Poll

What was your greatest disappointment during the offseason?

The players we signed?
0 (0%)
The players we did NOT sign?
5 (12.2%)
Failing to get a top-3 draft pick?
19 (46.3%)
The Love Affair?
9 (22%)
Failing to get rid of Wallace's contract?
1 (2.4%)
Other (specify in comments)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic  (Read 20871 times)

Re: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:13 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
or Boston.
TP anyway.

Before the two most valuable assets in the league dropped out of the sky and landed like $10k plinko chips on the city of Cleveland, Boston was in the best position to get him. Our war chest was (and still is) gigantic.

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2014, 01:55:37 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
or Boston.
TP anyway.

Before the two most valuable assets in the league dropped out of the sky and landed like $10k plinko chips on the city of Cleveland, Boston was in the best position to get him. Our war chest was (and still is) gigantic.

So let me ask you a question. You rather have Klay Thompson and David Lee OR! any combination of anything Celtics had to offer?

Note: We have "enough" pieces to get love  but not as much as we were probably willing to give up. Like I've read on here before. Ainge values his players much higher then the rest of the league does. I cant Blame him. I think my mom is the best mom in the world!

PS. Im a die hard C's fan. Just trying to be realistic for a second

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2014, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
or Boston.
TP anyway.

Maybe yes. Or maybe not. Even with Love we would be a very strong team but not be a contender, and IMHO Love wanted to play in a contender. I think Golden State for one could offer the right package that would satisfy both Minny ownership and Love. 

« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
or Boston.
TP anyway.

Maybe yes. Or maybe not. Even with Love we would be a very strong team but not be a contender, and IMHO Love wanted to play in a contender. I think Golden State for one could offer the right package that would satisfy both Minny ownership and Love.

PRetty sure Chiago offered something up with Gibson, Mirotic, and Mcdermott which would have been pretty enticing as well

« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
or Boston.
TP anyway.

PRetty sure Chiago offered something up with Gibson, Mirotic, and Mcdermott which would have been pretty enticing as well
Sure enough. Although if we did have a top-3 pick, we would have had a fair chance of getting Love, IMHO it is a mistake to ignore other players in the game. Lots of teams wanted Love badly.

« Reply #80 on: October 21, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
or Boston.
TP anyway.

Sure enough. Although if we did have a top-3 pick, we would have had a fair chance of getting Love, IMHO it is a mistake to ignore other players in the game. Lots of teams wanted Love badly.

I'm definitely not ignoring the other teams that were in the market; it's just that we went over and over this calculus already in May and June.

With a top-3 pick in hand, we would have been in a position to outbid GS, Chicago, or anyone else (also likely without one). Thus being able to satisfy Minnesota, the question would become whether we could build a team that Love would re-sign with.

Remember the opportunities that were available to us... no one was talking about acquiring Love and then standing pat. We also would have been in a position to liquidate other trade assets in order to build a complete team- at the time Omer Asik and Paul Pierce were definitely within our reach. Carmelo Anthony was making public comments about leaving NY. Lance Stephenson, Drew Bledsoe, Luol Deng, Shawn Marion, and Greg Monroe were all in play.

Upon acquiring Love, the Celtics would certainly have continued to build a contender in the East.

« Reply #81 on: October 21, 2014, 04:34:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
or Boston.
TP anyway.

I'm definitely not ignoring the other teams that were in the market; it's just that we went over and over this calculus already in May and June.

With a top-3 pick in hand, we would have been in a position to outbid GS, Chicago, or anyone else (also likely without one). Thus being able to satisfy Minnesota, the question would become whether we could build a team that Love would re-sign with.

Remember the opportunities that were available to us... no one was talking about acquiring Love and then standing pat. We also would have been in a position to liquidate other trade assets in order to build a complete team- at the time Omer Asik and Paul Pierce were definitely within our reach. Carmelo Anthony was making public comments about leaving NY. Lance Stephenson, Drew Bledsoe, Luol Deng, Shawn Marion, and Greg Monroe were all in play.

Upon acquiring Love, the Celtics would certainly have continued to build a contender in the East.

Drew's best days are behind him I'm afraid.  (Sorry, it was there) ;)

Yup

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2014, 04:46:25 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Draft reform was voted down.
Now we will have to really suck to get a good pick.
And we are not even in the right conference.
One more reason to feel down and depressed.  :'(

@Houston
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
It's official. The feel down and depressed is back.
No need for alcohol or substance abuse, just share your frustration with the rest of the gang.
So, to begin the conversation, we just set a new record by shooting 1/25 3's, making Harden (yes, Harden) feel proud for his team's perimeter defense.

Re: @Houston
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
No need for alcohol or substance abuse, just share your frustration with the rest of the gang.
So, to begin the conversation, we just set a new record by shooting 1/25 3's, making Harden (yes, Harden) feel proud for his team's perimeter defense.

so is this now a greek tragedy?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2014, 10:37:55 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Reaching  for my nerve meds ....

May not be enough

This was a serious .....serious beat down and let down

« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
On the bright side, Celtics only lost by 14 and Lakers lost by 18 to Houston  ;D

Then again, I wished we'd win or put up a strong fight  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I just can't believe how bad Sully and KO look on defense.  I don't understand how anyone can look at them and think anything other than benchwarmers.   I don't care that they can score a little bit.  what an awful collection of players.

« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I just can't believe how bad Sully and KO look on defense.  I don't understand how anyone can look at them and think anything other than benchwarmers.   I don't care that they can score a little bit.  what an awful collection of players.

To give Sully some credit, there were at least 3 bogus fouls.. He did a decent job, but Sully isn't a C anyways.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: @Houston
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

so is this now a greek tragedy?
Yup, and this thread is an Aristotelian Catharsis of the emotions. No need for pity or fear. We are looking forward to renewal and restoration.