Author Topic: I already like Marcus Smart better than Rondo as our starting PG  (Read 35483 times)

Re: I already like Marcus Smart better than Rondo as our starting PG
« Reply #210 on: October 21, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
IMHO Smart has still a lot to learn. But this is one of the positive aspects of a Rondo trade. It will give the rookie more playing time, ie more opportunities to learn from his mistakes. I d hate to see him rotting on the bench.

I don't think there's much chance of him "rotting on the bench" in his role as a back up combo guard behind Rondo and Bradley. 

I'm guessing he'll get somewhere between 20-25 MPG this coming season.
Thanks for the reply. Both Rondo and AB are 30+ MPG players. And we also have ET, Pressey, Young and Thornton (some of them can also play SF but you get the point). I do not see him playing more than 10-15 MPG with Rondo in the team. Moreover, I don't really see him as a combo guard. IMHO he has to play his natural position, ie PG.

We shall see.  Personally, I agree with Scal that he might even be able to play a little bit of the 3 in some small ball situations.  He'll make winning plays on the defensive end, regardless of where coach Stevens plays him. 

I'll be shocked if he plays less than fifteen minutes per game. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #211 on: October 21, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
IMHO Smart has still a lot to learn. But this is one of the positive aspects of a Rondo trade. It will give the rookie more playing time, ie more opportunities to learn from his mistakes. I d hate to see him rotting on the bench.

I don't think there's much chance of him "rotting on the bench" in his role as a back up combo guard behind Rondo and Bradley. 

Thanks for the reply. Both Rondo and AB are 30+ MPG players. And we also have ET, Pressey, Young and Thornton (some of them can also play SF but you get the point). I do not see him playing more than 10-15 MPG with Rondo in the team. Moreover, I don't really see him as a combo guard. IMHO he has to play his natural position, ie PG.
Pressey isn't getting any minutes with Turner/Smart/Rondo. Given how raw Young is I'd be surprised if he get minutes too.

I think Turner is going to play a lot of SF to make room for Smart and himself to play.

« Reply #212 on: October 21, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

We shall see.  Personally, I agree with Scal that he might even be able to play a little bit of the 3 in some small ball situations.  He'll make winning plays on the defensive end, regardless of where coach Stevens plays him. 

I'll be disgusted if Smart is only playing 15-20mpg.

Smart is too talented a prospect to be spending so much time on the bench.

My biggest concern with keeping Avery Bradley and putting Smart on bench is how much playing time will Smart get? And will it be enough for him to develop?

I thought Smart alongside Wiggins was the most NBA ready player in the draft. Ready to come in, start and be solid player in the league right away. Not stars but solid guys. Mostly because of their defensive aptitude vs other rookies who are mostly major liabilities defensively + solid offensive games and are good rebounders. So .... Smart, to me, is a guy who should be on the floor. Right away and for major minutes.

So big concern for me -- How much playing time Smart gets.

« Reply #213 on: October 21, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

My biggest concern with keeping Avery Bradley and putting Smart on bench is how much playing time will Smart get? And will it be enough for him to develop?

I thought Smart alongside Wiggins was the most NBA ready player in the draft. Ready to come in, start and be solid player in the league right away. Not stars but solid guys. Mostly because of their defensive aptitude vs other rookies who are mostly major liabilities defensively + solid offensive games and are good rebounders. So .... Smart, to me, is a guy who should be on the floor. Right away and for major minutes.

I was predicting 20-25.  Would that be enough for you?
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #214 on: October 21, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I was predicting 20-25.  Would that be enough for you?

Not really - I wanted Smart playing 30-35mpg - but 20-25mpg looks the best we can hope for.

« Reply #215 on: October 21, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marcus Smart has  not looked deserving of 30-35 MPG. His handle on the offense is tentative and his shooting woes are awful. No amount of playing time is going to fix his poor shot selection or inefficient shooting. Until he has a better handle of the offense and is making intelligent decisions with the ball and hitting shots at a rate that isn't abysmal, then he should get more playing time. But until then, he needs to sit and prove to the coaches in practice that he is deserving of more playing time.

For now, he doesn't deserve to start and once Rondo returns he doesn't deserve to be in the top three guard rotation.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 04:38:58 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #216 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:19 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

You don't think Jabari Parker is NBA ready?

« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
Marcus Smart has  not looked deserving of 30-35 MPG. His handle on the offense is tentative and his shooting woes are awful. No amount of playing time is going to fix his poor shot selection or inefficient shooting. Until he has a better handle of the offense and is making intelligent decisions with the ball and hitting shots at a rate that isn't abysmal, then he should get more playing time. But until then, he needs to sit and prove to the coaches in practice that he is deserving of more playing time.

For now, he doesn't deserve to start and once Rondo returns he doesn't deserve to be in the top three guard rotation.

I'm with Who on this one.  It's rare--very, very rare--that you see a rookie with the defensive mentality and aptitude that Marcus Smart has shown so far this preseason. 

It's a two way game.  Additionally, I already feel that he's shown improvement with his shooting touch from the first preseason game to the last one he played in. 

He's definitely earned a regular spot in the rotation once the season starts. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm with Who on this one.  It's rare--very, very rare--that you see a rookie with the defensive mentality and aptitude that Marcus Smart has shown so far this preseason. 

It's a two way game.  Additionally, I already feel that he's shown improvement with his shooting touch from the first preseason game to the last one he played in. 

Regular spot in the rotation, yes. 30-35 MPG, not even close, especially when Rondo returns.

« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

You don't think Jabari Parker is NBA ready?

I think Jabari Parker will be the definition of an "empty stats" player early in his career.

I expect him to be the worst defensive SF starter in the league. I also expect him to be a prolific but inefficient offensive player. A volume scorer. I think his decision making (shot selection) is very poor and that he will struggle against NBA caliber athletes / defenders.

Empty stats player = guy who puts up big raw numbers (points per game) but doesn't really help his team.

A guy who can get you 20ppg but his team will lose 55-60 games.

« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

Regular spot in the rotation, yes. 30-35 MPG, not even close, especially when Rondo returns.

I guess, we are in agreement, then.  20 to 25, it is.  As good as his defense looks, I don't think he's ready for full-time starters minutes either.  I don't think he has the awareness yet to run an offense full-time as the point guard, and I don't think he shoots well enough to be a full-time two-guard.

I do think he's a perfect guy to come off the bench and provide defensive energy at three positions, though. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2014, 05:19:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think Smart is far enough along in his development where I want to throw him into the action straight away. I want him to play big minutes and learn through making mistakes - in games, against top opponents, with responsibility on his shoulders. The more game experience he can get the better off for his development.

I think a guy when he reaches a certain stage in his development, he just needs to play, and the more playing time he can get the better off he will be.

That is my viewpoint for Marcus Smart.

« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2014, 05:24:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
I think Smart is far enough along in his development where I want to throw him into the action straight away. I want him to play big minutes and learn through making mistakes - in games, against top opponents, with responsibility on his shoulders. The more game experience he can get the better off for his development.

I think a guy when he reaches a certain stage in his development, he just needs to play, and the more playing time he can get the better off he will be.

That is my viewpoint for Marcus Smart.

I respect it.  I still think 20-25 MPG is about the right amount for him in his rookie season.  He'll have ample opportunity to learn and get responsibility in that time. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers: