Poll

What was your greatest disappointment during the offseason?

The players we signed?
0 (0%)
The players we did NOT sign?
5 (12.2%)
Failing to get a top-3 draft pick?
19 (46.3%)
The Love Affair?
9 (22%)
Failing to get rid of Wallace's contract?
1 (2.4%)
Other (specify in comments)
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic  (Read 20828 times)

Share your thoughts
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 06:26:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Hmm...Don't see it this way at all.
Elaborate please.

Re: Don't take this personally but
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 06:28:52 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Embrace pessimism  8)

Isn't there a Russian proverb (of course it's Russian lol) that says, "an optimist is a pessimist who hasn't lived long enough?"  ahahahaha ;D

Re: Share your thoughts
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Hmm...Don't see it this way at all.
Elaborate please.

I thought you were kidding. I'm not positive but I think there may have been a compensatory future draft pick or 3?

Re: The all-purpose feel down and depressed topic
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 06:34:27 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Yes, of course I was partly kidding. There was much more involved in the trade than that. 
But still, we did get Gerald Wallace and gave KG and Pierce, who btw just signed a two year- 11 million contract (half what Gerald is getting).

Re: Don't take this personally but
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

Isn't there a Russian proverb (of course it's Russian lol)
Staying within the Russian realm, what  best sums up our situation is the punk song "Everything goes according to plan". (It won't let me use Cyrillic characters...)

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Gotta say if Zeller keeps playing like he has I'm be even more bumped out over that Cavs and Cs trade. Zeller is supposed to be a decent backup.

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 06:49:19 PM »

Offline BigHam

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 16
  • 7' 2" 330 lbs
Evan Turner is going to be just good enough that the other young players defer to him, slowing their own development.
Waking up from a slumber to misunderstand another.

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 06:53:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
  • Are you worried your life expectancy is not long enough to see banner 18 high up?
  • Do you get painful flashbacks of Vitaly Potapenko when you hear the words 'Tyler Zeller'?
  • Do you talk to your children, wife and unknown people at parties about how your team gave up Pierce and KG for Gerald Wallace?
You are not alone. Do not let the optimists distract you with BS about Evan Turner being a late bloomer, M. Smart a miniature KG of monstrous determination and will-power, and KO the next D. Nowitzki.
Repeat after me: "My name is X and I am a Celtics fan"
This is a thread for you to share your sorrow and pain...

When I was a freshman in high school, I hoped that the Celtics would win a title before I graduated.  That was the 05-06 season, and, aside from watching Pierce just dominate every night, especially during that record-breaking scoring streak, I had no idea where we were going.  It generally looked hopeless, and the next year was even more painful, but Ainge and McHale were able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, and we won our first title in my junior year.  I couldn't believe it, but I wasn't really happy for myself.  The person I was happy for the most was Tommy, and all of the other Celtic greats, who had to endure nothing but sadness, frustration, and disappointment since Reggie Lewis passed away.  If anyone deserved that title, aside from Pierce, Garnett (I don't even want to think about Ray Allen anymore lol), and Doc, it was Tommy, and I'm very thankful that he got to watch one more run of contention before he passes away.  I still hope for the same thing now, but I don't know where we're going, except downward, really quickly lol.

As for the KG and Pierce trade, yeah, I still can't believe that, and I'll never forgive Danny for it, either.  Those guys were supposed to finish their careers here, and the worst part of it all is that they wanted to stay, even with the uncertain future, and they're simply aren't many guys in the league today with that same loyalty and commitment to one franchise and its fans.  No wonder Ray left - he was almost traded every year, or at least it felt that way, and he's a future hall of famer as well.  You can't replace talent like that, or their knowledge, and if Ainge had actually drafted well, that group could have aged much more gracefully and successfully, like Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, but, alas, we are where we are.  I would have much rather added the Greek Freak to our team instead of tearing it up, because he would have learned so much from KG and Pierce, and he might have been our Reggie Lewis, but we'll never know, now, will we?  Sigh.  Danny just has no loyalty, which is the very principal upon which our dynasty was founded.  He probably wards off more free agents than the cold weather or anything else that players use an excuses for not coming here.  Just think if you were in their shoes, realizing that if Danny can trade Pierce and KG, he can trade anybody, so what chance would they have?  It's quite a sobering thought.

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Btw, it's pretty funny to see this and The all-purpose "feel good" / pep rally / "optimism only" thread under Latest Forum Topics at the same time ;D

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 07:19:05 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Are we doing quotes???

Quote from: Dale Carnegie
"We are incredibly heedless in the formation of our beliefs, but find ourselves filled with an illicit passion for them when anyone proposes to rob us of their companionship. It is not the ideas themselves that are dear to us, but our self-esteem which is threatened. We like to continue to believe what we have been accustomed to accept as true and the resentment aroused when doubt is cast upon any of our assumptions lead us to seek every manner of excuse for clinging to it. The result is that most of our so-called reasoning consists in finding arguments for going on believing as we already do."

Only if there is a black and white picture of a person next to it.

Haha TP. Makes quotes so much more meaningful.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

Gianniiiiiiiiiis
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 07:37:12 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
I would have much rather added the Greek Freak to our team instead of tearing it up
This one really got me...
Giannis... There are so many reasons I f~~~ing love this kid. I used to live in the part of Athens he grew up, ppl there love basketball and it's really cool to watch young kids play in the open air courts. In America this might be nothing special, but in Europe watching young Greeks, Pakistanis, Africans, Arabs and Philippinos playing all together is really something, and means a lot to us who live in this city (now under the threat of the Golden Dawn neo-Nazis). Giannis is such a great symbol, he made it to the top coming from a really poor family, being African in Athens is far from easy, especially the last four-five years. Plus, Athens is full with Boston fans, we are by far the most popular NBA team- it would have been huge. And as a bonus the kid is so humble, polite and unpretentious. How can you possibly not love him?
And then he got talent. It's not like adding Giannis would have been a sacrifice from the Celtics in the name of multiculturalism. I' ve watched highlights from Filathlitikos, talked with a guy who played with him, watched his highlights from every single game he played in the last season and his games with our national selection this September. If he stays healthy he will become a Hall of Famer. Amazing body, especially his huge hands, great ball handling, he is only 19 y.o.,and  he already shoots and defends pretty well. Give him 3-4 years and he will be a first rate player able to play, well, all five positions.
To make things worse, Ainge traveled to ... Volos (I live in Gr and have never been to this otherwise picturesque sh~thole) of all places to watch him play live (btw the fans got aware he was there and they sang a couple of sarcastic slogans) so my hopes were really high he would draft him.
Don't get me wrong, KO was a solid, good draft choice, and at the time way safer than Giannis. But, it would have been so cool to have a guy from Ilissia playing for the best basketball team in the world.  :'(

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Are we doing quotes???

Yeah

"Save the cheerleader, save the world"

- Hiro Nakamura
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 08:18:28 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald

- Hiro Nakamura
I am afraid the conversation has reached depths of American pop culture, where I am unable to follow.

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2014, 09:06:35 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

- Hiro Nakamura
I am afraid the conversation has reached depths of American pop culture, where I am unable to follow.

lol, my fault
don't worry, I'm used to it  ;)

Have a TP
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
the biggest disappointment of the offseason? 

Voted for Other:
hearing people constantly Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing that Danny didn't build a contender this year because building a better pile of assets than he had going into last season wasn't good enough and that Danny didn't make the team suck enough to get a higher pick.

THAT is the biggest disappointment of the offseason