

Smitty77

With an amazing record of PER numbers to go along with that.

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
No reason for OKC to panic. They can plug in Perry Jones and Jeremy Lamb to cover those minutes, and give more shots to Reggie Jackson as well. They can benefit from the development of these younger guys until Durant returns. Look how much better Steven Adams is already from playing some minutes last year due to their lack of talent at that position.

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2014, 12:12:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

With an amazing record of PER numbers to go along with that.

You fascinate me EP!!  He shot around 45% from the field both of those years.  And he shot 39% and 33% from three and 79% and 74% from the line.  I would imagine his PER both stinking years was quite good!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
So stop imagining and look at the actual numbers:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html#advanced::none

Regardless, OKC can run out a lineup of Westbrook, Jackson (hey, he gets to start!), Roberson, Ibaka, and whomever Brooks decides to start at center.  That can hold the fort down until Durant returns.