Author Topic: TV Show Draft - Gen Comm Thread  (Read 100902 times)

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Even though I don't watch Mad Men I was very surprised to see Don Draper not go to anyone.

He was almost my leading role as Batman. The other almost was Mark Wahlberg as portrayed in Entourage. I was very close to picking Wahlberg because when Wahlberg does comedy, it is priceless.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Even though I don't watch Mad Men I was very surprised to see Don Draper not go to anyone.

He was almost my leading role as Batman. The other almost was Mark Wahlberg as portrayed in Entourage. I was very close to picking Wahlberg because when Wahlberg does comedy, it is priceless.
I thought about taking several characters from that show including Draper.  Joan would make an obviously great pick as the love interest and Pete Campbell as an antagonist would have been a solid pick as well

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Sweet Jesus, Champ and FWF need to find agents.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Man I am just so happy about this whole thing. I'm patting everyone on the back. Great jobs, Redz and bdm, although I think Brother Mouzone, one of my favorite nobody every talks about them characters of all time, would've been perfect. Stinger Bsll would've always been trying to usurp Clay and his paper tiger act. Brother Mouzone would've just shot him.

http://youtu.be/3-Rzb6fpwBc

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Man I am just so happy about this whole thing. I'm patting everyone on the back. Great jobs, Redz and bdm, although I think Brother Mouzone, one of my favorite nobody every talks about them characters of all time, would've been perfect. Stinger Bsll would've always been trying to usurp Clay and his paper tiger act. Brother Mouzone would've just shot him.

Ugh, Brother Mouzone was probably my least favorite character on The Wire, he just seemed so out of place (though I guess his character was supposed to be out of place).  I always thought, did anybody like this guy?  Now I know.  :P  Though the Wire is probably my favorite show of all time...

With that being said, I wanted to center my show around Omar.  Original plan was for him to be the lead, and I was planning on casting Kenny Powers as his love interest (with Kenny Powers being a member of the Sons of Anarchy like in my current show).

The Sons of Anarchy would control part of the drug trade, Omar would be robbing them, but during one stick up, Omar and Kenny make eye contact, and you could see this spark.  But Romeo and Juliuet style, they couldn't be together as Omar was warring with SOA.  Plus, in typical Kenny Powers style, he would be very closeted, and overcompensating for his sexuality with constanting degrading words for homosexuals. Kinda like Brucie in the Longest Yard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whb_DMmlB-Y

Another Kenny Powers centered show I would have love to make (inspired by StartOrien) would be Kenny Powers driving around in Kitt, solving crimes.  Eastbound & Down style, but instead of a baseball player, Kenny Powers is a crime fighter (or maybe bounty hunter).  Anyway, I could just picture the dialog and banter between Kenny & Kitt, and it would be hilarious.  That would be a great show.

Then when D.o.s. drafted Ali G, I thought man I would love to see Kenny Powers in character on the Ali G show.  That would be hilarious too.

Ya I'm a big Kenny Powers fan lol.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Gustavo took a wee bit from the Good brother

http://youtu.be/Q_R-dxuGt_w
Yup

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The think I loved about Brother Mouzone was his apartness. He's the guy who brings his lunch pail to work for a job he hates but understands it's just what he's good at. Cold, calculating, ruthless, accepting of his role but resenting it at the same time. You could just see his utter disdain for everyone, but that never stopped him from being a professional.

But while Omar is 'a favorite', Id have to say Michael Lee, favorite character. That season, I think the 4th, best season. I don't care who knows.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: TV Show Draft - Gen Comm Thread
« Reply #697 on: October 17, 2014, 09:14:15 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
I've gotten mixed responses from the co-worker folk so I'll bring the discussion here:

Which series should I next spend my time binge watching?

The Wire - Prison Break - House of Cards

Currently the plan was to start with the British Office, then move on to the drama world. And I've gotten good persuading arguments on each of the above shows. I've been wanting to watch House of Cards for a while, but am leaning toward The Wire, but have some co-workers in the middle of Prison Break and lovin' it.... Hit me with your best argument.

« Reply #698 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I've gotten mixed responses from the co-worker folk so I'll bring the discussion here:

Currently the plan was to start with the British Office, then move on to the drama world. And I've gotten good persuading arguments on each of the above shows. I've been wanting to watch House of Cards for a while, but am leaning toward The Wire, but have some co-workers in the middle of Prison Break and lovin' it.... Hit me with your best argument.

I've only just started watching 'the Wire' but I've finished 'House of Cards.'

To me, I'd watch 'House of Cards' just because it's still on, and you can enjoy the third season and the pop cultureness of it when it does.

As far as what to expect - the first seasons really, really good, though it takes a few episodes to really heat up (and you can kinda sense that even from the start, they've got to put the pieces on the board first). Not that the first season was grounded, but the second season loses any semblance of realism or 'groundedness.' To me it's still really enjoyable, but it goes from being a 'really good show' to a 'entertaining show.'

« Reply #699 on: October 17, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Another Kenny Powers centered show I would have love to make (inspired by StartOrien) would be Kenny Powers driving around in Kitt, solving crimes.  Eastbound & Down style, but instead of a baseball player, Kenny Powers is a crime fighter (or maybe bounty hunter).  Anyway, I could just picture the dialog and banter between Kenny & Kitt, and it would be hilarious.  That would be a great show.

That would be so, so, so amazing. And you're completely right about Kenny talking with the car

« Reply #700 on: October 17, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

That would be so, so, so amazing. And you're completely right about Kenny talking with the car

If I had the idea of Kitt I totally would have picked him(it?) first and turned Kitt into my version of the batmobile. Centering around Will Smith and Charlie Kelly going around and solving crimes and often having Brian and Carter along for the ride with the occasional appearance of David Brent. Occasionaly Brian would take it out on his own resulting in fantastic banter as you describe with Kenny.

« Reply #701 on: October 17, 2014, 12:25:27 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
You could really insert Kitt into most any show and it would be instantly awesomer.

Yup

« Reply #702 on: October 17, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
You could really insert Kitt into most any show and it would be instantly awesomer.

So Alf is driving Kitt, when Alf says...

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #703 on: October 17, 2014, 02:17:15 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175

I have seen all of these and as such I feel qualified to give you advice on this matter.

First Off - We need to rank them in three categories; Content, Watchability, and Bingeability.

Content
1) The Wire
2) House of Cards
3) Prison Break

The Wire is one of the greatest, most realistic dramas of all time. There are epic quotes, epic characters, and some really cool plot lines. House of Cards is a blend of realistic/unrealistic, predictable/unpredictable, but if you are into government/law dramas it will keep you glued to your seat. Kevin Spacey does a great job and Kate Mara is solid, solid girl next door material. Prison Break - similar to House of Cards - is a mixed bag with reality and predictability, but will entertain. There are some small slight details and inferences, but for the most part you can just zone out and watch.

Watchability
1) Prison Break
2) The Wire
3) House of Cards

As previously stated - PB is easy to watch. The Wire is enthralling, but can bog down at times. House of Cards is more about the dialogue than the cinematogrpahy - I found myself looking away from the screen and just listening to the dialogue alot.

Bingeability
1) Prison Break
2) House of Cards
3) The Wire

Prison Break can be crushed. Many episodes within a season, but a rainy weekend and PB is a dangerous combination if you were hoping to leave your couch. House of Cards does a good job at leaving unanswered questions and pulling you through the season. Again - I stress - you have to be into this sort of drama to feel the pull. I could see how some could find it boring. The Wire can be binged within one season, but it is a heavy, heavy drama and I often found myself reluctant to start the next season after finishing a finale. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but it takes a lot out of you.

All in all...

I'd say HoC first (only two seasons and it is an interesting, quick watch with awesome characters).

Wire second because it is awesome.

And Prison Break in between Wire seasons/episodes when you feel like you need a pick me up.

Good luck, PJ! And enjoy!
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #704 on: October 19, 2014, 04:00:48 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I gotta say, I felt like an idiot for missing out on Kenny Powers.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.