Author Topic: UTAH-Boston Trade Idea  (Read 6329 times)

Re: UTAH-Boston Trade Idea
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is not a bad trade proposal, but even if Zeller turns out to be nothing more than an adequate backup center, I would still prefer to move a valuable asset like Sullinger for a rim defending 5 or even a 4. Our perimeter defense is very promising with players like Smart and Bradley. Our interior defense with a 4-5 rotation of Sullinger, Zeller, Olynyk, and Faverani is not promising at all.

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
even if Zeller turns out to be nothing more than an adequate backup center
Achtung! Achtung! We basically hope and pray that Zeller turns out to be an adequate backup Center. For the time being, he is a very tall guy in a green uniform.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 04:11:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sullinger looks like, even though he might have some extra weight that, he might be the best player on the Celtics this year. Trade him for another backup center? I don't think so.

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:13:48 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
The Cs would be giving up the more productive player who they have a cheap team option for this off-season. Where as Kanter is RFA after this season.

Not sure that Sullinger is all that more productive. They both averaged 17/10 per-36 minutes and Kanter's FG% is much higher. You could argue that Sullinger does more things (shoots 3s, has better FT% and has higher BBIQ [winshares maybe?]) but overall their production is remarkably similar.

So with most other things being equal the contract situation sells me on keeping Sully. Yeah he's a little shorter but Kanter plays small and Sullinger rebounds tall. Sully knows our system and from all accounts is a pretty good locker room guy.

Also I'm not really sure why Utah would make this trade. They just inked Favors to a long-term deal and he plays mostly PF.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 06:30:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wonder if this should be amended and made Olynyk for Kanter. Olynyk got crushed by Bargs. Could Kanter and Sully become Marc-G and Z-Bo?

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Also I'm not really sure why Utah would make this trade. They just inked Favors to a long-term deal and he plays mostly PF.

Actually, he spent most of his time this past season playing the five and the Jazz front office recently stated over the summer that they view him as a center.  That's why Kanter is more than likely to end up traded this season: because they're probably not going to spend even more significant money at the center position.

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Actually, he spent most of his time this past season playing the five and the Jazz front office recently stated over the summer that they view him as a center.  That's why Kanter is more than likely to end up traded this season: because they're probably not going to spend even more significant money at the center position.

You are totally right about last season, although I have trouble thinking that will be the norm. At 6'10" he's not exactly undersized (at least in today's NBA) but his entire career he's spent 67% of his minutes at the PF position. He's a career PF. I really do expect him to play more minutes at PF this season, especially if Gobert emerges as a viable center for them. I'm not sure that a 6'9" Sullinger is the best guy to put next to him to fill our your front line. Seems like a stretch-4 might be a better compliment.

It does leave Kanter in question though. He and Favors are so similar in style (and almost identical in per-36 stats) that I'd have trouble keeping both on at the salary they paid Favors. I wouldn't be surprised if some team gave up a 1st this season for Kanter. Watch out for them making a run at Dragic this summer and maybe offering a 4yr/$60M deal. Not sure if the famously cheap Suns match that tying up 50% of their cap in PGs.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
revisiting this post thankfully Sully has been playing great and making me eat my words for questioning his work ethic....

Another Jazz trade idea could be Kanter, Novak and Booker for Green ,Bass, Faverani two 2nd rounders.

If Utah doesn't plan on making Kanter part of their long terms plans (speculation) then they could make this trade to better themselves for this season. They could start Favors, Bass, Green, Hayward and Burke. Leaving Burks as the 6th man and opening more min for Gobert. They would need to make a second move to add some big man depth but that is a formidable starting 5.

The Cs would clear up a roster log jamb by starting Kanter and Sully. Having KO as the first big off the bench . That would leave zeller and booker to battle for 4th big man role. Moving green opens up minutes on the perimeter for Turner and Thorton with Wallace, Novak, or Young getting some scraps 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I have no interest in moving Sullinger for Kanter.

And when you add the fact that Kanter is on his contract year this season (qualifying offer / restricted free-agent in 2015) it makes even less sense.

You retain Sullinger and his more friendly contract. Kanter's restricted free-agency coming up is a non-starter.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 11:39:50 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
You are totally right about last season, although I have trouble thinking that will be the norm. At 6'10" he's not exactly undersized (at least in today's NBA) but his entire career he's spent 67% of his minutes at the PF position. He's a career PF.

