Author Topic: Celtics (2-0) at Raptors (1-1) Preseason Game #3 10/10/14  (Read 27897 times)

Celtics (2-0) at Raptors (1-1) Preseason Game #3 10/10/14
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:55:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (2-0) at Toronto Raptors (1-1)
Friday, October 10,2014
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #3, Road Game #1
TV:  CSN-HD, NBA-TV Canada
Radio:  98.5 The Sports Hub
Air Canada Center

Possible Starters

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk

Off the Bench

Phil Pressey

Marcus Thornton, Rodney McGruder, Tim Frazier

Gerald Wallace

Brandon Bass, Erik Murphy, Dwight Powell, Christian Watford

Tyler Zeller, Joel Anthony

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (hand) out
Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Jeff Green (calf) out
James Young (hamstring) out

Possible Starters

Kyle Lowry, Demar DeRozan, Landry Fields, Amir Johnson, Jonas Valanciunas

Off the Bench

Will Cherry, Greivis Vasquez

Lou Williams

James Johnson,   Jordan Hamilton

Tyler Hansbrough, Bruno Caboclo

Greg Stiemsma, Chuck Hayes

Injuries

Terrance Ross (ankle,knee) day to day
Patrick Patterson (hand, knee) day to day
Lucas Noguiera (hamstring)  day to day

Game Notes
The Celtics hit the road for the first time in the preseason to take on the Toronto Raptors in Toronto.   Last season, the Raptors won 3 of 4 games from the Celtics and won the season series for the first time since the 2006-07 season. 

The Raptors return all 5 starters from a team that won 48 games last season.  One of their off season additions was former Celtic Greg Stiemsma.   They also were a tough defensive team allowing opponents only 98 points per game.   These two teams have combined to win the Atlantic Division 7 of the last 8 years. 

The Celtics should start the same 5 players as they have in the first two games because that lineup obviously works.  However, since it is the preseason and coaches love to experiment in the preseason,  Brad Stevens may change things up and try a different starting lineup.  The Raptors are starting the same starting lineup that they used last year with Landry Fields starting in place of the injured Terrence Ross.  I expect they will stick with the same lineup for this game. 

Jeff Green, Vitor Faverani, Rajon Rondo, and James Young are all expected to miss this game for the Celtics.  For the Raptors, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, and Lucas Noguiera are all listed as day to day.  If Ross can play,  he will more than likely move back into the starting lineup. 

Players to Watch

Jared Sullinger has been playing very well on both ends of the court.  Hopefully he can be as effective against Toronto's big front line as he was against New York's big front line. 

Dwight Powell showed some nice moves and was very effective in his limited time on the court in the Celtics last game.  I'd like to see more of him.  He'd be a nice addition to the team if they could clear space to keep him.

DeMar DeRozan is a dangerous scorer.  He is averaging 22 points a game so far in the preseason and is the Raptors' leading scorer. 

Kyle Lowry is the Raptors' second leading scorer with 15.0 points and 4.5 assists per game.
This will be a good test for the Celtics defensive back court of Smart and Bradley as they try to contain the Raptors' two top scorers. 

Keys to the Game
Pace and Space
It has been fun watching the Celtics run and space the floor by moving the ball quickly.  If they continue to play like this, they give themselves a good chance to win every game.

Defense

Defense has always been a key to winning.  The Celtics have been playing good defense so far this season and have been very scrappy on that end.  They need to keep that up.

Work the Offense
The Celtics struggled on the offensive end vs the Sixers but then broke out offensively against the Knicks.  It won't be quite as easy against a tough defensive team like the Raptors but they need to move the ball and continue to take good shots and hopefully those shots will fall. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:19:43 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (2-0) at Raptors (1-1) Preseason Game #3 10/10/14
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Let's keep the 20 point win streak going!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:14:15 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Lowry and Fields look a like.   (: 

at
Boston Celtics (2-0) at Toronto Raptors (1-1)
Friday, October 10,2014
7:30 PM ET
Preseason Game #3, Road Game #1
TV:  CSN-HD, NBA-TV Canada
Radio:  98.5 The Sports Hub
Air Canada Center

Lowry and Fields look alike.  (:

Possible Starters

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, Evan Turner, Jared Sullinger, Kelly Olynyk

Off the Bench

Phil Pressey

Marcus Thornton, Rodney McGruder, Tim Frazier

Gerald Wallace

Brandon Bass, Erik Murphy, Dwight Powell, Christian Watford

Tyler Zeller, Joel Anthony

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (hand) out
Vitor Faverani (knee) out
Jeff Green (calf) out
James Young (hamstring) out

Possible Starters

Kyle Lowry, Demar DeRozan, Landry Fields, Amir Johnson, Jonas Valanciunas

Off the Bench

Will Cherry, Greivis Vasquez

Lou Williams

James Johnson,   Jordan Hamilton

Tyler Hansbrough, Bruno Caboclo

Greg Stiemsma, Chuck Hayes

Injuries

Terrance Ross (ankle,knee) day to day
Patrick Patterson (hand, knee) day to day
Lucas Noguiera (hamstring)  day to day

Game Notes
The Celtics hit the road for the first time in the preseason to take on the Toronto Raptors in Toronto.   Last season, the Raptors won 3 of 4 games from the Celtics and won the season series for the first time since the 2006-07 season. 

The Raptors return all 5 starters from a team that won 48 games last season.  One of their off season additions was former Celtic Greg Stiemsma.   They also were a tough defensive team allowing opponents only 98 points per game.   These two teams have combined to win the Atlantic Division 7 of the last 8 years. 

The Celtics should start the same 5 players as they have in the first two games because that lineup obviously works.  However, since it is the preseason and coaches love to experiment in the preseason,  Brad Stevens may change things up and try a different starting lineup.  The Raptors are starting the same starting lineup that they used last year with Landry Fields starting in place of the injured Terrence Ross.  I expect they will stick with the same lineup for this game. 

Jeff Green, Vitor Faverani, Rajon Rondo, and James Young are all expected to miss this game for the Celtics.  For the Raptors, Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson, and Lucas Noguiera are all listed as day to day.  If Ross can play,  he will more than likely move back into the starting lineup. 

Players to Watch

Jared Sullinger has been playing very well on both ends of the court.  Hopefully he can be as effective against Toronto's big front line as he was against New York's big front line. 

Dwight Powell showed some nice moves and was very effective in his limited time on the court in the Celtics last game.  I'd like to see more of him.  He'd be a nice addition to the team if they could clear space to keep him.

DeMar DeRozan is a dangerous scorer.  He is averaging 22 points a game so far in the preseason and is the Raptors' leading scorer. 

Landry Fields is the Raptors' second leading scorer with 15.0 points and 4.5 assists per game.
This will be a good test for the Celtics defensive back court of Smart and Bradley as they try to contain the Raptors' two top scorers. 

Keys to the Game
Pace and Space
It has been fun watching the Celtics run and space the floor by moving the ball quickly.  If they continue to play like this, they give themselves a good chance to win every game.

Defense

Defense has always been a key to winning.  The Celtics have been playing good defense so far this season and have been very scrappy on that end.  They need to keep that up.

Work the Offense
The Celtics struggled on the offensive end vs the Sixers but then broke out offensively against the Knicks.  It won't be quite as easy against a tough defensive team like the Raptors but they need to move the ball and continue to take good shots and hopefully those shots will fall. 
Diggles

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If we see Smart and Bradley continue their defensive tear against Lowry and Derozan would be great sign for us going forward and bad for the league  ;D
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:49 PM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
If we see Smart and Bradley continue their defensive tear against Lowry and Derozan would be great sign for us going forward and bad for the league  ;D
agree. this game would be a good test for our backcourt players. go Cs keep the 20 point margin alive. ;D

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
I predict they'll start slow but keep it close, then blow them out in the third quarter again :p

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the celtics will win again, thereby preparing themselves to be undefeated in the preseason, the regular season, and the post season. records will fall.

goooooo celtics!!!

p.s. tp for flc. thanks for the thread.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 06:15:43 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I reckon this will be the first true test of our offense this  season. Anyway, now for BOLD PREDICTIONS: Dwight Powell gets 20 points and 10 rebounds, Avery Bradley makes all of his 3s and Greg Stiemsma bursts into tears when i sees that Brandon Bass is the only big left from his days in Boston. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
To have a chance these kids will have to put the lock down defense on them.

Also being their first road trip might suck .

Close game would be a moral victory at this point in the season without Green and Rondo.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 03:25:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
As much as I love Rondo, I hope he doesn't come in and disrupt the good thing we got going here (especially if we win tonight).  I would start changing my tunes about not trading him if that's the case.  I expect him to come in and fit in nicely, helping us further.  I expect him to amp up our momentum.  I expect to see the best Rondo we've ever seen.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 04:31:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
As much as I love Rondo, I hope he doesn't come in and disrupt the good thing we got going here (especially if we win tonight).  I would start changing my tunes about not trading him if that's the case.  I expect him to come in and fit in nicely, helping us further.  I expect him to amp up our momentum.  I expect to see the best Rondo we've ever seen.

You say that as if we've had a couple of very productive games. We haven't. Last game was great, but the first one was quite lacking even if we managed to turn it up in the 2nd half.

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Streaking!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20g3QIUnOgY

i have decided, from this point on, anytime I see will ferrell in any celticsblog thread....

instant tp!

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
First real away game and first real opponent.  Toronto is a playoff team with one of the best if not the best SG in the East.

Will be interesting to see how our backcourt does defensively.  Not much chance we win by 20 again.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Dying to see Marcus Smart play D on different guards as the season goes on.  Should be a good measuring stick tonight as these might be the best he'll see in the pre-season.