Author Topic: Knicks (0-1) at Celtics (2-1) Preseason Game #4 10/11/14  (Read 11312 times)

Knicks (0-1) at Celtics (2-1) Preseason Game #4 10/11/14
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:37 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
New York Knicks (0-1) at Boston Celtics (2-1) 
Saturday, October 11, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #4, Home Game #3
TV:  CSNNE, MSG2
Mohegan Sun Arena 

Possible Starters

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk

Off the Bench

Phil Pressey

Marcus Thornton, Rodney McGruder, Tim Frazier

Gerald Wallace, James Young

Brandon Bass, Erik Murphy, Dwight Powell, Christian Watford

Tyler Zeller, Joel Anthony

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (hand) out
Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Jeff Green (calf) out
James Young (calf) out

Possible Starters

Jose Calderon, JR Smith, Carmelo Anthony, Andrea Bargnani, Samuel Dalembert

Off the Bench

Pablo Prigioni, Shane Larkin

Tim Hardaway Jr, Langston Galloway

Travis Outlaw,  Cleanthony Early

Amare Stoudemire, Quincy Acy, Orlando Sanchez, Travis Wear

Jason Smith,  Cole Aldrich

Injuries
Iman Shumpert (hamstring) day to day

Game Notes
The Celtics face the Knicks for the second time this week.   The first "home" game was at the XL center in Hartford CT while this "home" game is at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncaville, CT.   The Celtics won the first meeting between these two teams 106-86.   Last season, the series was tied 2-2 with each team winning once at home and once on the road. 

The Knicks should be plenty rested and ready to play since they have only played one game this preseason, on Wednesday against the Celtics.  The Celtics, on the other hand are playing in the second of back to back games and in their 4th game in 6 nights and may be getting a bit weary. 

In Wednesday's game between these two teams, The Celtics shot 48.8% while holding the Knicks to 40.6% from the field.  The Celtics were also 11-22 from beyond the arc and so expect the Knicks game plan to be to run the Celtics off of the 3 point line.  The Celtics shot 25 free throws to 27 for the Knicks but the Celtics made 92.6% of their freebies to just 68% for the Knicks.

Players to Watch

Jared Sullinger scored 23 points and pulled down 5 rebounds in the last meeting between these two teams.    Sully's ability to get inside and post up along with stretch the floor with his outside shooting are going to be very important to the Celtics success this season.

Marcus Thornton scored 12 points off the bench in Wednesday's game. He also got 3 steals and did a good job of disrupting the Knicks' offense.  He will be key off the bench and will be a microwave type player to jump start the Celtics offense if it lags. 

Tim Hardaway Jr was the Knicks best player in these two teams' last meeting,  scoring 18 points and pulling down 6 rebounds.  The Celtics would be smart to guard him in this game.

Carmelo Anthony scored just 10 points in his first game and will be looking to redeem himself with a better showing in this game.  The Celtics need to be ready for Melo to be aggressive on offense in this game.

Keys to the Game
Pace - After their last meeting, Brad Stevens talked about how the Celtics overcame the strengths of the Knicks by pushing the pace and with ball movement and effort.  They will need to do that again, in spite of being tired after playing and traveling the night before.

Defense - There has been talk of the Celtics developing into a top 10 defensive team this season.  So far, they have played an aggressive and scrappy defense.  They will need to keep that up in order to get a second won over these Knicks. 

Spread the Wealth - The Celtics don't have a dominant star player on the team to score a lot of points and so they are going to need to play as a team and feed the hot hand, whoever that may be, with everyone contributing. 

X-Factor
Fatigue
As I stated before, the Celtics are playing in their 4th game in 6 days and in the second of back to back games.  They also traveled from Toronto overnight and so fatigue may be a factor for them in this game as they face a well rested Knicks team that has played just 1 game so far. 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 09:56:36 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Knicks (0-1) at Celtics (2-1) Preseason Game #4 10/11/14
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 07:57:59 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Ah yes, the BOLD PREDICTION. How about Bradley and Bass combine for 15 assists and 10 made 3s.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 06:47:55 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Is this game on NBA TV or league pass?

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:49:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Bargnani will not play tonight, reportedly will not dress. Not sure why, I doubt they managed to trade him.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 06:54:04 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bargnani will not play tonight, reportedly will not dress. Not sure why, I doubt they managed to trade him.

It's preseason. I wouldn't look more into it unless something specific comes up. Teams usually don't play their starters all preseason games.

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
My prediction is that Powell gets a lot of minutes tonight. CBS said he wants to give regulars a bit of a rest, so this opens the door for Powell to show his stuff...or not.

Goooooo celtics!  :D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 07:12:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Really didn't want to start a thread for this crap, so just going to post it here... thought it was funny enough to waste 7 seconds:

https://vine.co/v/OAITz5AZ2up

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
well, Bradley sprained his ankle last night, and of course Rondo and Green are still out, so who is even left remaining out of our 'regulars' that could use rest? Sullinger needs to play to get in shape, KO is not a regular and needs the work, Turner just arrived on this team.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:15 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
thought he was still on the Heat... lol

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 07:16:21 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Really didn't want to start a thread for this crap, so just going to post it here... thought it was funny enough to waste 7 seconds:

https://vine.co/v/OAITz5AZ2up

That was great, TP!

In a related thought, [dang], the Heat were able to somewhat hide the lack of an interior presence with Lebron, but now they are getting exploited inside and look like a bottom 5 team.

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
we win tonight, joel starting in place of Kelly. the only change in lineup.  ;D

"I'm probably not going to play [Olynyk] very much tonight, and I may sit the starters that have been playing the most minutes -- the Evan Turners, the Bradleys, guys like that," said Stevens. "I’m going to play it by ear. We haven't been able to get all of the bigs as many minutes as I would have liked in the first three [exhibition games], so I wanted Joel to play and I want Dwight Powell to play. Those are the two guys that I wanted to make sure we get more minutes tonight."
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:19 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Awesome, we got Scal tonight!

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 07:35:32 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
we win tonight, joel starting in place of Kelly. the only change in lineup.  ;D

"I'm probably not going to play [Olynyk] very much tonight, and I may sit the starters that have been playing the most minutes -- the Evan Turners, the Bradleys, guys like that," said Stevens. "I’m going to play it by ear. We haven't been able to get all of the bigs as many minutes as I would have liked in the first three [exhibition games], so I wanted Joel to play and I want Dwight Powell to play. Those are the two guys that I wanted to make sure we get more minutes tonight."

It is confirmed. Powell makes the cut.

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Bradley for threeeee!

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 07:43:10 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Evan Turner with the ability to play off the ball...............?

Wow.