To be fair, he was a career backup until last year.

1) In New Jersey, he was either going to back up Lopez or Humphries.  Given that Lopez commanded more time over Humphries (both as the better player and the better prospect), Favors became the backup to the latter.
2) Once he was traded to Utah, the only real position he could play was backup to Millsap as Utah had a crowded center rotation.  When Kanter was drafted a few months later, he became the backup to Jefferson, solidifying Favors as the backup PF.

Last season was the first time Favors was made a full-time starter and the Jazz were considerably more successful when they benched Kanter and moved Favors up to starting center.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sullinger is > Kanter.

This was hashed over in another thread and consensus was keep Sully and pass on Kanter.   A bad idea doesn't get better by starting a new thread but then again this is Celticsblog.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2014, 12:26:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
revisiting this post thankfully Sully has been playing great and making me eat my words for questioning his work ethic....

Another Jazz trade idea could be Kanter, Novak and Booker for Green ,Bass, Faverani two 2nd rounders.

If Utah doesn't plan on making Kanter part of their long terms plans (speculation) then they could make this trade to better themselves for this season. They could start Favors, Bass, Green, Hayward and Burke. Leaving Burks as the 6th man and opening more min for Gobert. They would need to make a second move to add some big man depth but that is a formidable starting 5.

The Cs would clear up a roster log jamb by starting Kanter and Sully. Having KO as the first big off the bench . That would leave zeller and booker to battle for 4th big man role. Moving green opens up minutes on the perimeter for Turner and Thorton with Wallace, Novak, or Young getting some scraps

That is way too much for Kanter. Green, Bass, Fav and picks. You have to be kidding.  Take a deep breath and think about that one. I can see a KO+Anthony for Kanter deal go down but a deal where 2 good proven players get moved for a underachieving big has no shot.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I personally don't think Ainge deals away a package with Sully or KO without getting a legit all star player like Kevin Love back.  As he was with Bradley, Ainge is extremely high on both.  If the right deal is there, sure.  But for Kanter, Larry Sanders, Adams, Zaza Pachulia, etc.  I don't think that's the right package.

If Sanders didn't have so many off the court issues, than sure, I could see Ainge packaging one up for his talents.  Too many hiccups with him though lately to take that risk.  Ainge is risky, but he'd be more likely to trade a Bass, Green, or Wallace for the risk on Sanders while Sully & KO stay.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I personally don't think Ainge deals away a package with Sully or KO without getting a legit all star player like Kevin Love back.  As he was with Bradley, Ainge is extremely high on both.  If the right deal is there, sure.  But for Kanter, Larry Sanders, Adams, Zaza Pachulia, etc.  I don't think that's the right package.

If Sanders didn't have so many off the court issues, than sure, I could see Ainge packaging one up for his talents.  Too many hiccups with him though lately to take that risk.  Ainge is risky, but he'd be more likely to trade a Bass, Green, or Wallace for the risk on Sanders while Sully & KO stay.
I can see that as a possibility with Sully. But I wouldn't agree with it on KO. He hasn't shown me enough and he is older than Sully. He should be farther along but isn't. Sully I can see being held onto as you said.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 01:36:17 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

I can see that as a possibility with Sully. But I wouldn't agree with it on KO. He hasn't shown me enough and he is older than Sully. He should be farther along but isn't. Sully I can see being held onto as you said.

I just feel Ainge loves them both.  So I find it far fetched that Ainge is willing to give up either in a trade for Kanter, etc.  I think if they're included in any type package, a all star like Love is coming back.  That's the only way Ainge deals them.

Surprised you feel that way on Olynyk. KO is just 2 years in and really put in the work this past offseason.  Especially on his body.  Looks like a different person out there.  Looks like he's actually dedicated. Extremely skilled and has the height to do damage at his position.  Tons more still to learn but again, he's just going into his 2nd year. 

Regardless of age, I'd liken the learning curve at his position to that of Big Al and Perk.  KO comes from a league in the WCC where he battled some nights with guys that are 6'7" and smaller.  Some teams didn't even bring his size off the bus.  Completely different story here.  Let him get acclimated 3-4 seasons in and then judge.  He's got a chance to find his niche and has the skill set to be extremely useful for any team, rebuilding or championship.