Author Topic: reasons for Giannis Antetokounmpo going 15th in the 2013 draft?  (Read 4611 times)

reasons for Giannis Antetokounmpo going 15th in the 2013 draft?
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I been following this guy since last season.   I'm still good with the Celts getting KO.  But i would of been happy also if we drafted GA.  From this past SL play and preseason so far you can tell he has improved his conditioning, looks more confident and improved his jump shot. And his release is a little higher now.  His height, length, skills remind me of KD alot.   Watch the clip below and i'm not sure how 12-13 teams passed up on him. He has "take over game" capabilities.  Was it bc it would of been possibly hard to bring him to NA?  his jump shot?   

If you were one of the 12-13 gms why are you passing up on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58rSw_DCTaU

Re: reasons for Giannis Antetokounmpo going 15th in the 2013 draft?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Kid may be the most overhyped prospect ever, let him prove something on the court first

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:46:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
looks like he has a ceiling of Dirk Nowitzki?

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:15:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

naw.  A poor man version of Durant.  His dribbling skills for his height is definitely advanced

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:19:40 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

naw.  A poor man version of Durant.  His dribbling skills for his height is definitely advanced

And his passing, which is already head and shoulders above Durant's.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:40:07 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I've watched Giannis play and he's not even a homeless man Kevin Durant. But if he's Kevin Durant, then Olynyk is Dirk Nowitzki.

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 11:43:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I've watched Giannis play and he's not even a homeless man Kevin Durant. But if he's Kevin Durant, then Olynyk is Dirk Nowitzki.

I get what you mean.  The issue with Giannis just like KO is that he is too "unselfish" , instead of wanting to take over.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 11:46:34 PM »

fitzhickey

My goodness, I like Giannis a lot but he gets way too much hype.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think he was the "Dante Exum" of the last draft (relatively unknown quantity, young, great tools and potential playing against questionable pro competition overseas), and I think GA is the reason Exum went so high this year. Kind of like how Yoenis Cespedes opened the door for Abreau and others in baseball- the first team that takes the risk that others passed on opens the gates up for higher payment (in this case draft position) of later, possibly less talented, people from similiar situations.

As for the passing up, if I remember correctly, the word was that he couldn't shoot at all. Fresh off of Royce White (good skills, no shot, and anxiety) that people had previously touted as a possible stud, I don't think experts were willing to label a good skill, poor shot type of guy a star too early. That, and people were wary of how good his other skills were and if they were strong enough to translate to the NBA at all due to little exposure in the US. There were questions about the talent he played against, and no one predicted he would grow the 3 inches or whatever that he did.

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 12:26:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

You have seen him pass before, right?  Durant isn't exactly Rondo when it comes to passing, lol, and Westbrook, who's supposed to be the point guard of that team, is even worse than KD haha.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

You have seen him pass before, right?  Durant isn't exactly Rondo when it comes to passing, lol, and Westbrook, who's supposed to be the point guard of that team, is even worse than KD haha.

Kevin Durant averaged a career high in assists last year. What makes you think that Giannis can average that many assists?

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:42:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think he was the "Dante Exum" of the last draft (relatively unknown quantity, young, great tools and potential playing against questionable pro competition overseas), and I think GA is the reason Exum went so high this year. Kind of like how Yoenis Cespedes opened the door for Abreau and others in baseball- the first team that takes the risk that others passed on opens the gates up for higher payment (in this case draft position) of later, possibly less talented, people from similiar situations.

As for the passing up, if I remember correctly, the word was that he couldn't shoot at all. Fresh off of Royce White (good skills, no shot, and anxiety) that people had previously touted as a possible stud, I don't think experts were willing to label a good skill, poor shot type of guy a star too early. That, and people were wary of how good his other skills were and if they were strong enough to translate to the NBA at all due to little exposure in the US. There were questions about the talent he played against, and no one predicted he would grow the 3 inches or whatever that he did.

true to all of those points.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Kevin Durant averaged a career high in assists last year. What makes you think that Giannis can average that many assists?

Because he doesn't pass because he has to, he passes because he wants to.  You can see it in his play.  Durant, on the other hand, has never been a playmaker.  He'll make a nice one occasionally, but it's not one of his strengths as a player, and he seems to view passing as a chore, like Jordan did and Kobe still does.  Hmm, perhaps Durant would thrive in the triangle, where he wouldn't be counted on to make plays for others because, "the system," takes care of that lol.  What a joke.

Plus, KD only averaged 5.5 assists last year - woo; and that's his career high?  That's pretty sad, imo, with the amount of shots he takes and how the ball is always in his hands.  If Giannis gets the playing time, he could average that in his sleep, imo.  Some guys have the passing gene while others do not, and the Greek Freak would certainly appear to have it.  I wish he was on our team.  Now that would be fun - the passing ability of Rondo, Sullinger, and Giannis on the court at the same time.  Passing is contagious, and it would have truly been a joy to watch.  Sigh.  For what it's worth, I never watched his highlights before the draft (I guess that I was being lazy lol), and, had we stayed at #16, my pick was Tim Hardaway JR, who has turned out to be infinitely better than I had anticipated.  Still, I do remember a number of people lobbying for Giannis, and now I see why. 

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Because he doesn't pass because he has to, he passes because he wants to.  You can see it in his play.  Durant, on the other hand, has never been a playmaker.  He'll make a nice one occasionally, but it's not one of his strengths as a player, and he seems to view passing as a chore, like Jordan did and Kobe still does.  Hmm, perhaps Durant would thrive in the triangle, where he wouldn't be counted on to make plays for others because, "the system," takes care of that lol.  What a joke.

Plus, KD only averaged 5.5 assists last year - woo; and that's his career high?  That's pretty sad, imo, with the amount of shots he takes and how the ball is always in his hands.  If Giannis gets the playing time, he could average that in his sleep, imo.  Some guys have the passing gene while others do not, and the Greek Freak would certainly appear to have it.  I wish he was on our team.  Now that would be fun - the passing ability of Rondo, Sullinger, and Giannis on the court at the same time.  Passing is contagious, and it would have truly been a joy to watch.  Sigh.  For what it's worth, I never watched his highlights before the draft (I guess that I was being lazy lol), and, had we stayed at #16, my pick was Tim Hardaway JR, who has turned out to be infinitely better than I had anticipated.  Still, I do remember a number of people lobbying for Giannis, and now I see why.

Really?! Nothing suggests that Giannis could even pass THAT well. Last year his assist to turnover ratio wasn't even good. He'll make the occasional good pass, but will follow up with some baffling decisions. Let's tone down the hype on Giannis, he could easily bust.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 01:16:03 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I watched the Bucks play the Bulls tonight, and all I can say is "wow!!"  The Greek Freak's potential to be a superstar is scary.  I don't think I've ever seen a 6'11" player who can get up and down the floor with the ball in his hands like this kid. 

Amazing!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson