Author Topic: Anyone watch Kobe's first game back?  (Read 2916 times)

Anyone watch Kobe's first game back?
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:24:27 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Went head to head with Klay Thompson and hate to say it, but he looked great. (For an old man).

Lakers look absolutely terrible- I feel sorry for them they're so bad. Well no I don't.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching him because he's a [dang] good, hard working player that gives everything to every game- a bit like KG. He's such a unique player and it's easy to forget how good this guy once was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVhFCimBl9s
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: Anyone watch Kobe's first game back?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That highlight tape is better than I expected. How well Kobe is moving I mean. He looked like had a lack of elevation on a few plays but seemed to be moving fairly well outside of that. It is sharp turns and change of direction plays that will be most difficult for him coming off that achilles injury as well as jumping off of that injured foot. It's hard to read too much from highlight tape but it was more promising than I expected.

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Went head to head with Klay Thompson and hate to say it, but he looked great. (For an old man).

Lakers look absolutely terrible- I feel sorry for them they're so bad. Well no I don't.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching him because he's a [dang] good, hard working player that gives everything to every game- a bit like KG. He's such a unique player and it's easy to forget how good this guy once was.

hate him because he's a laker, but has tons of respect for him. Shooting a FT with a blown Achilles...man that's tough. There's not many players like him anymore. The league will be so bad in terms of mental toughness once KG, PP, Kobe, Duncan, and all those old timers retire. Well there's also Rondo.

Then you have LeBron cramping out when the AC is out in San Antonio ;)

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:50:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
That highlight tape is better than I expected. How well Kobe is moving I mean. He looked like had a lack of elevation on a few plays but seemed to be moving fairly well outside of that. It is sharp turns and change of direction plays that will be most difficult for him coming off that achilles injury as well as jumping off of that injured foot. It's hard to read too much from highlight tape but it was more promising than I expected.

I didn't watch the highlight tape, just watched a bit of his first game and that was my impression as well. He's effective, lacks some of his jumping ability, but his work on establishing the dream shake for a fadeaway shot looks like it'll be a huge weapon for him.

In all, I certainly won't be discounting the Lakers out or Kobe's ability to elevate that team into a playoff contender, question will be if his body will hold up and how he'll perform defensively.

But I only watched a quarter or two, so who knows...

Edit: Also, that wasn't the first game back. This was his second. First game was against the Nuggets on Monday, that's what I watched.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

hate him because he's a laker, but has tons of respect for him. Shooting a FT with a blown Achilles...man that's tough. There's not many players like him anymore. The league will be so bad in terms of mental toughness once KG, PP, Kobe, Duncan, and all those old timers retire. Well there's also Rondo.

Just imagine if they were all hockey players.  ::)

I agree though, Kobe's definitely a first class competitor. And that's maybe the nicest thing I'll ever say about him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 01:22:53 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Just imagine if they were all hockey players.  ::)

so a fight can break out every quarter ;)

omg that actually WOULD be awesome...brings a little more intensity to the game

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I thought the same thing.  When Kobe is on the move, he's always much more efficient than when he's taking turnaround jumpers.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 10:25:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Lakers are down 52-20 to the Warriors midway through the 2nd.  I know it's just the preseason, but I do love to see a Lakers thrashing.
Yup

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:42:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I watched the game or part of the Lakers Nuggets preseason

Kobe played way better than I expected. 

The injuries don't seem to effect to much......but ....butttttttt

Kobe was looking older ......this past year aged him five years appearance wise.

Age or time seems to be catching up more than the injuries

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 11:12:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
wow, Kobe tonight, 2-11, 4 points, 3 turnovers, and the Lakers are getting wrecked by GS 88-54

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Hate the Lakers!   It is all good.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »

fitzhickey

He better not be back to normal  :-\

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 07:43:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Much hate out to,the Lakers  :)