Author Topic: Smart's offensive identity  (Read 6573 times)

Re: Smart's offensive identity
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 12:38:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He's a bust and is completely redundant with Bradley. Yes Ainge, what this team needs is 3 undersized guards who cannot shoot! LOOOOOL

Seriously it's honestly hilarious, what a complete joke. I honestly cant believe he still has a job. The grace period from the miracle championship is over. Either this yer or the year after he'll be on the hot seat and hopefully fired.

AB shoots well he is on par with Hayward and Lance who both got more $ than him.

Smart is a above average sized PG.
DA wasn't at fault to bring in those guys.

Just watch Smart play as far as rookies go he is probably second only to Wiggins right now in impact of the floor.

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 12:48:33 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He's a bust and is completely redundant with Bradley. Yes Ainge, what this team needs is 3 undersized guards who cannot shoot! LOOOOOL

Seriously it's honestly hilarious, what a complete joke. I honestly cant believe he still has a job. The grace period from the miracle championship is over. Either this yer or the year after he'll be on the hot seat and hopefully fired.

AB shoots well he is on par with Hayward and Lance who both got more $ than him.

Smart is a above average sized PG.
DA wasn't at fault to bring in those guys.

Just watch Smart play as far as rookies go he is probably second only to Wiggins right now in impact of the floor.

no use feeding the troll

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I think the similarities between Smart and Rondo are eerie.  Both show tremendous ability coupled with glaring flaws.  To me, both are clearly point guards.  I see no reason to consider converting Smart to a SG or even a combo guard. 

Based only on watching them play, it seems that it is more likely that Smart will develop shooting touch more quickly than Rondo did (or didn't, depending on how you view Rondo currently).  But like Rondo, I think Smart has enough talent and vision to be a legitimate if not very good player in this league, even if he is never a "good" shooter.

That shot is ugly right now but I think it will develop.  I am also surprised at how quickly Smart is developing.  Smart is already develop noticeably from summer league to preseason and I expect that will continue.  I still hope they keep him on the second unit and don't rush him.

I am all in on Marcus Smart.

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Smart 13 points 4 assists vs Nets 19.10.20…: http://youtu.be/xIBmS5VLhZw

0:57 play - the play i was talking about. And 1

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I believe smart isn't driving to the basket because he already knows he can, and I believe smart can be an elite driver and transition finisher. He's not going to blow by people but he will get the rim and finish on almost every point guard because how strong the kid is.

The coach's clearly are the ones telling him to jack up all the threes in the preseason and honestly from game 1 to yesterday's 44min game. His shot has improved almost all his threes yesterday aside from maybe one, basically went in. He hit a clutch three for us and hit one earlier in the game when we needed points.

He's just testing the waters. Kid is going to be special. I just can't wait to see him and Bradley play together more.

Also wonder when rondo comes back we will field a line up of

Rondo
Bradley
Smart
Green
Sully

At any point in time, because our small lineup yesterday take rondo out and insert turner, basically went on a 33-14 run against the Nets starting 5. I believe Stevens has been practicing that small and disruptive lineup with the in the passing lanes aggressive defense. That would be fun to watch, with 4 people on the court who could bring the ball up. Would be fun.

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I believe smart isn't driving to the basket because he already knows he can, and I believe smart can be an elite driver and transition finisher. He's not going to blow by people but he will get the rim and finish on almost every point guard because how strong the kid is.

The coach's clearly are the ones telling him to jack up all the threes in the preseason and honestly from game 1 to yesterday's 44min game. His shot has improved almost all his threes yesterday aside from maybe one, basically went in. He hit a clutch three for us and hit one earlier in the game when we needed points.

He's just testing the waters. Kid is going to be special. I just can't wait to see him and Bradley play together more.

Also wonder when rondo comes back we will field a line up of

Rondo
Bradley
Smart
Green
Sully

At any point in time, because our small lineup yesterday take rondo out and insert turner, basically went on a 33-14 run against the Nets starting 5. I believe Stevens has been practicing that small and disruptive lineup with the in the passing lanes aggressive defense. That would be fun to watch, with 4 people on the court who could bring the ball up. Would be fun.

Coach is definitely  the one telling him to jack up so many 3's, it's pre season. And I agree I think he has gotten better and in the regular season we will see him drive more and shoot threes once the defense has sagged off to try and clog the lane so he can't drive. His outside game will feed off his inside.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yup. 

I agree he may never be a "blow" by you kind of guy , but he can finish through contact as we saw last night. He needs to watch films of Ginobelli and Dwade and develop a "euro step"

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I suggest his "identity" is best defined as "under development."

Last year Sullinger attempted 208 three point shots and hit 26.8%. Stevens did not care as he understands that statistically, Sullinger will improve. There is a "development arc" and Sully is getting there....already.

Smart is trying to figure things out and it may be 2016 before we see the future star we all hope for. This season he will tee up a million 3's.....as his coach is telling him to. Some of these shots look awful as he learns to balance pleasing Brad Stevens and finding his spots on the NBA court.

NBA level defender.
Above average foul shooter.
As Mike Gorman stated during the Nets game...his defensive stance on the floor is one of the best he's seen in a long time.

This season we will watch vet point guards beat him up and a lot of missed shots...next year, he will be a lot better. I suggest next year the "minutes debate" between Smart and Rondo might begin. This would be a good thing, competition will make both players better.

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 07:49:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Last year Sullinger attempted 208 three point shots and hit 26.8%. Stevens did not care as he understands that statistically, Sullinger will improve. There is a "development arc" and Sully is getting there....already.

Smart is trying to figure things out and it may be 2016 before we see the future star we all hope for. This season he will tee up a million 3's.....as his coach is telling him to. Some of these shots look awful as he learns to balance pleasing Brad Stevens and finding his spots on the NBA court.

NBA level defender.
As Mike Gorman stated during the Nets game...his defensive stance on the floor is one of the best he's seen in a long time.

This season we will watch vet point guards beat him up and a lot of missed shots...next year, he will be a lot better. I suggest next year the "minutes debate" between Smart and Rondo might begin. This would be a good thing, competition will make both players better.

Stevens letting his players "launch" has turned out for the better so far.

AB, KO, Sully, Pressey have all improved with their 3s since last season. Hopefully Smart is next

It's prob too late for guys like Turner and Rondo to develop their 3 point shots

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:08:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Smart is a better player in the NBA than college,

He can use his muscle and hustle better ..

I see him improving a lot since summer league .

Give him another year and he'll get his shooting sorted out.

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

NBA level defender.

I agree that Smart will improve his shooting, and I think he'll be one of the best rookies in his class just by virtue of his D and his passing. But Smart isn't a talented shooter. His talent lies in getting to the rim and finishing or drawing fouls. I hope Stevens will let him take wide-open, late-shot-clock 3's but encourage him to make more drives to the paint.

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 02:16:32 AM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Anyone particularly worried how this big guy is just taking threes and not driving? He should be overpowering people all game.