Author Topic: Beal down: Wiz need SG  (Read 2276 times)

Beal down: Wiz need SG
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:23:08 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Let's use this as OUR opportunity.  We probably will need Philly to facilitate, but let's now find a way to steal Seraphin from Washington.  They have plenty of bigs and need a shooting guard!!!  Thornton could step right in and start until Beal gets back in two months and then be a spark plug off their bench!!!  Or we could trade Turner to them.

Seraphin would start at C for us today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he will be tied to the bench behind Nene and Gortat!!!

Find a way Danny!!!!

Opportunity KNOCKS!!!!

Smitty77

Re: Beal down: Wiz need SG
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:23:50 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Why?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:32:39 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Why not?  Is your supposition that we do NOT need a rim protector or that you are just excited about paying Thornton over $8 million this year??

Smitty77

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:56:33 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'd love to move Thornton for [Seraphin] or anyone of value but there are a couple of problems in this particular scenario.

First Seraphin can't be traded until December. Beal will be back well before. They are projecting 6-8 weeks. Even with caution that puts him back before Thanksgiving.

Second, the Wiz aren't exactly hurting for scoring options on that team. They have Gortat/Nene who are both capable scorers as well as Wall and Pierce who can eat up shots. Young guys like Rice and Porter will probably both get some run at the SG spot in Beal's absence too. Of those guys Rice and Porter could easily check the opposing SG from a physical standpoint.

And, not that this is a problem in the rebuilding phase but, Seraphin always struck me as a PF. He's 6'9" and athletic but I'm not wowed by his post presence. I'd rather have a guy with legit size than eat up a roster spot on a offensively challenged, undersized center. That is why I was genuinely pleased by snagging Zeller, even if his preseason was a pile of garbage.

I'd love to look at Seraphin and think, "Oh yeah he could be the next Serge Ibaka" but I just can't. He's almost 25 and you (usually) know those things by this point in a big man's career.

Nice idea though!

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:25:09 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm all for moving thornton for young players and/or picks, but I can think of one feasible trade scenario to get thornton to Washington.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 06:01:36 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
seraphin is not a center nor is he a rim protector..

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Kevin Seraphin signed his one-year qualifying offer.  He cannot be traded without his consent.  If you like him, hope Danny gets him next summer.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kevin Seraphin signed his one-year qualifying offer.  He cannot be traded without his consent.  If you like him, hope Danny gets him next summer.
Exactly, and even then, I am not sure why Danny would want to add yet another PF or extremely undersized center. Not to mention, Beal will be back by very early December. Washington doesn't need to make any panic trades for just a 6-8 week injury.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Thortons expiring could prove to be way more valuable near the trade deadline than Seraphin. Plus it can't happen anyway for contract, and I also believe, money purposes.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 11:44:24 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Good thinking, but Ray Allen makes so much sense for them now.  He could start the first month of the season or so, and serves as the perfect mentor to Beal.  Just wonder if there's still bad blood between he and PP. 
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Good thinking, but Ray Allen makes so much sense for them now.  He could start the first month of the season or so, and serves as the perfect mentor to Beal.  Just wonder if there's still bad blood between he and PP.

I think it has nothing to do with bad blood, if anything Pierce helps their chances of signing Ray. I think the major factors are that Ray wants another ring, and Cleveland has a much better shot at that than Washington, and Ray also realizes he can't be effective playing a major role anymore, he may prefer the more limited role he would have in Cleveland. I don't think players his age go from contemplating retirement seriously to wanting a starting role with major minutes on a title contender.